• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

crooked tunnel

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
so im trying to assemble this crooked new sled.
un aware of it being crooked im on my third design for drop brackets,
looked a little closer and its over 1/4 in off on the sidewall bends. as in the right running board is 1/4" higher than the left
so knowing there is no returning this for the second time i guess i will just have a dogleging sled.

so im pretty sure if i get everything in line with the driveshaft it will operate correctly? maby?
and the drive should be correct being it mounts to fresh stock new locations. the steering hoop is right as well and this is where im measureing from
took my small square and made a line beside the bolts, found center between them. measured back 9, 18, and 27 inches top and bottom and drew lines for reference points. squared a line from the first nine back to the center mark, then used a straight edge to trace that new line and continue it on to the rear past where the drop bracket will sit
both sides
now, i am terrible with tapes and rulers but it was looking pretty much correct or at least progressive. i have three of the four locations but the fourth is ay out againlooks way off but is that 1/4 from the tunnel just playin tricks with my eyes?

is there a better way? theres got to be?

originally i started with a template that rested on the bottom side of the top but with that bad break it really didnt work

any pointers accepted my brand new tunnel is looking like swiss cheese

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
When we built our IQR's we squared everything off of the bulk head because the factory Polaris tunnel had deviations around .25" as we'll. I couldn't believe it.

Your method sounds like it will work. On mine we got the front mounts where we wanted them using tape measures since it wasn't very far from te bulk head. After we had the front mounts located I took a piece of 1" wide metal with holes drilled in the proper distance for the rear mounting points. Bolted the template into the front mount and the second one to the drop bracket then swing the drop bracket in into place. If you have access to a piece of scrap metal I would recommend this because it takes at least one variable away so you can focus solely on height.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
if you have a good reference point to start with ( a factory bolt hole or rivet hole ) and make your measurements from the top down inside the tunnel and X all the top side measurements to make sure its square you should be OK

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ive done both of these suggestions but it looks real goofy? im real bad with a tape so i keep second guessing myself. i think i need another set of eyeballs to make sure i see what i see.

this third set of brackets i built to follow the taper. there is a corner that aligns with the break of the footwell. its perfect on one side but the other corner is 3/8 outside the tunnel!
well i guess ill just keep at it and cut another set of holes haha sucks

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
some good advise... dont polish the inside of your tunnel before you have to do this! the straight edges and squares slip slide all over the place and the sharpie slides right along without making a mark!
NO FUN
always find a helping hand too that would help, or just buy a straight tunnel that would help even more!

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Just some more advise,
Go ahead and put in your suspension without the track and drivers before its all locked down.
Just to make sure all the holes line up. Because this one isn't even close

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
I just cheated my right front arm mount down 3/16 to get the track away from the cooler on that side. Well now obviously the rail tip is rubbing the track on that side and the other side sits just right with a 1/4 gap.
The whole thing seems to be sitting a bit low
Should I
trust my previous measurements, move the mount back to it, than drop and inch since I piloted that? Giving ample clearance and makeing true to the shaft

Or

Just leave it 3/16 goofy??

Kind of a rhetorical question but out looks goofy no matter how I slice it

Last edited:
X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Id throw the whole tunnel in the garbage and start over. 1/4 off is unacceptable to me. You obviously didn't get what you paid for... Dispute the charges on your card.

Premium Features