• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Extending '05 Fusion rear skid beyond a 144"

C
Nov 5, 2009
Viva Las Vegas
I'm currently riding a '05 900 Fusion and have extended the track to 144" and still finding myself trenching in the powder when climbing some steep hills and my brother's king cat blasts up the hills like a walk in a park. Anyhow embarassing, but understable since his track is a 163".

I'm considering extending my track to a 159" and buying a used rmk rear skid. The only problem is that I dont see a tunnel conversion to go from a 121" to a 159". I have seen people extend Arctic Cat Z1 turbos to 163" tracks. Does anybody know where I could find a tunnel kit, and also would you recommend attempting to extend the track that long? Could I run into some major problems? I have already re-clutched and have the gears to match a long track rmk '05 -'06. Advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
you can get the VanAmburg bumper extenstion for it...it will also extend your tunnel out more as well..not sure how far, but check the website, you will see it in the bumper section.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I'm currently riding a '05 900 Fusion and have extended the track to 144" and still finding myself trenching in the powder when climbing some steep hills and my brother's king cat blasts up the hills like a walk in a park. Anyhow embarassing, but understable since his track is a 163".

I'm considering extending my track to a 159" and buying a used rmk rear skid. The only problem is that I dont see a tunnel conversion to go from a 121" to a 159". I have seen people extend Arctic Cat Z1 turbos to 163" tracks. Does anybody know where I could find a tunnel kit, and also would you recommend attempting to extend the track that long? Could I run into some major problems? I have already re-clutched and have the gears to match a long track rmk '05 -'06. Advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Would you post a pic of your creation for us? I'd love to see it.

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
SLP and Fabcraft are also good places to find extensions, but most tunnel manufacturers, rail and track suppliers should be able to steer you in the right dirrection.

C
Nov 5, 2009
Viva Las Vegas
The trouble maker!

Gents, Thanks for the input! The fabcraft tunnel is the way to go if you got the dough, but I would need some good nights at the craps table to pick up one of those tunnels.

Guido, would the bumper extension be enough tunnel? If the 155" - 166" bumper extension is 11 inches, and 11 inches plus 144 gets me to 155. Would four inches not matter if I'm trying to pick up a 159 rear skid or I have no f*ckn idea what I'm doing....

Per your request Dan here is the trouble maker!
picture.php

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
LOL...

now that i am looking at your sled...the only issue that would concern me..

the side of the VE bumper...it slides down the side of the tunnel in the rear..but i am not sure if it would fit your fusion side..

my buddy used this idea on his 05 RMK 900...he went from a 151-159...worked great...but like i said..compare the sides..and if you think you can swing it..do it..

or buy a sick VE boondock tunnel, 159" track, 159 rails, 09 RMK front end conversion, IQ hood, and seat, and rock that baby ;)

O

otterpoo

Jan 17, 2010
Far East, Maine
Along this discussion:
What do I need to do to convert my 900 Switchback 144 to the specs of an RMK 155-159? Do I only need the gearing and rails/track or will I need the entire skid?

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Along this discussion:
What do I need to do to convert my 900 Switchback 144 to the specs of an RMK 155-159? Do I only need the gearing and rails/track or will I need the entire skid?

The easiest thing for you to do is fill your tunnel up, as I'm sure you know our 144 Switchbacks have the same tunnel as a 151. This is exactly what I did, a set of rail extensions and a 151 x 2.4 track. If you want to go longer someone else might be able to help, I have no experience in that. I can tell you my 151 keeps up with or passes 154 XP's and 153 M8's with ease, and creams my friends piped 800 155 RMK.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Gents, Thanks for the input! The fabcraft tunnel is the way to go if you got the dough, but I would need some good nights at the craps table to pick up one of those tunnels.

Guido, would the bumper extension be enough tunnel? If the 155" - 166" bumper extension is 11 inches, and 11 inches plus 144 gets me to 155. Would four inches not matter if I'm trying to pick up a 159 rear skid or I have no f*ckn idea what I'm doing....

Per your request Dan here is the trouble maker!
Thank you sir, I like unique sleds and yours certainly fits that category. I would say so long as your tunnel width is the same as our RMK's nothing but a little custom cutting could stop you from using an RMK extension. My sled is right out on my front lawn if you need some measuring done let me know.

Premium Features