• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Edge vs. RMK

Kd2006

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2013
North Central Montana
Hello, I just joined cause this is where I thought I'd get the most help, and I don't know where to go with this.

I am looking at buying a 2003 polaris edge 800. It has a 153" finger track brand new.

The only other polaris I've ridden is a 2001 rmk 800 144" track.

I was just curious on others people's experiences on rmk vs edge. Are there any complaints about the edge chassis, any good things for the edge over the older rmk's?

Any reply would be helpful.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
In 2002 Polaris moved to the Edge chassis for the RMKs. So is the 2003 you are looking at an Edge RMK or just an Edge (like an XC).

Generally speaking the Edge RMK is a better chassis in my opinion. But it is also a bit heavier in stock trim than the Gen II (2000/2001). The bar height on the Edge RMK is better, more track clearance in the tunnel, and the changes to the front suspension made it handle better.

But in general, I would say that a Gen II RMK and Edge RMK are pretty even in off trail performance.

If its a standard Edge XC that has been long tracked, then you are looking at wider ski stance and such that might not be so good off trail.

sled_guy

Kd2006

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2013
North Central Montana
Thank you very much. It is the edge rmk. Big single slp pipe, bar risers, and a few other add ons. 3500 miles, but only 50 miles on a fresh rebuild with new crank and pistons. Priced right, so I'm pursuing it.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
did they make a 153 finger? or you mean 151?
edge vs. gen 2 id go edge all the way. i thought the VES motor pulled harder and they were lighter. i knew a lot of gen 2 guys that never bothered with the edge chassis, i never understood that, the same guys who sold their 98 rmks for a gen 2.... ?

Premium Features