• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

drive belt removal

C

chaddo

Dec 20, 2007
i just made switch from doo to cat and wanted to know if there is a tool for getting belt off m8. or else how to do. doo has a great little tool.

S
Dec 1, 2007
Norther Utah (Utard)
I push the sheaves apart and force the belt down, lock the brake to do this, then push in the helix and force the belt in further then work it around - release the brake and roll the secondary till its off.

Or I've heard you can take off the plastic three hole thing and remove the shims then re install that opens up the secondary, a bit of work though

spomey

DTR

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2008
ND
www.DTRND.com
If you can position yourself right, and have the hand strength, you can muscle the sheave open. Otherwise, take the secondary bolt out, turn the aluminum plug around and put on the bolt backwards, tighten the bolt in. This will spread the sheaves out and you can get a belt on/off. Remember this trick so if you blow a belt, and don't lock up the track and skid to a stop, you will need to do this to unwind all the belt cords from the secondary!

DTR

S
Nov 27, 2008
i just made switch from doo to cat and wanted to know if there is a tool for getting belt off m8. or else how to do. doo has a great little tool.

Take out the aluminum insert out of the end of the sec., turn it end for end and put the bolt back in and tighten it, it will force the sheaves apart for you....

C

chaddo

Dec 20, 2007
hey guys thanks, i new that there must be a easier way then actual hand strength . do and polaris have the nice easy tools . cat needs this to . big help cause we all blow belts

DTR

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2008
ND
www.DTRND.com
1 little tip I have learned throughout the years, if possible, as soon as you know the belt is exploding, lock up the brake and don't let up until completely stopped, and kill the engine. This will stop both clutches from spinning and sucking the cords into everything. If you can do this, the "clean-up" time of removing all debris will be cut by about 80%. If you don't do this, plan on spending around 45 mins with a needle nose pliers and a knife, and a lot of frustration, to get everything out.

DTR

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
Don't know if this works on the newest verions but on my '05 M bought a BDX deflection adjuster and tool. Use allen wrench to take out the secondary bolt, lock brake, quarter turn with the adjustment tool opens the sheaves, take the secondary off and take the belt out of the secondary. If you're an old, weak fart like I am this really works well.

Premium Features