• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DD??? a bad seal or a bad bearing when....

A
Jan 16, 2008
you take the bolt out of the secondary and there is a good amount of oil sitting in there, beyond what it would lose through the vent.

I can also grab the gear spline and move it in and about about 1/16th. With the Secondary on the spline there is a little bit of movement.

My guess is the bearings are goin bad, anyone else see this before and can maybe confirm.

T
Is this a reverse model or a M7???? You are right if you have movement you may have a bearing going:( pull the diamond out and pull it apart and check the planatary. If you have a bearing going all the junk goes right down to the planatary. let us know what you find. also if this is a m-7 I have been running 1-1/2 the recommended oil cap. 4-1/2 ounces and have not had any oil seepage out the breather bolt...Garry

A
Jan 16, 2008
07 m8

yea this is on a reverse model. sounds like a bad seal/bad bearing combo, which makes sense.
i was afraid of it being the bearing. i'll post what i find, maybe pull it out tonight. tryin to squeeze one more ride in. i have the bearing and seal press tools. do you need a hydraulic press to get the seals and bearings in and out?

Last edited:
T
No you shouldn't although a arbor press is nice. When you split the cases you will be able to see the inner (smaller) bearing and spin and move the bigger bearing that is next to the clutch. I am not sure after thinking on this if it is your bearing but would pull it apart to make sure. I have heard of oil getting into the clutch bolt area if the sled has been on its side for a while but if the seal is bad it will be leaking out around the clutch. Pull the DD, pull it down, check the bearings and change the oil and you will be ahead of the game for next year and you DD will be sitting with fresh clean oil all summer and it will thank you for it in the long run. if you need torgue value let me know...Garry

Premium Features