• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Does HP win hill climbing or is it throttle responce and handling?

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I think the last few years of Jackson Hole have answered this. Don't you?

They start in loose deeper snow and finish in hard pack. Everyone can dial in their clutches and suspension to be the best it can be. Rider ability (OK maybe we should throw out the Curtis part of the equation lol) should be fairly equal as they are all experienced riders. Rider support should be pretty close in each relative class and level.
Yet less HP shows up pretty well where HP should be most noticeable. On the wide open hill where max throttle use is the main goal to get up the quickest, higher HP should show it's most advantage.
The Pro has overachieved in stock and close to stock classes at Jackson (about the only one I pay attention to because of the press) since it's introduction. I think that says something about what it takes to actually "be at the top".

Just about everyone says the Pro is the best chassis for technical stuff (handling part). Even other brand riders admit this (sometimes lol) but then comes the " but I couldn't live with that gutless engine so I went with brand x for the power". Always makes me scratch my head when I read that and makes me wonder if I got a special one lol.

Lots of us don't feel a lack of power in the Pro. Quite the opposite for many. Are we just more "savvy" riders?

I
Nov 26, 2007
I think at Jackson especially ability and timing has more to do with it. Often the 600cc sleds post a faster time simply because the track is less beat when they run.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
My point (600 example and timing).

Don't buy into the "Polaris has the best riders all the time" thing.

Agree timing and acceleration is it and say that the Pros' handling and response
helps the rider more than any other sled to achieve this timing and acceleration.

Combine that with getting up on the snow (another Pro advantage)and isn't that what sleddin' in the mountains is all about.

Hurricane Tim

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2009
The only place a Pro is underpowered is on paper. It's about how much HP you actually put to the track that matters, and the Pro does that quite efficiently.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
Is this it?

picture.php

Premium Features