• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dealers backing away from taking 800's!

M

MN 660

Nov 27, 2007
MN
The past several weeks dealers in southern MN and northern IA are limiting the number of 08-10 800's they will take in trade due to the 800 engine problems!. Is this a directive from the factory or are the dealers making their owe decision? I see record profits for 2010 from Polaris Industries and a record 19% bonus to plant workers and then a 175% record bonus to Scott Wine CEO plus salary increase for the CEO from $650,000 to $800,000. It seems that Polaris is in excellent shape and now their dealer network is backing away from taken 08-01 800's in trade!! I as a 40 year Polaris rider need to ponder if I want to support this! Your thoughts!

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
It's all in what the dealers consider to be smart business... if they get flooded with a bunch of used sleds with a bad rep, it's going to be very hard to sell them in a timely fashion and for a profit... They'll either wind up offering ridiculously low trade in values, or flat out refuse them for trade as the risk of loosing money on them, also loosing floor space for selling more profitable units becomes a big factor.

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
So does this mean those dealers are admitting those years of 800's are lemons and they are not worth the risk? Seems to me with a strong used market (due to the higjh cost of new) that there would be a margin of profit if dealers took a good used sled in on trade...Good....oh wait nevermind

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I love mine, I guess people just love to bitch about them and can't figure out that if you lose a top end that if you put a new top end on it it will not fix it. common sense that so many lack

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I think a smart dealer...would take them all in, tear them down and do the fix on them to make sure they are in top notch condition, then advertise the fact with a 1 yr engine warranty in house...they would get top dollar for the dragons, sell a bunch of pro's and help fix a problem that they are partially responsible for...but thats just me...and I doubt a dealer would do it...

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
This thread is ridiculous.
The dealer isn't obligated to taking in a trade. Nobody wants a dragon, nobody wants an edge chassis, just like for AC, nobody wants a king cat or an M-chassis. We want the newest pro or proclimb.
Throw your dragon on craigslist or sell it here, if you price it right it will be gone in a week.:wave:

I find it funny that my buddy has a 2010 M8 162 snopro that he thinks will will sell for $9k, then turn around and buy a 300 mile pro 163 for $9500. Reality is he might get $7k for his, and he might pay $10k for the 300 mile pro.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
3 year old any sled is worth 4 or 5000.so if i was a dealer i might go 2000 trade in so i could make money.yes it sucks

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
If you are a dealer you don't want to deal with pushing used sleds. Especially something that has a bad name on key places like this 4M. You want to sell new sleds (even though they don't make big money), deal with warranty claims (money from Polaris) and most importantly, make money off of mods and accessories. If a D8 is only selling for around $5000-$6500 here from a private seller, a dealer is going to have to aquire it for around $3000-$5000 so they can clean it up and sell it.

If you want a good sled and put some effort into it...a D8 can be an awesome sled. Especially if it still under warranty. A PCV, maybe piston help (i.e. the fix) and some mods make this a great sled. You will have to moniter your sled to make sure it is behaving, but all sleds require a little babying. I would personally throw some EGT's to monitor those temps as well.

Premium Features