• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Coquihalla

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
I went out today, and it wasn't that bad towards Thyne, but it's still early to be playing too much in Peanut and Spearing.

I didn't hit anything all day.

The worst part was the trail up, it's a sheet of ice.

The parking lot is not car friendly right now, it's really bumpy with the random ice trenches from people driving in slush just before it froze.

Jon

Edit : the parking lot has been graded! And the trail up to Henning is officially closed right now due to the Ice. It's that bad.

Last edited:
R
Nov 30, 2013
I rode 10k on Sunday, it was ok as far as rocks or stumps, although there was the odd thing sticking out. Only 4" to a foot on top of the base.

Wasn't the best ride or the worst, but much better that not riding at all. I'd go again if I knew it was the same conditions.

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
The main access trail up to Henning is officially closed due to the very heavy ice that is making the road up nearly impassible, even for the groomer which almost went over the bank.

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
And the Coquihalla snowmobile club now has their own functioning webcam pointed towards Henning Mtn, from the collection hut in the parking lot.

The webcam can be seen here:

http://www.coqsnow.com/html/resources/camera.jpg
camera.jpg

S

sledgreg

Aug 27, 2008
Chilliwack
www.sleddicted.com
6 of us hit the coq today, headed to 10 k and to the saddle... Conditions were good enough to have a good time, nothing to write home about. Better then spending a Sunday inside the house. Decent first ride of the season

R
Nov 30, 2013
I lost my avy beacon somewhere today between back beyond 10k and the parking lot. BCA tracker 1. Fell out of the holster even though it was and still is latched. Please call me. James 7785523653.

S

sledgreg

Aug 27, 2008
Chilliwack
www.sleddicted.com
5 of us hit 10k yesterday. Quite a few people at the 10km cabin. Not sure why the road in is in such bad condition. pretty much all whoops.

dropped in past the cabin but headed back out pretty quick as the snow was breaking and sluffing off everywhere. Potentially very dangerous conditions.

Ended up speaking with 4 guys that were partially buried from a break heading towards the saddle. We ended up just playing in the trees and it was awesome. pretty good conditions despite the crappy start to the season we have had.

There was what looked to be a new orange and white arctic cat parked at the cabin. the front was all smashed in. rumour on the hill was the rider broke his back on Saturday and had to be assisted out. (leaving the sled at the cabin) hopefully he is ok.

James I never saw your beacon.

R
Nov 30, 2013
Thanks Greg. I was up there again Monday, I might have even met you up there. I picked up another beacon Sunday night. Before heading up the mountain I has thought of plugging the earphones in and putting the new beacon on search but due to the conditions I left it on send all day. I'm likely going up again Wednesday, i may try finding it. I do have anther beacon but the LCD display is broken. I'm going to see if I can put one on search and mute the other one from being picked up by the other.

As to the guy that crashed, we've been in contact with him. He hunted us down on Facebook to say thanks and what not.
It is confirmed that he broke his arm but only sprained his back, right in an area that had a fractured but healed vertebrae that he never even knew he broke, it was shown on the x-rays.

Me may be assisting his brother getting the sled back down to the parking lot tomorrow as well, pending we're all able to make it.

Premium Features