• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Button vs Team clutches in Hill Climbing and Deep Snow

Hi, I've tried to do a lot of research about the difference between the two clutches. All the forums that I have seen on this subject is with trails, flatland, lake, grass racing, etc. If anybody could provide me with some of the answers below based upon the conditions I ride in.

1. How to does button compare to Team clutches on Hill Climbing and deep snow at 8000 to 12000 feet?

2. Last year I put a new SLP pipe, can and made the drive clutch changes, but did not change the driven spring or helix. I added the SLP Mountain helix, spring, new buttons to my 2002 edge 800 button clutch, what kinda performace or what impact will this make? With this new helix, will a team still be required for best performance? or just save my monney.

3. There is a new Team Tied clutch vs the rapid reaction team clutch. You can pick up the rapid reaction for really cheap. Is there enough of a performance difference to spend it on the Team tied for the snowmobiling I do.

Much appreciated,

Tee

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
team

I am of the opinion that if you don't need the team for electronic reverse then use the button. Button runs cooler that the Team. I understand the tied runs about as cool as the button.
I tried about every combo I could with a Team on my XCR. Never could get it to hold RPM. Dropped the button on it and it was spot on. Button will accelerate quicker than the team as well. The therory behind the Team is less friction. My experience is that they may back shift a little quicker but I don't think they are better on the friction because they run hotter.

As for the Tied, I don't have any experience with it so I would say button or possibly the Tied.

All of my riding is mountain.

I am of the opinion that if you don't need the team for electronic reverse then use the button. Button runs cooler that the Team. I understand the tied runs about as cool as the button.
I tried about every combo I could with a Team on my XCR. Never could get it to hold RPM. Dropped the button on it and it was spot on. Button will accelerate quicker than the team as well. The therory behind the Team is less friction. My experience is that they may back shift a little quicker but I don't think they are better on the friction because they run hotter.

As for the Tied, I don't have any experience with it so I would say button or possibly the Tied.

All of my riding is mountain.

Thanks for the input, just another question.. Have you used any of the SLP Mountain Helix? How will that effect things?

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
The clutches are a pair and work together. If you don't match the drive to driven you are likely leaving performance on the table.

So things the helix and spring change will give you are more consistant RPM, better back shift, harder upshift, more track speed, quicker acceleration, etc... its really hard to say what you are going to see because they are supposed to work together.

sled_guy

S
Oct 17, 2008
team vs button

They are both good clutches...the button is easier to tune because you have the five holes to set windup of the secondary spring...so once you get close wih a helix/spring combo, you have 50rpm increments to fine tune with. Because the team has much more spring force, it snaps shut much faster when you let off the throttle...the on/off throttle reponse is much better, or if you are hard on the brakes then on the throttle, it allows the engine to respond faster. It's a good sno-x clutch. Heat in any clutch is from slippage....add sideforce as in more spring pressure or less helix angle...providing the sheeves have been serviced properly.

Premium Features