• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

changing belts on 09 M8 / M1000

tuffsled

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2008
Kent WA
I am in McCall and I did not read up on changing belts on these '09's. I wanted to switch the secondaries on these two sleds once. What is the trick to spreading the sheaves on these to get the belts off??? I knew how on the '08's but there has to be a trick on these ones. I left my manuals at home. Input would be appreciated! Thanks , TNTCOPP

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
9/16 wrench, lock brake

remove bolt and deflection adjustment thing

turn deflection adjustment thing around, big end against clutch

put bolt back in and tighten

bolt will now pull sheaves together

L
Nov 28, 2008
I am in McCall and I did not read up on changing belts on these '09's. I wanted to switch the secondaries on these two sleds once. What is the trick to spreading the sheaves on these to get the belts off??? I knew how on the '08's but there has to be a trick on these ones. I left my manuals at home. Input would be appreciated! Thanks , TNTCOPP

Take bolt out of secondary clutch. Take of the washer and lock washer. Pull out shim spacer and turn it around. Then put the bolt back in and tighten to spread the sheaves. Reverse process after complete.

tuffsled

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2008
Kent WA
thanks - got them swapped. I did it that way before I posted the thread but was not sure as nothing seemed like it was going to move. Thanks again.

D
Nov 26, 2007
hayden Idaho
you guys are making this harder than it needs to be, here's what i do, get a oil filter wrench, small one for like a toyota, put it over the secondary/helix, set the brake pull clock wise and the sheaves open, can change a belt in 30 seconds!

catsclimbtrees

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
Sherwood Park, Alberta
you guys are making this harder than it needs to be, here's what i do, get a oil filter wrench, small one for like a toyota, put it over the secondary/helix, set the brake pull clock wise and the sheaves open, can change a belt in 30 seconds!
Nope, not on the '09's the reverse notch in the helix makes it not happen. I use a "strap wrench", but couldn't get buddies belt off his '09 with it

Premium Features