• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carlisle Ultimax XS Belt

C
Feb 1, 2008
Any good or bad experience using this belt on an 09 M8. My sled blows belts every 2-300 miles and this belt was recommended by a dealer. He has checked and double checked alignment, offset and deflection and all within AC's specs. Thanks:beer;

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
Good belt. My old Rotax triple would eat Ultimax 3s for breakfast with all perfect clutch setups. Ran my Ultimax XS for a year and a half before I couldn't adjust the deflection out of it anymore. Highly recommended, even if it is a from a doo guy :D

J
Nov 27, 2007
I've got about 800 miles on my XS belt and it is on a race gas turbo M8. Took it off just yesterday to break in my spare just cause I figure I should. I'll put it back on next ride and go with it till it pops cords.

I didnt like it, it dropped my rpms from 8000 to 7600 on my m7. It would also squeal at idle with proper deflection. Overall it made my sled sluggish. I put my stock brand new belt back on and the rpms went back up to 8000. If you do put it on you will have to adjust your clutching. The carisle belt is stickier and doesent slip as much as the arctic cat belt.

C
Feb 1, 2008
Both

You get 2-300 miles on a belt on your 09 M8?! Whats your secret!!!? haha

Are you blowing belts, or pulling the cord out of it all the time?

Both blowing and pulling the cords out but mostly pulling the cords out first. In my opinion I believe that the vulcanization is VERY POOR. Check out how easily you can pull the cords out compared to other brand (DOO and POO) belts. Poor design from the Cat belt manufacturer:(

smoothdawg

Premium Member
Apr 7, 2008
Spokane, WA.
Have you done any venting? I installed side and shock tower vents on my 09 1000 and it cured the problem so far. Is your clutching stock?

S
Jan 1, 2008
I have had problems running ultimax belts, both the U3 and the XS on Arctic Cats.....causes loss of RPM's.....makes em fluctuate.......ran them on Yamahas with no probs...

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I didnt like it, it dropped my rpms from 8000 to 7600 on my m7. It would also squeal at idle with proper deflection. Overall it made my sled sluggish. I put my stock brand new belt back on and the rpms went back up to 8000. If you do put it on you will have to adjust your clutching. The carisle belt is stickier and doesent slip as much as the arctic cat belt.

This same thing will happen with the new belts (060) this isn't a flaw it's less slip. you have to clutch the older sleds for the xs or 060 belt but with the new sleds that are intended to run the 060 the XS will be comparable to stock.

I go back & forth from xs to 060 depending on if I remembered to send my last xs in when it blew, I have gotten better belt life out of the carlisle belts & more importantly to me MUCH more obvious that they're about to blow. I have grenaded most of my 060's but have yet to fully blow an XS which decreases the chances of crank problems in the future.

B
Dec 21, 2006
They run well they just don't slip as much. That makes your clutch set up more important. It will put more of a load on the motor so you might need to go down on clutch weights to get your r's up.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
I actually think im going to try an XS here next time. I agree catunder, you can pull the cord out with no force what so ever. I had the cord pull out in 30 miles of break in (early season trail riding), and my personal best so far was 125 miles, before pulling a cord on a fresh belt. I've tried dead on Cat bar setup on the clutches, pulling the secondary in .060, and lately playing with weight placement with the adjustable weights. Somehow got warmer clutches, but a bit more life on the cord?? Im not sure what the Canuck pricing will be on a XS compared to the Cat belt, but for the amount of belts a guy has to buy anyways, big deal.

Premium Features