• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch balancing

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Where do I look for a clutch balancing machine? Are the mowerblade types any good?

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Where do I look for a clutch balancing machine? Are the mowerblade types any good?

Seriously??
I wouldn't even kid about something like that. If you don't have the proper equipment, send it to someone who does.

if you don't get the balance right, you WILL destroy either your engine or your mainshaft and everything attached to it.

Spend the money and get it done right.
Some things you DON"T want to skimp on.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Was always told that no question was a dumb one . So u smartaz's have your laugh. I'm looking at the machine necessary to do it in shop as a customer service if it's potentially profitable or just to seperate our shop from the windsheild and ski installers. Googled and found several of the blade ones that say are for centrifical clutch's. Realizied they are probably not what I wanted so thought I might ask the experts slash smartaz's, I know they can't be cheap but just what are the costs to consider. FYI Iv'e sent many away just looking for the next edge in performance in case we meet you on the mountain

Last edited:
O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
ok, the way you posed the question gave the impression that you wanted a home remedy to save a couple bucks.
That is why you got the answers you got.

If you want to know about clutch balancing machines and which ones work good, might I suggest you simply ask the following.

What is a good clutch balancing machine.
Looking to expand my services and am looking at adding clutch balancing to my offered services.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
I stand corrected and am sorry for the confussion I created. As far as what I'm looking for is what you said. I sincerely hope to be more literate in the future and please forgive any spelling miscues now and in the future.MH pmed me and I am now on that mission but would accept anyones input.
I also realize that I'm talking thousands not hundreds

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
I stand corrected and am sorry for the confussion I created. As far as what I'm looking for is what you said. I sincerely hope to be more literate in the future and please forgive any spelling miscues now and in the future.MH pmed me and I am now on that mission but would accept anyones input.
I also realize that I'm talking thousands not hundreds

Ask an expert-call Joe at Joe's Motor Machine Shop; 208-343-1949.

IMO, if you use a spin balancer you have a two step process that requires: (1) taking the helix and spider off the clutch to balance the inner sheave. (2) Then you assemble and balance again. I would balance the weights and then complete step two with weights and springs installed.
The best is to use the more expensive dual plane balancer-you can balance with the clutch assembled since it isolates the front and rear of the clutch.
The properly balanced clutch is balanced rotationally and also end to end. I think the technical terms are static and dynamic balance.

Last edited:
Premium Features