• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CFI heated throttle bodies

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Finally looked at a CFI system and noticed the throttle bodies are heated! This would work riding powder and cold all the time to prevent icing problems. And noticed there is no shutoff valve, strange. Anyone install one off the head? Probably gain some mpg's by shutting the heat off when not needed. I'll bet all the CFI's would benefit from a shutoff valve, cooler carbs and air intake the better the power.
Doo's had heated carbs before, never looked at a newer one. Performance and fuel economy suffered when left on all the time. Shut it off and gained performance.

There's always something new to try, trying to convince a couple of my cousins to do this on there's. One an '07, other an '09, both 600's. CFI is supposed to get better fuel economy than carbs right? So Polaris advertises that since coming out with it, but I get way better mileage on a tank of gas then they do. 110-120 and they are out, I'm still going.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Hey Marv,

Interesting that you brought that up. I put that out on www.HARDCORESLEDDER a couple of months ago and got ZERO feedback.

I have a 2007 DRAGON 700, STOCK pipe, with a PC III (5-10% LEAN on top, 5-7% RICHER in mid-range), V-FORCE, SLP air horn & (4) flo-rites, clutches aligned (had to remove engine and slot bracket holes) and would definitely like to try it )along with blocking off the exhaust solenoid).

My bud rides a 2007 Ski-Doo 800 carbed and he has this 1/4" pipe threaded shoutoff that's factory installed (like you've described) owner's manual says to close it off for NORMAL conditions and turn it hot for SNOWY conditions.

Gas mileage on mine is 10 M.P.G. +/- .5, pretty hard on the flipper. BEST I ever saw was 11 mp.g.

Had a 2002 EDGE-X 800 with some bolt-on mods, HOLTZMAN ATAAC, got 13 M.P.G.

I think it's worth a try.

Last edited:

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Kraven,
Yes, I think it would be worth a try. If I had cfi I definitely would do it, you just need an inline shutoff valve. Everything is calibrated to outside air temps coming into the airbox, barometric pressure, throttle position, etc. I believe it would make a noticeable difference in how these CFI's run, perform and last.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
wow..very interesting..i removed mine on my900 when i insatlled the SLP head, but think a shut off on the wifes 06 700 would be worth a shot for sure..

good call..

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Have you tried it yet guidoexpress? Buddy is outa town for now, can't try it yet.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
vavle

Have you tried it yet guidoexpress? Buddy is outa town for now, can't try it yet.

Marv...

no i havent tried to install the valve on the wifes yet..i wont be able to mess with it for a while..(summer) been very sick lately and trying to get stuff ready for the sand dunes...(always something going on around here ;))

S

Sixat38

Nov 26, 2007
Spokane
I noticed this on the wifes 08 RMK 600 and am seriously thinking about a shut off valve myself.

And for what it's worth, I have heated carbs on my 2-smoke Yami with a factory shut off valve and have never had them turned on. From what we've found, the airbox temp in the yami runs +/- 20, and up to 30 degees F hotter than OSA. So unless it's below 10 degrees outside the carb heater is not necessary. I rarely ride in those temps and when I have I haven't had any carb freezing problems.

If i put that valve in the RMK for next year I'll definitely report back.

JL

S
Dec 27, 2007
Aberdeen, SD
I still have a yamaha 700 triple. It has heated carbs with shutoff. I turn the valve on for really cold mornings, especially after riding deep snow the day prior. I turn it off after riding a half hour. You can really notice a perf diff shortly after. When temps are 20 or warmer and the valve is open, it gives the feeling of being a jet size too rich. Turn the valve off and jetting feels just right again. You can tell the mileage suffers as well if you are running the carb heat when it isn't needed. Hope this info helps.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
I still have a yamaha 700 triple. It has heated carbs with shutoff. I turn the valve on for really cold mornings, especially after riding deep snow the day prior. I turn it off after riding a half hour. You can really notice a perf diff shortly after. When temps are 20 or warmer and the valve is open, it gives the feeling of being a jet size too rich. Turn the valve off and jetting feels just right again. You can tell the mileage suffers as well if you are running the carb heat when it isn't needed. Hope this info helps.

Out of curiosity, what does the YAMAHA owner's manual recommend?

The reason I ask is the the Ski-Doo manual for my bud's 2007 REV 800 CARBED, says to run the heat ONLY in snowy conditions, NO HEAT even in REALLY COLD temps???

You know what's interesting is that I got involved with hardcoresledder.com a year ago, posted this exact idea about the coolant shut-off on hardcoresledder 2 months ago and got absolutely ZERO feedback.

I'm starting to like this snowest site.

S
Dec 27, 2007
Aberdeen, SD

The reason I ask is the the Ski-Doo manual for my bud's 2007 REV 800 CARBED, says to run the heat ONLY in snowy conditions, NO HEAT even in REALLY COLD temps???

You know what's interesting is that I got involved with hardcoresledder.com a year ago, posted this exact idea about the coolant shut-off on hardcoresledder 2 months ago and got absolutely ZERO feedback.

The manual states, in below-freezing temperatures, move the lever to the on position. It follows with a CAUTION: be sure the lever is in the off pos when the machine is operated in above freezing cond. The 700 triple carbs are small and were prone to freeze-up in cold cond. and powder snow.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
I'm on hcs also. . .

But I prefer the real world info given and the mindset on snowest 10x's over hcs. More reliable knowledge here, no gimicks.
Heating the carbs and CFI throttle bodies should only be done in deep snow days when needed, and subzero conditions when you know you may ice up. Or the combination of the 2. Cooler carbs/throttle bodies make for cooler air going into the engine which is more dense and can make more power. Same concept as using an airbox instead of pod type filters that suck in warm underhood heat.

Come on, someone with a semi-problematic 800 try this out. Bet you'll run way better afterwards. 6/700's would benefit also. :)

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
But I prefer the real world info given and the mindset on snowest 10x's over hcs. More reliable knowledge here, no gimicks.
Heating the carbs and CFI throttle bodies should only be done in deep snow days when needed, and subzero conditions when you know you may ice up. Or the combination of the 2. Cooler carbs/throttle bodies make for cooler air going into the engine which is more dense and can make more power. Same concept as using an airbox instead of pod type filters that suck in warm underhood heat.

Come on, someone with a semi-problematic 800 try this out. Bet you'll run way better afterwards. 6/700's would benefit also. :)

Agree with you 100% on the bold.

I'm ALL in for trying it on my 2007 D-7, unfortunately I'm here in the midwest and it was 84* today. Earlest I'll be able to report back is January. It's time to get the Jet-Ski's ready here.

The reason I was asking about owner's manual reccomendations is "oddly enough" Ski-Doo made NO reference to running heaters in cold weather, ONLY in snowy conditions???

Premium Features