• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carlisle XS809 vs Polaris 321115; anybody ran both?

guys i just found out that Carlisle will warranty their belts for a year which i didn't know.

so my question is has anyone ran the carlisle xs809 belt on their polaris and what was your thoughts (good belt, last longer, etc vs. the polaris 321080, 321111, 321115 belts)

carlisle is $100 shipped and polaris 321111 i was running is $140 more for the 15 and no warranty?

thinking bout trying it on my 975 but wanted input if anyone has any!

thanks

N
Put a couple of the Ulimax xs on two different sleds, They were ok when not working to hard. Once into lots of powder and working the them hard they both seemed to seperate. i will be sending them back for new ones as they both only had around 400 miles on them. Ran the ultimax 3 last year and it held up pretty good. Ran it for the last half of the year and blew up finally this year after woking it hard. I'm going try the XS again and see if they will work.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I love the XS-809 belt!!! :D Designed specifically for big twins. Able to take a lot of heat. A more flexible belt than the 1115. And a much stickier compound that helps reduce belt slip. I don't stop for much when riding. I have relentlessly busted powder for hours on end and this belt has come out smiling.
Some trivia knowledge for you. During the design stages of this belt. They put it on a cat and actually had to adjust clutching. This belt reduced slippage so much that they lost 600 rpm. :eek:
I have felt for some time that although the 1115 belt can take a lot of abuse. It may also be the cause of some serious belt slippage. A much harder compound. I notice a big difference when switching between the 2. The 1115 always leaves residue on the face of the clutch. Some people have reported some grooving on the face of their clutch as well. We are only guessing that this is coming from constant slippage.
Like comparing a race tire to a high mileage tire IMO. As with any belt. Proper clutch setup goes a long way to belt life and performance.
Anyway, that has been my experience. Hope that helps.
http://www.bobscycle.com/browse.cfm/4,97337.html

C

cowill2

Jan 5, 2009
Pueblo, CO
Their are great deals on belts on ebay if you query "polaris snowmobile belts". some pretty good prices.

My belt is in pretty good shape and i actually just purchased a fifty dollar Gates belt for my sled just in case i burn my 11115 out. I think you really need to be rippin it to burn that polaris belt out. If i have to break out my gates belt I will give a nice review and i hope to read the thread to see how the carlisle belts work for you. i've been pretty interested in those.

Hope to hear soon

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I can't compare the XS with the 1115, but I prefer it over the 1080 belt. I am running a stock '05 700 RMK 144", that I am apparently hard on 1080 belts. I geared down slightly to help take the load off. With the 1080 belt at least I would get the thing hot in deep snow or hard pulls and it would spit a cord and delaminate. The XS on the other hand held up to a full season and some deep snow last year. I know I got it hotter than usual on one heavy day since the hood vents liquified and found themselves on the muffler.

For whatever reason, I was busting trail for some other sleds on the first ride out this season and had about 30 miles on when we hit the groomed road to rip back to the trucks for lunch. Got about a mile onto the road and hit a straight-a-way and gave it what for, BAM! XS belt actually broke (two seperate ends with cords everywhere) and made room for itself in the belt compartment. I put on my spare 1080 and went for lunch.

Needless to say, I went back to the dealer and got another two XS belts, one to replace the unusable one and now one for a spare. $95 belt that held up better than the 1080's ($70) and soaked up a bunch more heat.

VB

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
I have been clutching my 08 dragon 163 with the 080 belt. I have to run lighter weights than what is recommended with the 115 belt. And prefer a stiffer spring combo. Had indy dan work over the primary, setting it up for the 080 belt. Also have the clutches aligned properly. Have the venting stuff also.
This saturday I should have things done.(needed 150 more rpm). I have been doing a lot of boondocking with this setup and seen an 08 m1000 kill a belt and 04 ve800 kill one. We were doing the same riding type stuff.
Didn't really see the tell-tell backshifting problems associated with a belt getting hot, so I never bothered to feel my clutches. Will check temps this weekend.
The way I see it is that before these high dollar belts came out that big tripples or even 910's were fine on the 080 belts with proper clutching. I clutch for the constant climbing/boondocking thing. Eventually all belts at some point will get hot, but it is possible to minimize it I feel. I won't have the highest track speed but will trade that for longer play time. Would clutch a lot different if I was doing the straight up really big climb then sit at the bottom with hood up waiting for cool down type thing. Hopefully it all works out which it should as my 03 edge has more engine power than this dragon and I can pound the heck out of my clutches on that sled. I typically change belts once a year.(maybe 1000mi) Call me silly I guess but $100+ for belts is dumb.

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I just switched over to the xs 809 and I lost 250 rpms but the sled feels alot snapper. My drive clutch was showing signs of wear down low from the 1115 slipping I belive.I had to machine .030 out of the spider to get the right clearence for the belt and sheaves. I got my belts from outdoor supply on line they by far had the best price shipped to my door.

G
Nov 28, 2007
Montana
Xs809

My Dad and I run them on our 07 D7 and 08 Shift. Both sleds had primary shimmed for them and they are working as good as the 1115. We are saving money and even had a warranty on an "oops" by my Dad with no interrogation. I give these belts the thumbs up.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I just changed to MTX weights and the XS809, did a quick belt clearance check and it was .010 so I figured I was good to go and stuck the clutch back on and took it for a run. When idling the thing want's to squeel a little bit every now and then, belt deflection is good and it's not wanting to creep. Went to the new 1111 belt the dealer sent me and that does the same thing. Didn't do that with the old belt on it, I assume my clearance just isn't right for the new belts?? Will look into it deeper today.

thanks guys keep the posts coming.

seems to be some that like and some that don't? would like to get an overall consensus on it before comitting to buying the xs809 vs polaris belts.

I have run the 1080 and 321111 but not the 15 on my 975 so wondering if my sleds setup for the 321111 will i have to do anything to the clutch to run the xs809 or not?

thanks

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
ive used both. When having clutching problems last season swapped my XS809 to the 115..no difference. The loss of RPMs about 250 was due to the 2010 08 rebuild.

I noticed that the 809 did squeel at idle a bit more. It took a bit more adjustment on the secondary to fine tune it out. After further review...it may have been water getting on the belt. A lot of snow built up on the foot wells on the clutch side when melting runs right under the clutch in the bottom. Bouncing arouind it may get on the belt..thats when it squeeled the most. When dry it didnt make a sound...they do grab better than the 115..noticed that coming downhill..it was like adding another compression brake.

Premium Features