• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cleaning Clutches

D

doornenbal

Dec 3, 2007
What is the best stuff to use when cleaning clutches and belts is it regular soap and water???? Brake cleaner???? I have heard of other stuff?

And do most peopl just clean the faces of right down inside

Thanks guys for any help

D

dub

Mar 15, 2004
Moxee WA
Clean all faces and belt with HOT water and soap only. I will use some brake clean to spray in the clutch to get the dust and grime out then rinse and wash with soap and water...

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
NEVER ever use any petroleum product on the aluminum clutch face's.........why, they are cast and porus, yeah I know they don't look porus, but to prove it to yourself take an old clutch and heat it and weld on the clutch face, you will have black goo coming out of the aluminum and really contiaminate your weld. If you use brake cleaner, carb cleaner, acetone etc etc, when it hits that surface some of it soaks in and takes some of the oil and grease on your clutch surface with it. When you get your clutch real hot, just when you don't need it happening, the soaked in grease will come back to the surface. slippery slimey slew

Now............if you run a billet cnc machined aluminum clutch......READ NOTHING THE FACTORIES SELL, then the stuff won't soak into the more dense forged aluminum that most guys would be machining clutches out of.

And if none of that makes sense, save your self a lot of thinking and sled maintanence grief and............just stick to good dish detergent and scalding hot water, clutch faces and belts.

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
Clean clutches start off with clean belts...

And if you're quick, she won't even notice!

Hey TP, according to the pic, looks like you're getting ready for a day long ride on an M1!!! LOL!:p

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
Compressed air, then Dawn detergent & HOT water with scratch pads (white works best as they are not as aggressive as the green ones). Clutch surface should be smooth & clean, not scuffed up too much.

P
Jan 15, 2005
ND
According to what has been posted here I'm doing it all wrong. I scuff the sheaves on both clutches with a green scotchbrite and then clean with laquer thinner. Have been doing that for years with no troubles and my belts last a long time.

Premium Features