• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cats demo program?

Demo ride program

• Total voters

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
demo deals

IN good times a dealer can hang around his showroom and sell sleds, take it or leave it........hand the customer a brochure and a price and jump back behind the counter. I watch that at dealerships.......makes me sick. Great product, you got the buyer standing in front of you........and dealer chokes.

Its CATS PRODUCT and they need to take the lead here and I mean here in these BAD BAD times for spening mad money. None of us need new sleds, some of us want new sleds, some of us want the thrill of spending money. and Cat can only be successful in getting those sales by being proactive, this isn't a good time to retreat.

IN bad times in sales........you go to the customer.

WATCH.........cat won't..........board of directors bullchit, new CEO that knows nothing about snowmbile recreation, crisp new good times board of directors..........long since forgot what got them here with early 90's customer involvement programs, when they had to convice us to buy a cat from a BANKRUPT likely gone tomarrow company.

Going to be interesting to see who has the BAlls and who goes down in flames
..........the M series are great sleds even if they are marketed by the lame.

HMC 399

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2008
utah
Big Hoe just got off the phone with Bret and he said you're right there are dealers that abuse the program, but there is an easy fix, make the dealers chip in some coin for each demo ride, thus they will utilize it like they do in our neck of the woods. He thought on the whole it was a great program that when dealers utilized it they had great results from it.

I think I agree with sandman and nublin wait and get one cheaper, we are in a deep recession that is about 18 months away from solid recovery (I'm being optimistic), so I will pick one up on a fire sale in Jan. when an over committed dealer is on their way out.

I think Cat really screwed this one up, but hey it's not my company so I'm going to sit back and monday quarterback this one. On a side note Bret said this sled will be everything it's billed as and then some and it's a shame people can't ride them this year because it would push alot of people off the fence, who knows we'll see come Nov.

Cat when you are fealing it next jan. and your dealer sales are hurting don't blame it all on the economy or your dealers, man up and realize that it was you that listened to that bean counter.

R
Jan 21, 2008
Montana
demos....

Question- How many of you would go in and buy a new/used car from an auto dealership without test driving it? Lets say you are after a Lexus or Ford or whatever make you want. Yes, a small percentage will go and buy just based on word of mouth, friends or magazine reviews and tv ads. But do you see the corporate company of Ford or Lexus or whatever offering demo rides from the corporate level? No...rather the local Lexus or Ford dealerships handle and offer the local demo or test rides. So what is so different about Arctic Cat. Yes there have been some tough choices and cut backs and most won't agree with the decisions made but that's life. What you need to be aware of is Cat also offers a good demo program on demo sleds to the dealerships that want to participate. The number of demos is based on how many sleds the dealership commits too. It is a joint partnership and also up to the dealerships to get people involved on their local dealership demos. The dealerships have to make that commitment to you the consumer as well. And yes some dealerships do offer demo rides but unfortunately some don't. I am sure the dealers that get people in the seats and "they" offer local demo rides are the same dealers that seem to sell sleds and keep the consumers happy. The demo program is a good one, the opportunity is there but how many dealerships actually follow thru or even take advantage of it? Brett is an awesome person and I really hope cat reconsiders and offers the 2010 demo rides to resume when the budgets allow. I hope they find any position that they can for Brett, maybe R&D or whatever..the guy is a wealth of knowledge and an awesome rider. I do wish him the best and I hope something works out for him really soon. I hope he has the opportunity to stay with cat in some fashion. The only different between Arctic Cat and the local dealership is a bunch of extra zeros. Both parties are having to make tough decisions. All of the OEM's are in the same position and all of the OEM's have made huge cutbacks and even let go employees...Ski Doo, Arctic Cat, Polaris and Yamaha. Yamaha did not even have a dealer snowmobile show this season. Arctic Cat did step up to the plate and commit to making greater improvements to the new 2010 M series models, what did the other OEM's do new on their 2010 mountain sleds besides decals? Keep in mind all of the OEM's including Arctic Cat had to make tough choices in more than just the demo rides area. The dealers and consumers all love the demo program and I agree to what most of you are saying but there is more to consider. Could HMC and Catsledman1 please PM me...thanks for listening to my two cents....now THINK SNOW AND GO RIDE:)

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
In 2005 I had the chance to go on a cat demo ride, after the ride I decided to keep my old 03 sled a couple more years. This last spring had another chance to go on a demo ride (With Brett). After the demo ride I snow checked an 09 M8 162. In both cases the demo ride made my decision for me. For me it was like buying a car, I could not simply spend 10k on a broshure or an add from the net, I needed to see what my money was going to buy. As for no demo rides for the 10 models, had they had them I could have been on the fence with a new purchase had I really been impressed with the new 800 motor. Instead I just bought an slp single pipe set + an air box kit. That should get me to 160hp and I'll be very happy. I understand in bad ecomomic times cuts have to be made it's to bad this program got the ax.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
The difference I see as far as dealers go is that a car dealership can easily sell a car/truck with a few, or even a few hundred miles as NEW.
A sled dealer will have a hard time selling a sled with more than 2-3 miles on it as new.

HMC 399

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2008
utah
PM'd you ryan, your post about your night ride in feb. makes my arguement, what type of riding was the 60 miles? Sounds impressive

A

ak m8

Dec 3, 2007
Chugiak, AK
As far as I know, there has never been a demo ride in Alaska. We have Arctic Man here with literally 10's of thousands of people from all over come to enjoy the festivities. Poo, Doo, and Yahama all have demo rides and huge displays. Arctic Cat does not. I love my M8, Just getting tired of the chitty Arctic Cat service. What has happened to good old custermer service? Not everyone would be happy with anything dealers do, but there is a LARGE group of people that do. Great customer service as well sells.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Like what was said earlier in this post,,, the greedy slugs at the top of this company are going to kill it. Any one notice the change in quality control in the past few years?? With money as tight as it is if you don't step up and honor customers they (cat) lose in the end. Been struggling to make it myself and would love to buy new or left over just can't right now, but one thing is for sure a good demo ride is motivating!!!

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Demos

Looks like the ball falls on the reps this year to take care of the demos. I will have 4 2010 at the warming hut this Saturday the 21 for rides. It is the Franklin County High Markers Fun run. Lunch will be served between 11.30 and 2 Pm Saturday Bring your on drinks.

On a different note I was quite surprised to not hear from more of you on this issue of cut backs. I as a dealer am having to deal with this daily. They are making us jump threw more hoops to do warranty but it plan makes me mad they expect us to sell more units in 2010 than in 09 but they are going to cut back on marketing. I also think that it is funny we don't find out about until after they get our order fore 2010 sleds. Well I guess we all have to do what it take to make threw the tough times and cut where we can.

HMC 399

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2008
utah
Looks like the ball falls on the reps this year to take care of the demos. I will have 4 2010 at the warming hut this Saturday the 21 for rides. It is the Franklin County High Markers Fun run. Lunch will be served between 11.30 and 2 Pm Saturday Bring your on drinks.

On a different note I was quite surprised to not hear from more of you on this issue of cut backs. I as a dealer am having to deal with this daily. They are making us jump threw more hoops to do warranty but it plan makes me mad they expect us to sell more units in 2010 than in 09 but they are going to cut back on marketing. I also think that it is funny we don't find out about until after they get our order fore 2010 sleds. Well I guess we all have to do what it take to make threw the tough times and cut where we can.

I'm telling you cut your order in half Kevin. The rules of the game have changed and will continue to do so, we r still a good 18 months from a solid recovery and the extra toys r the first to go. That or make them step up to the plate with extended flooring options. Sorry not to be doom and gloom but a little restraint is what everyone seems to be thinking. JMO

Tree Boss

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2009
Franklin County ID
I am happy to hear Kevin will have 4 2010 M8's up there. I am a ski-doo fan (please don't leave me red!!) and I rode with Bret earlier this year on the 09's and loved the sled. When I read about the 2010's I called my friend to get a hold of Bret and let's get a ride set up so I can test one out and possibly jump ship from Ski-Doo to Arctic Cat. He called me back and said they cut the program, so now I have to fight hundreds of people to ride for 5 minutes on the sleds at the warming hut this Saturday. When Me, Mitch, and Bret rode for 2 and half hours non stop 2 months ago that is the way to sell the sled. I felt as if they were not as strong as my XP but I am willing to bet that they are now, and even better

So now I will wait til next year and keep up on the Arctic Cat forum to see how everybody likes the new sled. Maybe 5 minutes on the new sled will sell it self to me but I doubt it. I like how the program with Bret was set up, ride it for a half a day and then decide if you like it. Arctic Cat if you read this I have snow checked a 2007 ski-doo and a 2009 ski-doo, I would like to snow check a 2010 Arctic Cat but think I will wait to hear from you guys around mid January 2010.

Last edited:
S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
everybody just needs to go ride and buy onesaturday.dont need a scenic tour.with 160+ horses you know its gunna spank everything else.:beer;

F
Feb 25, 2003
New Meadows Idaho
It was nice to talk with you Kevin in Vegas. I feel your pain Cat pushes big inventory then when an over stocked dealer asks for help all they get is talk to the finance company. Looks like the bean counters are up at night finding ways to not help the dealers out. By the way the demo program is the reason I ride an 09 M8 Sp.It was great to see the new sleds and products and I felt great untill we went across the hall to the black rooms pressure on if you know what I mean. Hang in there not going to be a good year for the dealers!!

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah

Were is that at Kevin. We were going up this weekend to franklin basin. maybe we could swing up. I want to look at one for my Wife. Thanks

Bret should not be out of a job. I swear Him and Burandt are the only two reasons Arctic Cat is selling mountain sleds.

Those two have solely FIGURED OUT and SHOWED the general public WHY cats are the best in the mountains.

Without Bret showing off reality, everyone would be buying Doo's because they believe the marketing B.S.

Awesome way to repay that.

M

M-niner

Nov 27, 2007
Black Hills, SD
I gotta say, I am at a loss here. I am in the almost 40% as of now, who voted on not knowing anything about this program. I would tend to wager that that percentage is probably higher off this forum. So were only certain dealers allowed to participate in this program?? It was never offered to me and keep in mind that I have purchased 4 new sleds since 2004. And from a typical consumer standpoint, I don't need to watch someone show me what a snowmobile can do, that isn't me, and that isn't the typical rider.

M
Dec 2, 2007
MT
Let me start by saying that I normally agree with most of your posts, but in my opinion your way off on this one.

1. When you are cutting costs in lean times you want to maximize your advertising dollars. In the information age what better way to do it than get them on the snow for the consumers to touch, feel, ride, evaluate etc. Then you go from speculation to real world knowledge, somebody puts post on snowest and you have no b.s advertising to a few thousand potential buyers, word of mouth referrals get generated and dealers sell product. A healthy dealer base creates better long term health for Cat, A healthy cat has more funds to continue R&D and the end result is the consumer wins, the dealer wins, and cat wins. When everyone in business is panicking that is when you need to be proactive in looking forward. Is cat cutting their throats by not supporting their dealers in lean times, He!! yes. Dealers will suffer from this.

2. When can I come ride one of these 2010 demo's your dealer has in his hands. I'm not talking about in nov. I'm talking about now, I have to make my decision now on snow checks to get the best deal so I want to know I'm making a smart 11K decision. An informed buyer is a happy one. P.M. me and I'll fly up, I'm not talking one of those cheesy rides where 100 people fight for 5 minutes of seat time I want at least an hour in the trees, I've always got that in the past and it has helped me make informed decisions thus a much more satisfied buyer. I don't think frosty would have bought a 10 without riding one, why should we?

3. What's wrong with a Brett, or Chris that preceded him, showcasing what a cat really can do. Most people can't ride like them, most people don't even know what a Cat does better than a poo or a doo, but experts like that showcase the product and that sells sleds. These guys aren't the suck up dealer reps. (sorry if that offends or doesn't apply) that can't ride to save their lives that make the sleds look bad every time they crawl aboard, these are guys that show why Cat is better than other brands. I have brought a half dozen guys over from the dark side by stupid little demo's. Most people that buy in april want to know what they are getting in nov. and a cheesy add in snowest isn't enough for me.

4. Poo choked in 05 and 06 because they quit listening to what the consumer wanted, poo acknowledged this and pointed to this as there downfall. These demo rides get direct input from real world situations that give direct feedback to R&D, case in point last years steering post had problems on demo rides, they identified and corrected before production, thus saving money, not costing money, how much does a recall or a lawsuit cost compared to a few real world demo rides? Brett listens to consumers on these rides and that feedback gets back to cat. I hope they aren't going down poo's road, out of the 12 of my group that snow checked the 02 rmk 800 only 1 still rides and if I get him on a 2010 demo ride he'll convert, it got him off a doo and on to a poo in 02. If these sleds are as good as Cat is claiming, show me, I'd love to know why I should sell my sled and upgrade in these difficult times. If doo would have had enough demo's for 08 there is no way they would have let all the problems slide into production.

5. What dealer has one? VOHK, Kevin, big boys, racing station? I know it's going to screw your weekend ride up but can I tag along this weekend or next? I'll cover my gas and oil, I promise not to fall too far behind, I haven't fallen too far behind brett, and I have a good running 09 800 or stock 07 1000 I'll bring to let you ride while I'm on the 2010, afterwards I'll buy you a steak at the place of your choice, yes that goes for you too Kevin. That ought to settle the wife or kid down. If This sled is as good as I think than what does cat really have to lose, getting them on the snow will sell them. I am very fortunate I can afford to buy one this year but I refuse to make an uninformed decision in these difficult times, so no ride =no purchase for this guy.

sorry for the rant but IMHO cats short-sided and hurting the dealers on this on.

oh and I voted yes they help if you couldn't guess
Come December you will be able to cherry pick just about any model off the showroom floor for less. Buddy price out a Nytro XTX and a Dragon last spring, didn't do anything and got an XTX for about 500 less then snow check...

M
Mar 19, 2009
Having arctic cat cancel that program was stupid. I was able to ride with Bret a couple of times and brought a friend of mine that is a stubborn ski-doo rider that wanted to give the m8 a chance. We were able to ride for a couple of hours, not 2 trips up the hill, and his mind was changed about the manuverablitly through the trees, and the overall performance of the sled. Watching one of the best mountain riders, Bret, picking lines through trees that you never would have found, and all of the sudden you end up on an open hillside with fresh snow and no tracks!! People like Bret and Burandt show you what these sleds are capable of doing. And Bret is a great guy that will answer any of your questions about stock to turbo sleds.

I really hope they decide to bring the program back as other buddies have contacted me about riding the new sleds with Bret. Its a great opportunity to find out what Arctic Cat brings to the hill every year if you ride a different sled.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
went into an upscale auto dealer a couple of years ago, pretty well set in my mind to get one......salesman didn't really know much about the car, no surprise there......i asked for a demo ride, he said "sure"....got the keys and as i settled into the seat, he says "don't be gone long, just around the block, huh?".....i said back, "no problem, i won't be gone long at all, in fact i won't go at all, and you can keep the keys".....needless to say i never bought one, and never went back............yes cat, cutting back on the expenses of the demo program is money you can see on your bottom line......the problem is, you can't count the money that doesn't walk in the front door.....so instead of being able to ride the sled and make the judgement now, i won't make it until next winter sometime, if i happen to ride with someone that has one....and then i might as well wait for the 2011s...........

Premium Features