• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Finally Got To Ride 09 M8 and M1000 Back to Back

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
(09's) The Dragon is 15-20lbs lighter than the M1000SP. M8 SP and Dragon are within 8lbs of each other.
.....15-20 lbs ?.....did you not actually weight them?.....i have an 09 d-8 and an 09 m-1000 sp, both with the 162/163 tracks.....on the same hanging digital scale, the m-1000 was 4 lbs heavier.....with a slp pipe/can on the d-8 and a speedwerx y-pipe and light weight can on the 1000, the 1000 was 4 lbs lighter....with the boss seat on the 1000, it came in 12 lbs lighter than the dragon.....the difference between the 1000 and the m-8 is 28 lbs....so stock for stock, the m-8 is 24 lbs lighter than the d-8....all weights were with full fluids....

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks AKSNOWRIDER.

I will bug the Polaris dealers one more time for a ride.

I want to make darn sure I buy the right sled but, I sure liked that M8 Sno Pro.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
riding impressions of the dragon vs. the m-8/1000....m sleds are easier to ride in the powder....both sleds go very well, but different techniques are required to get the best out of both....if you ride both sleds back to back, you will likely think that the "best" sled is the one that is closer to what you're already familiar with.....i personally like the m sleds a little better, "flickability", or the ability to go from side to side quicker is better because they initiate a turn easier....the powderclaw track gives you a clear advantage in most snow conditions, especially when going slow in the trees and deep snow....dependability of the m-8 is a step ahead of the d-8.....as to your list: no controller needed for listed m-8 mods, stay stock on the m-8 air intake unless you are a good tuner, use a fuel controller that will both add/and subtract fuel and are willing to take the time to get it right, the slp pp skiis are good powder skiis only, not a good all-around ski (too aggressive in set up/spring snow, or heavier snow conditions), the slp slt ski is a better overall choice, boss seat has better foam and is more comfortable, too much rise in the handlebars means you have to throw the bars in a much greater arc to get the same movement of the sled, unless you are very tall, 6'4" or so, the standard adjustable bars will work great, under hood bags are a good idea, vent the lower side panels, gas rack on the back for whatever, cat makes a good one.......when you get your sled (m-8, i assume), lower the front of the skid down to the lower mounting hole (about 3/4 inch, hole already marked on the inside of the tunnel), let the limiter strap out all the way.....experiment with the air pressure in the rear shock to find what works best for you (i use 105 lbs..190 lb rider, aggressive, but no cornice jumping)....ain't having a choice grand?...

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
The BDX box (whatever that is) sure seems to be a popular mod.

The BDX air intake (maybe that's the BDX box?) seems to be very popular too. I'd be happy to use one but, if I'm not going to use a fuel controller (verified this with SLP again today) I maybe better stick with the SLP air inlet?

Who is BDX? How can I research this stuff? Black Diamond ??

Here you go:beer;
http://bd-xtreme.com/proliteperformanceseries.aspx

S
Feb 12, 2008
Soap Lake, WA
Go M8 with SLP pipe and BDX Intake. Side vents are a must. I have a 40/36 helix and it hits hard on bottom now than with the 36. It seems hard on the belt though. I have no BD box and so far so good. Stock air needs to go with the SLP pipe. A weld on the Y-pipe leaks so do an inspection before you buy. Mine was dealer installed And now I'm stuck with labor and down time to replace. Nonetheless the M8 with be setup for cheaper unless you want torque then go 1000 just harder to setup right. I like the simmons better than the Powder pro on my M8.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Setup is key...

The M8 is setup better out of the crate then the 1000, hands down IMHO. However, if you are going to spend equal amounts of money on them, the 1000 will outshine the M8 hands down, but ONLY if the suspension is set up properly. I hated my M1000 until I did some geometry changes in the rear skid, now it handles like the M8 with a whole lot more power. My 1000 is only an 07, but I've removed comparable weight to compensate for "evoloution" lol. My wifey's M8 is setup well (full SLP deal, RKT head and secondary kit), with a 156 x 2.5" Challenger track, and will hang a lickin on the majority of 800's that have tangled with it, but it is a few hp shy of outclimbing the 1000... I may have to turbo both of em next season:eek::eek:

M
Jul 5, 2001
Wyoming
M1000 is no slouch... sorry

Put the mountain tamer rear skid in the 07 M1000 and she flat rips.
If someone is thinking that the M8 will kick a M1000-- I have some frightful news and will dissapoint alot on here.

The m8 is just a sled over the old M7-and it is much lighter than the M1000 4 sure.. but what is makes up in torque and the high mark.. the M8 just is shy and turning out often in the big climbs..

If your into Boondockn' yep give me a M8.. otherwise the M1000 might shake at idle..but is' just begging and wanting to be pointed north....

Dragons.. HaHa ha.. not even

MD

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I completely understand a M1000 will crush a M8 in a climb that is long enough. No doubt about it. I would sure like to ride a M1000 that was setup well. What I really liked about the M8 was how light the front end felt. I could feel the extra weight of that 1000cc engine big time but, it may have just been the setup?

I plan on keeping my RX-1M and I will probably add a front mount turbo (they are $1,500 used now) so I'll have the point and shoot climb niche covered.

I'm looking for a lightweight boondocker right now. Something that screams "FUN". I really couldn't care less if I get highmarked by a more powerful sled. I have no desire to climb up into the rocky crags any longer.

For years I have taken my RX-1M with a 162" x 16 Camo extreme everywhere the rest of the pack goes but, it's WORK to herd that big SOB around the mountain. I'm looking for the polar opposite of that this time around. I want a sled that is flickable like an 84 Phazer but with enough power to climb anything sane that I could encounter during boondocking.

I'm still hung up on track length though. On a big heavy Yamaha fourstroke if you don't have a 162" track you're in big trouble in the deep stuff and that's entrenched in my brain. The 153" track on the Yamaha Nytro is a joke but on the M8 it seems to work amazingly well. Some of that is the weight of the sled and some of that is Powerclaw vs. Maverick.

I'm betting that for 87.5% of the time I'd prefer the 153" over the 162" but on those steep and deep days are when legends are made and you hate to be outgunned.

Apr 21, 2008
Thanks guys, there are a few things I should have mentioned in the original post.

1. I am 5' 10" and 170 lbs. The M8 just suited me very well. Some of the guys that just loved the M1000 were well over 200 lbs. I think the 1000 would be better for someone over 225 lbs or so.

2. I knew my review might twist the tail of the M1000 guys a bit. Believe me, I had no intention of bashing either sled. I just wanted to give a fair and accurate account of both sleds.

I am 6'2" and 155 lbs, my old man is 5'11" and around 190 lbs. We both LOVE our 1000's. Like you said in your original post, the power is completely different, and your mention of the 1000 being more like big-block power is completely true. It gives you the grunt that you don't have on the M8, and in my mind I would not trade. I'm glad you got to ride both, and have made your choice, but I completely disagree that rider size and weight should be used to make the decision. It completely depends on your riding style and conditions.

I completely understand a M1000 will crush a M8 in a climb that is long enough. No doubt about it. I would sure like to ride a M1000 that was setup well. What I really liked about the M8 was how light the front end felt. I could feel the extra weight of that 1000cc engine big time but, it may have just been the setup?

I plan on keeping my RX-1M and I will probably add a front mount turbo (they are $1,500 used now) so I'll have the point and shoot climb niche covered.

I'm looking for a lightweight boondocker right now. Something that screams "FUN". I really couldn't care less if I get highmarked by a more powerful sled. I have no desire to climb up into the rocky crags any longer.

In another post recently you have described the sled you were looking for and it sounded like you wanted the 1000. Given the information you posted above, I would say what you are now looking for is the 8. If you are going to have your point and shoot sled, then just go for the 8 and you'll have both avenues covered.

Premium Features