• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Filter pods on a 900 EFI king???

Jul 22, 2009
Anyone running filer pods on a 900 King Cat EFI? I'm seriously tossing around the idea.

I already have the 2Cool side vents and some home made venting up on the dash (six 2.5" holes on the top of the dash). If I were to do the filter pods I'd do a headlight delete too and turn that into one big vent. Naturally I'd add a fueld controller too.

So what are your guys thoughts? Who has done it and would you do it again? Will I have enough venting? I like the idea of shedding several pounds between the headlight and airbox and hopefully gaining a couple horsepower through fine tuned tuning.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I guess it all depends on how much outside air you are getting under your hood. Basically colder air = more oxygen. hotter air = less oxygen. More oxygen = more horsepower.

Jul 22, 2009
Pulled the airbox tonight to really think this one over and this is what I found... Uhhhhhhhhh....

Now what? Is this what they all look like? How are you guys running pods with the steering post literally brushing up against the intake manifold?

Intake manifold 3.jpg Intake manifold1.jpg

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
How long has it been since you greased your jack shaft bearing? It looks like you have had trouble for some time and if you would have pulled your box to grease the bearing you may have caught this before you wrecked your bodies. Either a broken motor mount or possible the nut came off your bell crank and it started flopping around. Kinda sucks.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
There is a small divit in the edge of the TB from the post hitting but not bad. It is common for the nut at the bottom of the post to come loose and allow it to flop around some but if it fell off you would have serious steering issues. Take the belly pan off to get access to this nut.

As for how tight the clearance is between the TB and post, that is how these EFI sleds are. A picture of mine would look identical. The OP should make sure his post is not bent. The clearance to the TB shouldn't change as you turn full left/right. Wildchild can build you a post with a bow if you really want to run pods.

If you have a few grease gun accessories you can lube the bearing without removing the box.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Yeah, they are tight. I know mine bearly has enough room for the air box boot to slip over the TB because of the steering post clearance. Carbed sleds have alot more room.

K

kingkat1150

Jan 27, 2010
belgrade mt
Your post must be bent. The efi only has at most 1/4 inch of room so it may be bent or may be something listed by the other guys. Dont run pods. the air box works great if you can get some vents in it one way or another. We all seem to have a good fix for this it is only a matter of what you like.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
After doing a proper clutch alignment my clearance got even tighter. The post has worn a bit of a hole in the boot. The only way to get the air box back in is to dismantle it and guide the boot on to the TB from the inside.

K

kingkat1150

Jan 27, 2010
belgrade mt
Wow I wonder if your bulkhead isnt bent. One quick way to tell is if your hood has to be pulled out a little to go around the ridge of the bell pans kinda like to much bow in them. Also look at your front rubber motor mounts and see if they look like they are pushed back on the bottom. If they are pushed back it is also pushing you motor back.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Nothing bent on mine. Been that way since day one. Bud has same sled, same clearance.

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
solution..front mount steering post...plus it is a great addition to any 1M chassis

S
Sep 16, 2010
I don't have a 1M anymore, but when I did I found the SLP cold air intake for the kingcats/mountaincats worked best. It fits clean and you'll get lots of air. All you have to replace is the lid of the airbox (the toolbox) and add the vent screen into the hood.

Pods generally suck in my opinion. All they do is feed hot, underhood air into the motor. If you don't like the SLP option, do some forum searches and you'll find lots of similar options which will feed your sled fresh air from outside of the hood (and the higher up on the sled the better!).

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
I had a zr900 drag sled with a 1010 in it a few yrs back went with pods pain in the *** has about 1/4 between carb and post.was running boondocker nos in the end of the pod that was 1 more can of worms to mount would not do it again I would just gut box with lots of frogskin over lots of holes pain to mount electronics servo ext ext for pods that did not work with out having to dent in post pod

arcticcatwill

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, id
Cover up the vents in the intake ducting to the inside of the sled, above the footwell. Pop the vent out and youll see what I am taking about. Or you can make or buy a turbo air box but put a big pod on it instead of a charge tube. But Im for the stock setup, just plug the vents to the inside of the sled. Then it is all cold air coming in. Old snow flaps work for material.

Will

Premium Features