• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diamond Drive leaking, Now What?

Hotchief

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2005
Normandy Park, WA
Your sled should be under warranty.
I would take it to the dealer & have them bill AC.
The 09 already comes with the updated gasket kit so you should not be having any issues unless the factory didn't torque correctly or you've pulled it apart for some reason.
How many miles?

M
Dec 11, 2007
your driven clutch bolt has a grove, which is your drive vent!!. You always see some oil behind your driven. You should change drive oil every 550miles.

I have regeared so I have actually had the dd apart. The oil is around the seal, could that be from over filling? I had a 12 0z. bottle but it didn't bring the level up to the fill plug so I put another couple ounces in there. I didn't think about this until after I had posted the thread or I would have mentioned it. (the over filling) Can you pick up these seals at a bearing store, or do I have to go to my stealership?

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
BDx has a seal kit. I just replaced a seal and a bearing for the first time. I had to use a press for both. I also used BDx's tool kit. They just don't slide out!!

I wonder if the 2009 Gasket will work on a BDx lite drive? I hate having to use sealer.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
your driven clutch bolt has a grove, which is your drive vent!!. You always see some oil behind your driven. You should change drive oil every 550miles.

Haven't had the 2ndary off of my '08 yet, but the '05 always weeps a little oil around the seal. This normal, as it's where the DD vents. Unless it's leaking bad enough to leave some oil in the belly pan or on the ground, it's normal. After about a 500mi season, the M7 had oil covering the bottom 1/2 of the DD cover, but never enough to drip off of it.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
normal no no

Well...............in my opinion bone dry is normal. All of my DD drives leak or leaked and after attention I eventually made them dry.

Some the cases leak because of case flex....... and they have a gasket kit and spacer for that........though my kit never did come in at the dealership......lost interest and fixed the case with bigger case bolts and some way over the top case sealant.

The seals leak because.........?, I replaced mine and vented the case with a breather tube and the seal dried up.......took two seals on my M8 though.

Sometimes they force oil up around reverse shaft and cleaning and new seal helps.........although again case vent solved that on m7 07.

Any...ANY case leaking however slight will put oil on your clutch's and spoil a good sled, at 50mph the wind in that clutch area is a lot and will pick any oil. When I finally got my three DD cases dry, cleaning my clutch's was no longer a daily mandatory chore.

Premium Features