• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Computer help, Raid 0

W
Jan 2, 2008
My laptop I bought maybe 5 years ago from Alienware has finally went titsup

It won't start up

press pf2 and it says unavailable array CHIT!!

SO I try to rebuild the array and got it to say available, but I think one HDD is burnt because it says STRIPE 1+ 0 instead of STRIPE 2+ 0 like it did before.

At first the STRIPE 2+ 0 line was flashing on startup, so I deleted that array and created a new one.

recovering data from a 2 HDD RAID 0 setup is beyond me,

data recovery places want lots of $$$$$

when I bought the computer the Alienware rep told me the RAID 0 setup was for high speed gaming and that the 2nd HDD was for "redundant backup" which is a friggn LIE

just hoping some of you good folks are computer savvvy and can help

R

Rattlin_Ram

Dec 1, 2007
Flatlands
Raid 0 would be for high speed.... but not for redundancy... that would be Raid1 or Raid 0+1... Or basically any other version of Raid other than 0...

So the array controller I assume doesn't see two drives anymore?

W
Jan 2, 2008
from my limited knowledge,

it would appear that the array controller is not working, only shows one drive

would it be possible that one of the HDD's is dead?

I'm at work, the computer is home..so going from memory which was stressed at the time.

Last edited:
R

Rattlin_Ram

Dec 1, 2007
Flatlands
If it where mine I'd re-seat the drives first (take them out then put them back in) and go from there...

If it see's one drive and not the other it's the drive or connection, most likely not the array controller.

W
Jan 2, 2008
did that last night, pulled them out and checked the ribbon and pins

all are seated well, no cracks or rub spots in the ribbon I could detect

In hind sight, I've been getting an occasional "bad sectors" repair on startup. shoulda been a giant hint to back everything up eh?

Premium Features