• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Differance between finger and paddle tracks

lookma/nohands

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2008
Sidney, Mt
Thanks for all the input on how to make my 02 mc better in the deep. Have gathered up all the parts except track to go from 144-151. What I was wondering is how you out there feel about finger tracks vs paddle tracks. This how most of my riding breaks down:

5% hill climb
45% pow and boon docking
50% hardpack and trail to get there

I have done some reading on the two and it seems there is a real concensus that the finger tracks are not the way to go for powder riding, as you can see powder is what I ride least in but it is also where the track and or the sled seems to let us down the most.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I had the same dilemma.

I went to a 151" finger track for several years and they hook up hard on the hard pack and in spring snow. In the powder they work ok but, there are certainly better tracks.

Yamaha had a great idea with the Maverick with a combination of fingers and paddles but, they made them out of rubber that was too soft. For 2010 they made the tracks out of a harder durometer and perhaps this track will see the kind of potential it should have seen initially. You'll see these track for sale very inexpensively, there's a reason they are so cheap. If you buy one, turn it around and it will work for you fairly well until the paddles bend over in the opposite direction.

I used a 16" wide Skidoo "Powertrench" track too. It had very stiff paddles that had sides on them. It hooked up great on the hardpack but, trenched like a bugger in the powder.

The best track I have used for all around conditions is the Powerclaw. I have a 153" and it works just about as well on the trail as it does in the powder. I would highly recommend this track for your situation.

Good luck

Premium Features