• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching for milder riders

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Does anyone know of anyone who sets up clutches for milder riders? My wife Rarely uses WOT, does most of her riding in the midrange RPM's. She likes to get out and carve up the powder and do some tree riding but nothing real steep. I'd like to optimize her new sled to get the most out of it for her in the RPM range she rides in. Advice?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Does anyone know of anyone who sets up clutches for milder riders? My wife Rarely uses WOT, does most of her riding in the midrange RPM's. She likes to get out and carve up the powder and do some tree riding but nothing real steep. I'd like to optimize her new sled to get the most out of it for her in the RPM range she rides in. Advice?
Stock sounds like the best bang for your buck…..

TRS clutching is definitely revvy (maybe a little slippage in low mid if things aren’t warmed up) and optimized for WFO.

Skidoo clutching is very much midrange optimized. (And slips on top) just a thought.

C
Dec 14, 2020
Just leave it stock and keep them clean. If there's throttle to spare, it's not like you're going to improve anything.

Just think, something you don't need to spend money on!

Only reason to get worried about clutching is to get more performance. If you aren't getting belt slip, there's nothing to improve with a rider that's not wide open often.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
A step softer primary spring (both numbers) will give better belt clamp in the low mid.

Also better fuel economy/ lower engagement.

$40 or so.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
A primary spring with a 100-120lb first number on the spring. it Won’t be so herky jerky when she starts moving. She will love you for it. I’ll send you the money if it doesn’t work. I know the spring part num but I gotta look and I’m lazy. Stand by for a couple days but I need to know year make model of sled and the area where u ride

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Stock sounds like the best bang for your buck…..

TRS clutching is definitely revvy (maybe a little slippage in low mid if things aren’t warmed up) and optimized for WFO.

Skidoo clutching is very much midrange optimized. (And slips on top) just a thought.

Are you sure you’re not referring to carls clutching? TRS is Revy in low mid with belt slip?

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
7043121 (100/340) Polaris primary spring For the 2018 pro rmk 800. It’ll be nice and smooth on the bottom for starting from a stop. Kinda like an electric sled. It should also hold rpm at 8-10,000ft.
As for the Matrix, the specs aren’t out yet so I cannot advise. Good luck with your mission.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Are you sure you’re not referring to carls clutching? TRS is Revy in low mid with belt slip?
LOL I think you are the one mixed up

Edit… never had belt slip with TRS, coolest clutching I’ve run. Revvy low and mid on the trail.

Last edited:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Are you high again?

I am going to have to try to get as high as you to see this belt slip issue. And become a trail rider that rides low-mid. But I’ll bet money you didn’t shim your spider.

Twenty or so install and tests and at least 1/2 that many CC setups in the past 5 years scream opposite. Pick your belt.

I don’t clutch for trails.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I am going to have to try to get as high as you to see this belt slip issue. And become a trail rider that rides low-mid. But I’ll bet money you didn’t shim your spider.

Twenty or so install and tests and at least 1/2 that many CC setups in the past 5 years scream opposite. Pick your belt.

I don’t clutch for trails.
My recommendation was for a guy who’s wife is running trails and mild riding.

Trs clutching rewards aggressive throttle inputs and runs cool wide open.

(Doesn’t sound like the OP’s desired riding description)

The lightning weights grip the best at wide open and compromise grip in the low - mid when compared to a heel heavy weight. (Heel heavy weights compromise wide open grip so they are not good for wfo belt life)

Again…….
(Not what the op was looking for)

Merely pointing out that fact so the OP didn’t put his wife on clutching that runs 1000 ish rpm higher at the cruising speeds she likes seems relevant…….

In short.
Get off your high horse.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
This thread is proof that we are in the largest tool shed for snowmobiling. You guys have idiots convinced that clutching matters for wives. I'm pretty sure the Op rides like a wife so why doesn't he just run the clutching that he has for his wife ? I'm pretty sure this post is going to secure my Polaris Ambassadorship I have been striving for for the last 4 years...
If you ask the clutching forum expert they are already clutched so horrible your toddler can ride your 9R or Boost. Why spend money to make it worse? Lol

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
This thread is proof that we are in the largest tool shed for snowmobiling. You guys have idiots convinced that clutching matters for wives. I'm pretty sure the Op rides like a wife so why doesn't he just run the clutching that he has for his wife ? I'm pretty sure this post is going to secure my Polaris Ambassadorship I have been striving for for the last 4 years...
If you ask the clutching forum expert they are already clutched so horrible your toddler can ride your 9R or Boost. Why spend money to make it worse? Lol
Ah Chadly you just continue to embarass yourself. I appreciate the guys who had real recommendations for my wife to try. Thanks guys!
ps - I have a 120/340 primary spring from SLP coming my way. We'll give that a shot. She's plenty happy with her current setup, just wanna play around a bit and see if there is something she likes better.

Premium Features