• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Connecting rod bearing failure on M1000?

T

torqmonster

Dec 2, 2007
Fairview, Alberta
I took out the mag side connecting rod bearing on my 07 m1000. It had approx. 2500 miles. My plugs were a little on the lean side but still safe, good piston wash, 32-1 oil ratio, but I noticed when I split the lower cases it was dry. I thought the lower cases should have some residual oil/fuel?

smoothdawg

Premium Member
Apr 7, 2008
Spokane, WA.
Which end of the connecting rod? Crank or piston. I had scuff marks on the crank end of both connecting rod bearings after siezing the mag side piston on an 07 m1000. Check all 4 of your crank bearings, if they make any noise or are rough they are bad. Are you running an oil injection delete kit? A buddies waterpump/oil pump driveshaft siezed in the steel bushing inside the case half. It stripped the brass gear all of the way around and bent the shaft almost a half inch upward. All 4 of the crank bearings are bad. It was the BDX oil injection delete kit on an 08 M1000 mixing 40:1. Took it apart fri night.

smoothdawg

Premium Member
Apr 7, 2008
Spokane, WA.
Did you squeak a piston in the past and then just do a top end? Perhaps some of the aluminum took the bearing out over time if that was the case. I have had two of these 1000's apart but have not seen that before. Something had to let loose in there to cause that bearing to go out in my opinion. How do the gears look on the crank and driveshaft? How do you like your Koso a/f gauge?

T

torqmonster

Dec 2, 2007
Fairview, Alberta
Never did a top end rebuild, so aluminum parts theory is out. The crank looked great, along with the main bearings. The koso A/F worked great for the first month then it showed an error code. I'm sending it back for testing.

smoothdawg

Premium Member
Apr 7, 2008
Spokane, WA.
I thought for sure that's what happened. I am stumped. I'm sorry I don't have another explanation. It's getting plenty of oil as per your earlier post, so maybe a bad bearing.

M
Feb 4, 2009
delta, Colorado
I had the same prop twice! one time the mag side and the other time was the pto side never did find a reason. How do you like your twin pipe set up thinking about a set on myn right now but i havent really heard anything on the twins?

T

torqmonster

Dec 2, 2007
Fairview, Alberta
I was thinking that the lack of oil in the bottom of the cases could have caused bearing failure by running a little on the lean side. Should there be an inch or so of oil in the bottom of the cases? The twins do make power when you dial them in. The challenge is to get consistant performance out of them.

1m62

Dec 5, 2007
British Columbia
Con Rod 2 weeks ago

Here is a pic of the PTO conrod, case and piston off of
my 2008 M1000. At the time I was waiting for a new oil pump
because the current one was stuck open.
Costed me a Heli Ride off the mountain.

M1000 PTO Side.JPG

smoothdawg

Premium Member
Apr 7, 2008
Spokane, WA.
I think I would be calling some experts like Vohk, Kelsey-RKT, Racinstation, or even MM sports before I put that back together. Let us know what you find out.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
When you say 32:1 oil ratio is this a oil delete kit or did you measure your oil usage?
I want to do a delete kit but I'm not confident that the bottom end will get adequit lubrication.

Premium Features