• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DynoTech on the Poo 800-Some thoughts

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
800 Dyno results

I've been following the reports & comments on the DynoTech blog & HCS. Some folks put way too much weight on dyno reports but I thought that Jim did a nice job & gave an honest report. Even fessed up to a burn down during the process. It looks like the Polaris 8 makes the advertised HP even though it took some help from a Polaris tech & good fuel. With low Octane fuel the sled made 145 HP & the second day they got it to 153. Some of my observations:
1. Good fuel is key to making HP-DT discovered that they had some bad fuel even though it was supposed to be 93 octane. With Ethanol on the rise & questionable fuel it's going to be a struggle to maintain peak performance.
2. Pipe temp isn't mentioned but the P 800 fuel map requires a hot exhaust to reach peak HP. The first dyno (last year) by Extreme in CO was low on HP but they ran with a cold pipe. Later Extreme gained HP when they tested with a hot pipe.
3. DT ran slightly lower coolant temps the second day, still not clear on cooling & they leaned the fuel mix using power commander. Assume that the fuel map is still on the rich side at that elevation.
4. They are testing several A.Mkt pipes but remember that DT is near sea level so a high elevation pipe like the SLP may not shine.
5. Why test 87 octane?, an Ethanol test would have been more appropriate. Then there's oxygenated fuel mandates in some areas. How do you know what you bought at the pump?
6. Octane decreases about a point per 1000' rise in elevation according to a Chevron friend. It is rated at the source so fuel shipped from sea level may show 93 octane yet be the equivalent of fuel from a higher elevation rated at 91. Are we going to need our own octane tester? Carry an octane booster?
The fact that DT spent 2 days on the dyno gives some indication of the complexity of the process, leaving room for variation in results. And the sled is not in the snow in real world operating conditions. Ambient temp, air density & adjustment for elevation are some other "estimates" that make dyno comparo's subject to interpretation.
I can't believe the posts on HCS-some folks making a buying decision based on dyno numbers. Lest we forget, clutching, track, & HP at the track are kinda important.

Here is Jim's post from HCS.
Just got home after 12 hours at the dyno. Not done just yet. As you guys have heard while watching the dynocams we had issues with detonation. Casey and his Dad and brother are heading home tow hours to Jamestown. Casey's sled is still on the table.

This is a hugely powerful 800 twin. Joe DiSpirito just autopsied their first dragon 800, and after degreeing/ measuring ports concluded that if he were building a full race 800 twin this is the port timing/ size he would use. It's all done.

So here we are, with piss 87 octane gas, and this engine is pumping 110 lb/hr fuel flow. No sign of knock either on the Digital Wrench Polaris diagnostic software, or my dandy copper tube bolted to the thermostat housing! 110 lb/hr = .80 BSFC and 145 HP. I dont care how you do the math this is the best HP possible out of a 800 twin with 110 lb/hr fuel flow.

With 87 octane, we tried sLP and BMP pipe mods, both detonated and had timing yanked into the cellar, no HP. So our pal Don Heale (White Lake Polaris dealer) bought us a jug of Sunoco 93. Better, but still some knock that yanked timing excessively. It was so bad, we unplugged the deto sensor and depended on the rattling copper tube to keep us safe. We made 157 with the BMP pipe mod, 150 with SLP single, 157 w/ SLP w/ Exxtreme pipe mod, with a few rattles along the way. Then being greedy and dumb, looking for 160, I used the Power Commander to tweak fuel lower with the Stock pipe BMP mod, and in midrange I heard 12 deto clicks and stopped the test at 7800 but it was too late. Wafted piston, but cylinder OK. Next time I will stop the test at 6 clicks!

Back at it with fresh parts, we used the Power Commander to lean down fuel flow with stock pipe, got to 152-3 HP with a few clicks at maybe 85 lb/hr on even newer 93 octane., but now we have an 1/8th inch thick nylon spacer between the knock sensor and head.

We stopped there, some anonymous Polaris tech support will be here tomorrow so we can assess this situation. Thank you guys who have been bugging Polaris about this today. The engine is very excellent--we just have to figure out these details to get all those nasty active radicals to mellow out and let us have some fun.

And you guys owe a thank you to Casey- Team Bayport for blowing off another day of work (and another tomorrow) to help you guys maximize your enjoyment of this sled. He's probably just getting home now as I post this.

Post from DT Blog:
10/1 AM Casey Mulkin production 09 dragon 800, pipe mods, SLP single, etc my brain is shot after 12 hours of testing changing swapping stuff. This is a hugely powerful engine, but it has been detonating easily, and when it does the ECM seems to overcompensate. Casey's sled baselined at 145, leaned out with Power Commander to 152ish but on the edge of rattling the ECU to big retard. Polaris technical people are flying in tomorrow, cams off, I need to show them what is happening here, maybe changes are in store...
10/2 Casey day 2--another 12 hour session, this one much more enjoyable, excellent technical support provided by Darren Hedlund of Polaris Engineering, finally were able to increase HP knock-free by operating at slightly lower coolant temps (increased airflow and reduced active radicals), monitored pipe backpressure, with what appeared to be real 93 octane gas (we were surely boned yesterday by rattling fake 93 Sunoco)...we tuned fuel down to 153hp with Power Commander, then were able to add custom exhaust parts and further fuel tuning to over 162HP, limited there by the octane of the fuel. 50 plus dyno tests to review with Casey, will try to compile that information this weekend, including four single pipes and the actual PCIII numbers we used to optimize fuel flow for each combination.

Yes, there was much chatter on HCS about the numbers. It isn't just the numbers, but whether Polaris was pulling everyones chain with their "advertised HP". The thing you have to keep in mind is that a lot of flatlanders (primarily the group present on HCS) are sore over their experience with the 700s over the last couple years and are concerned that Polaris is "selling them a fairly tale" again with the 800. From the feedback here, most mountain riders seemed satisfied with the 700 - not so with flatlanders. It seems that only a small percentage of 700s actually performed "as expected" in the flatlands. That handful really ran and maybe had the 140HP claimed, most performed about on par with a good 600 and some were a POS with poor performance and lousy fuel economy. So, many were looking to Polaris to finally hit that "home run" the faithful have been waiting for - so far, the jury is still out, as the "stock" dyno number isn't all that impressive. No, we don't ride a dyno, but you can only go so far with clutching if the motor doesn't perform.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Yep, I saw them there a while back. Drool......:)

They've always treated me good but I know you're definitely not the only one with that opinion.

A
Dec 11, 2007
If their dyno is at a lower elevation why not test an AAEN pipe combo. Usually all of their stuff is for lower elevations.

My $.02

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Dyno numbers

Well..........This is an interesting thread.

These dyno numbers are like the political poles in the news papers.

I'll just say this, If any Joe Blow off the street went and bought a brand new dyno ( won't mention any brand names ) A dyno that was NOT set up to make its owner and customers feel good...............And a brand new Polaris 800........

What you would see would be far different then whats listed within these pages.

You would be lucky to see 130 H.P. ( MAX ) the first pull.

If you put a bone stock 2001 Arctic Cat 1000cc on this exact same dyno
after the 2009 800 Poo 154 h.p. pull, the T-Cat would make a solid 180 H.p.

These numbers should be on the comedy channel.

Quick comparrison - If you took brand new 1997 700 RMK motor out of the wedge chassis and put it into the new 2009 800 Dragon RMK ( NO TWEAKING ) and put them out on the mountain the old 1997 700 would run the skies off the new 800 motor.

The new motor is a joke, The super wide PTO bearing that everyone thinks is so great is a joke............. Do any of you know where it came from....................

It came from THE 2005/2006 900 Outter Mag side . ( some of these motor came stock with this bearing. )

The new 800 Poo Motor ( if the numbers are ever reached ) of the 2000 - 2005 800 Big Block, The New motor will suffer from as many or more problems then the old motor.

Why you ask............... Easy answer - Its poorly designed, It shows evidence of the 900 motor in places. ( you would think all of those people that screwed the pooch on the 755/900 would have been relieved of duty. ) But nope !!!!

You want to call me on this.............. No-problem.

Its in print. Print this thread and save it.

Don't be fooled by the amount of time this will take. The numbers of 800's on the snow are so low that this will take a while. Chances are it will NEVER be produced to the numbers of the old Big Block.

But............. The new 800 will fail more offen per sled then the old motor.

The old motor is a better design.

Print it and wait. You will see.

I was drawing pictures of a different 900 crank design before I ever heard of one breaking. The first time I saw a picture of one I knew it was doomed.

Mark my word.

I have already rebuilt more 2007 600 Small blocks then I have 1997 thru 2001 600 Big blocks.

I suppose this is going to upset a few dyno guys. That really doesn't matter to me...................Chances are you don't know how far off your dynos numbers are. ( the public needs to know ) Your numbers are out of control.

I have a 1997 700 RMK motor W/ 220 Cylinders on the shelf, And I would be willing to put up against the new off a dealer showroom floor 800 dragon. ( Both in the new chassis )

Only hitch is this...........Sense the 700 is 100cc's short I get to change the head design and the clutch set up.

Think back - I believe that the 1997 700 was said to have 120 h.p.

Should be a no brainer - The 700 doesn't have a chance...........120 hp against 154 hp WOW!!!!!!!!!

You have to say to yourself.........In the end, If this were to ever really happen.........Dan would look like a fool and certainly be proved wrong.

As I said...............I will take this challenge 1997 700 against the new 2009 800 Dragon ( Both in the exact same chassis ) I will only except this challenge from Polaris Industries ).

Don't let low production numbers fool you, The new motor is in no way better then the old 800 Big Block.

Last edited:
R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Wow Dan, don't know what you had for breakfast. I'd like to get your take on the Doo 800R, ha ha. Guess a year or two will tell on the new 8 durability but I will say that engine failures on 6 & 7's around here are rare & Carl's sells a lot of them. T6's & 7's as well as BB's are all doing well, personally know of a handfull of high mile sleds that run like a top. Poo has a 3 year on a lot of sleds so guess we will see how they stay together.
Your 700 challenge is not a good bet. Been there done that, still have an 04 7 that the wife rides & at 80 lbs less weight the new 8 wins big on the trail & in the deep it gets worse. There are also some good running 03-05 8's still around for comparison. The only older 8 that would run with my stock 08 D8 is a full trail mod sled with-heads, tunnel ported, pipe, carb bore & the sled went on a 63 lb diet. This is a mechanic's sled not a puffer-he pulled me a little on hard pack but couldn't run with me in the snow. I'm guessing the 2" 159 track vs my 2.5" 163 made the dif. Anyone with a slow 08 or 09 D8 better look at setup because they run good stock and do well with mods.
P.S. in 07 I rode a Doo 800R-it would not run with the stock Poo 7's stock for stock. Got the hole shot but the Poo's drove on by & had more top end. Took 2 months to get the Doo's working & even then it was a dead heat in the deep. Not just my Doo lots of them. When all the Doo cranks started popping I ran for cover. Then I see all these internet stories & wonder WTF?

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
but I will say that engine failures on 6 & 7's around here are rare & Carl's sells a lot of them. T6's & 7's as well as BB's are all doing well, personally know of a handfull of high mile sleds that run like a top. Poo has a 3 year on a lot of sleds so guess we will see how they stay together. Ron, Its early and these mods are done on brand new sleds. And there are very few of these in comparrison to the 800 Big block. Time will tell.

Your 700 challenge is not a good bet. Been there done that, still have an 04 7 that the wife rides & at 80 lbs less weight the new 8 wins big on the trail & in the deep it gets worse. Ron, I was comparing them IF they were in the same chassis.

There are also some good running 03-05 8's still around for comparison. The only older 8 that would run with my stock 08 D8 is a full trail mod sled with-heads, tunnel ported, pipe, carb bore & the sled went on a 63 lb diet. This is a mechanic's sled not a puffer-he pulled me a little on hard pack but couldn't run with me in the snow. Again...........I said in the same chassis.

I'm guessing the 2" 159 track vs my 2.5" 163 made the dif. Anyone with a slow 08 or 09 D8 better look at setup because they run good stock and do well with mods. The advances in track and chassis make the new motor look better then it is.

P.S. in 07 I rode a Doo 800R-it would not run with the stock Poo 7's stock for stock. Got the hole shot but the Poo's drove on by & had more top end. Took 2 months to get the Doo's working & even then it was a dead heat in the deep. Not just my Doo lots of them. When all the Doo cranks started popping I ran for cover. Then I see all these internet stories & wonder WTF?
Ron, I don't know a thing about the new Doo's. But as you know there will be hundreds of Doo guys that don't see the way you do.

I am really just pissing about the dyno number here. Don't you think its funny............That with almost the same port timing specs, one less cylinder, one less carb, and two less pipes...........The new 800 twins are claim to make more power then the 800 Triples of our resent past.

Polaris 800 XCR ----150hp
Mach Z 800 Triple - 150hp

Arctic cat ZRT 800 -150hp

And not to mention - The ability to spin 8500 rpm in stock form.

Then with lite modification over 9000 rpm and unbeatable by a normally aspirated twin. Period.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Carl's cycle

I believe Jack stays away from the dynos because he knows how twisted the info gets.

Dynos are great for comparrisons ( on equal ground ) But as far has h.p. numbers goes over the years from dyno to dyno they are absolutely worthless.

I once had a 800 Big Bore Ultra on a Super Flow Dyno, I had made 6 pulls with all different combinations all to gain about 7 hp.

Then we removed the stock reeds and installed V-Force reeds ( in the mean time ) the engine owner that was there watching and helping went to the bathroom. We made a quick pull when he was gone and made the same exact power as the stock reeds ( I told Dyno dave ) give the torque knob a quick turn and lets show what those V-Force reeds can do.

He returned..................We took a quick pull and picked up 11-hp.

He just about went thru the roof...............WOW!!!!!!!!! He said, THATS THE BEST $349.00 I EVER SPENT. Now a trained eye could Easily see the adjustment amde on the sheet...........But, 99.9 % of the people couldn't see it.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Lets hope that 2009 makes smiles on everyones faces that owns one!!

I agree that the dyno numbers are "neat" but real world is even better....

Ride em hard people !

Last edited:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
It's really too bad that dyno numbers can get twisted into anything that a person wants them to be. Anybody that has worked around a dyno, knows that they can be manipulated into whatever you want. I would never had believed this until I got to work around one and saw it with my own eyes.

Don't hate the player, hate the game...

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
Dyno's (Chassis type) are a good tool to have in the tool box. It shouldnt be your Bible however. With Dyno's (anybodies)I would wonder how many times they have ever been calibrated by either the manufacture or a certified independent calibration lab(If those even exist for dynos). I think they are a good tuning aid to see before and afters but those numbers may not corelate to the same thing on the snow as there are too many varibles. I dont think they should be used as a huge marketing tool unless the know what the "Average" gains are across many different tests at different elevations and temps/humid. I guess one could have a truck mounted unit like is used at Motorcycle events. If they claim numbers they should show the average and what dyno it was done on along with screen captures as well. Too many so called Dyno' reports with no evidence. Show the last calibration date. At least once a year in the Cal. lab..no calibrating it yourself either.

Indy Dan made some darn good points on "triples" note about the time Polaris quit the triple I think was approx. the time when Yamaha started using it. I saw first hand what my buddy could do with his Mountain SRX and his Viper 700's against my SkiDoo 8's. It was pretty amazing to see what one could get out of a triple...then again I saw how much of an increase on parts he had with the triple..Pipes, Head, plugs domes etc...alaws a bigger price tag.

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
Well..........This is an interesting thread.

These dyno numbers are like the political poles from all the left wing news papers.

I'll just say this, If any Joe Blow off the street went and bought a brand new dyno ( won't mention any brand names ) A dyno that was NOT set up to make its owner and customers feel good...............And a brand new Polaris 800........

What you would see would be far different then whats listed within these pages.

You would be lucky to see 130 H.P. ( MAX ) the first pull.

If you put a bone stock 2001 Arctic Cat 1000cc on this exact same dyno
after the 2009 800 Poo 154 h.p. pull, the T-Cat would make a solid 180 H.p.

These numbers should be on the comedy channel.

Quick comparrison - If you took brand new 1997 700 RMK motor out of the wedge chassis and put it into the new 2009 800 Dragon RMK ( NO TWEAKING ) and put them out on the mountain the old 1997 700 would run the skies off the new 800 motor.

The new motor is a joke, The super wide PTO bearing that everyone thinks is so great is a joke............. Do any of you know where it came from....................

It came from THE 2005/2006 900 Outter Mag side . ( some of these motor came stock with this bearing. )

The new 800 Poo Motor ( if the numbers are ever reached ) of the 2000 - 2005 800 Big Block, The New motor will suffer from as many or more problems then the old motor.

Why you ask............... Easy answer - Its poorly designed, It shows evidence of the 900 motor in places. ( you would think all of those people that screwed the pooch on the 755/900 would have been relieved of duty. ) But nope !!!!

You want to call me on this.............. No-problem.

Its in print. Print this thread and save it.

Don't be fooled by the amount of time this will take. The numbers of 800's on the snow are so low that this will take a while. Chances are it will NEVER be produced to the numbers of the old Big Block.

But............. The new 800 will fail more offen per sled then the old motor.

The old motor is a better design.

Print it and wait. You will see.

I was drawing pictures of a different 900 crank design before I ever heard of one breaking. The first time I saw a picture of one I knew it was doomed.

Mark my word.

I have already rebuilt more 2007 600 Small blocks then I have 1997 thru 2001 600 Big blocks.

I suppose this is going to upset a few dyno guys. That really doesn't matter to me...................Chances are you don't know how far off your dynos numbers are. ( the public needs to know ) Your numbers are out of control.

I have a 1997 700 RMK motor W/ 220 Cylinders on the shelf, And I would be willing to put up against the new off a dealer showroom floor 800 dragon. ( Both in the new chassis )

Only hitch is this...........Sense the 700 is 100cc's short I get to change the head design and the clutch set up.

Think back - I believe that the 1997 700 was said to have 120 h.p.

Should be a no brainer - The 700 doesn't have a chance...........120 hp against 154 hp WOW!!!!!!!!!

You have to say to yourself.........In the end, If this were to ever really happen.........Dan would look like a fool and certainly be proved wrong.

As I said...............I will take this challenge 1997 700 against the new 2009 800 Dragon ( Both in the exact same chassis ) I will only except this challenge from Polaris Industries ).

Don't let low production numbers fool you, The new motor is in no way better then the old 800 Big Block.

the sky is falling -- the sky is falling!!!!!!!!

sorry, couldn't help myself on that one:D:D

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
for me dyno's are a tuning tool..but I will comment on the tripple vrs twin..over time..racers find hp..it is the way it is..it is why sleds are so kick *** now compared to 10 yrs ago...they all still use all the same basic components..but everything has been tweeked a bit here or there as racers find an advantage..that trickles down to us thru the manufacturer....as an example..small block chevy's in nascar style racing only 5-6 yrs ago were" maxxed out" at about 650 hp, everyone said there is no way to get more then 2 hp per cubic inch normally aspirated..yet today out of the same cubic inch they are pulling over 840 hp...minor tweeks add up...its just progress..

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Regardless, it's great to see indydan back around these parts. When he takes the time to reply to a thread, it's usually worth reading twice. Except maybe his last post. :face-icon-small-ton

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Old verse New

I hope not to offend any new 8oo dragon owners.

There great sleds, and its a cool motor ( the production numbers are low right now ) and chances are you all have pretty well built motors.

But as numbers increase _ And Polaris does what they do best ( screw their venders ) once they start putting the squeeze on them to make more for less the tollerances will go out the window and the weaknesses will surface.

Note - Crankshaft length there is NO substitute for crankshaft length. you can't make more horse power with a shorter crank. ( the Mono-Block ) is the only thing that saved it.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Dan,

A sincere question here...

How is it that Carls is getting such great results from using seperate CrankShop cylinders in thier 800 small block "860 Big Bore" kits.... those things RIP!!

Last edited:
S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
OMG this thread is getting stupid. All right you heard it folks tear out those new Dragon motors and I will trade you FREE of charge for a brand new rebuilt 97 700.

Yep that's right and if are crazy enough to bite I will throw in the moon wile I am at it if you buy withing the next 10 min.

(Talking real fast)

Warning this may cause you to loose power, get real pissed, lowest highmark, buddies that laugh there *** off at you, loss of money on mods to try and keep up with a 800 Dragon,

Individual results may very.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD

I have a empty chasis you can drop that motor in Dan...... :D

Premium Features