• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Chevy Mechanics

P
Nov 28, 2007
Kitimat B.C.
I just picked up a 96 GMC 4*4 ext. Cab (screaming deal). The truck has the 5.7(350) vortec in it and is using coolant. I am pretty sure that it is a leak in the intake manifold gasket as these engines are known for that problem.

Is there a permanent fix for this problem? I dont want to tear it apart and have it go again in 50,00 kms.

Is there a good chevy forum from which to get help?

Thanks in advance!!!

Electrolysis can really eat away at the gasket area around the water ports. Don't put it back on if it's eaten out bad. They can be weld filled and re machined if you can find someone in your area to do it. It's really crappy to weld and TIG is the only way. I've done many.
When you get the intake off, look close along the valley of the block. We've found some with cracks. If one side is covered with thick goo, it's cracked.
Always replace the heater hose fitting.

Good luck.

H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
Check the intake for a crack as this is a common problem with the plastic intake--they are known more for breaking intakes as well as the ocassional gasket going. These I beleive are the o-ring gaskets and rarely go. As far as the hose fitting--that should have been discounted a couple years before 96 that he is talking of--the early model disconects were a piece of CRAP.

H20SKE...

P
Nov 28, 2007
Kitimat B.C.
I am also not positive what year the actual motor is, a new crate motor was installed 126 000 kms ago.
I will go talk to the old owner next week and get all the receipts.

The disconnects in the 98 that I used to own were crap and I replaced them when I did the gasket on it.

I swore I would never own another truck with this motor although I loved everything else about the truck and this deal was too good to pass up.

I was kinda of hoping to find some sort of after market fix for the problem.

P
Nov 26, 2007
There is an updated intake from GM that solves this problem. Once installed you'll never have another problem with it. As said earlier replace the heater hose disconnects as they corrode. I think northern auto also sells the intake, probably a lot cheaper.

Premium Features