• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ecu code 17 question???

D
Nov 26, 2007
hayden Idaho
last weekend my brothers 08 M1000 took a nose dive into a giant hemlock!! After many swear words and a few laughs from some, getting it back on the road, he was riding it out and the wrench light came on with the ecu code17.. Can someone explain this? thanks

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
Code 17 is the exhaust temp sensor right in the middle of the expansion chamber on the pipe. About a hundo from your dealer. If you start getting other codes like a 4 or 2 just ignore them until you change the Exhaust temp sensor, the failing sensor seems to throw other codes. You can run the sled with the bad sensor for awhile but it will retard the timing and most likely eventually fail. They seem to be a little fragile so a good crash could have jacked it up.

J
Jun 22, 2008
Livermore, CA
It IS the Exhaust Temp Sensor, but it could just be a broken wire. Check 'em carefully. You can also test the sensor with an ohmeter. The correct resistance is posted on here somewhere.

-Jeff

B

BCP

Feb 26, 2008
Bay City
Correct resist is 200-600 ohms. There is also a little white pc of plastic that sticks out of the connection on the wire side, this wears a spot through the wire also, I clipped mine off when I replaced my sensor and no more problems. $109 at the dealer, be sure to check or have the dealer check the new one for correct resistance, I bought a NEW one on a trip got it back and it was bad, save yourself the trip and the trouble!

Dec 11, 2007
Rigby ID.
Expensive Sensors

If Ya Are Short On Cash Like The Rest Of Us & Want To Fix It For Good For
$$$$$$$ .99 Cents And A Few Min Of You Time Go To Radio Shack & Buy
A Packet Of 470 Ohm Resistors For 0.99 Cents & Take Your Sensor Out
And Cut Wires About 2" From Plug Bare & Solder In Resistor. Then Take A Piece Of Duct Tape And Stick It To It Then Put Some Silicone Over
Resistor & Fold Duct Tape Over Silicone & Resistor. Let Dry Over Night
Plug It In To Wire Harnes & Cut Wires Off At Sensor & Put Back In Pipe
Problem Solved For Ever. Some Times When You Run Race Gas It Takes
The Sensors Out To Expensive To Buy Every 300 Miles Cause Of Race Gas
Just Make Sure You Warm Up Motor & Pipe Before You Lay On It Hard As
It Gives It Full Timming Curve Even When Cold Could Do Some Engine
Damage!!!! Just Make Sure To Warm Up A Bit Have Fun
P.S It Only Take One Resistor & They Cme In A Package Of 5 For 0.99
So If Ya Have Buddies You Can Give Them One And Save There Day Smeday

D
Nov 26, 2007
hayden Idaho
ecu code 17

just another quick question. what happens to all those who pipe their sled do they just remove and unplug this sensor? we don't want it to ruin our day while riding as the snow is very good now. we will check the plug in and stuff. just curious if this sensor could indeed be unplugged.

thanks

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
Most aftermarket pipes have a place for the pipe sensor. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing that you can't just unplug the sensor. I guess you could unplug it and see if the sled will run, if it starts let it warm up and go into the closed loop mode on the ECU before you decide it's good to go. My guess would be that after the ECU goes into closed loop the sled will die. I don't think it will ruin your day if you run the old one, we ran one for two full days on a bad sensor that was throwing codes this year and it wasn't a problem but the sled didn't pull as hard, seemed to retard the timing. If you can't get one before your next ride I wouldn't worry about but I would try to get a new one as soon as possible.

D
Nov 26, 2007
hayden Idaho
Most aftermarket pipes have a place for the pipe sensor. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing that you can't just unplug the sensor. I guess you could unplug it and see if the sled will run, if it starts let it warm up and go into the closed loop mode on the ECU before you decide it's good to go. My guess would be that after the ECU goes into closed loop the sled will die. I don't think it will ruin your day if you run the old one, we ran one for two full days on a bad sensor that was throwing codes this year and it wasn't a problem but the sled didn't pull as hard, seemed to retard the timing. If you can't get one before your next ride I wouldn't worry about but I would try to get a new one as soon as possible.
thanks for the input..

Premium Features