• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

IBackshift clutch kit review

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Well I now have over 500 hundred miles on my sled, and would like to thank Joey at iBackshift for an awesome product!
I only had to adjust my belt deflection once after initial break-in, and its been good since. This would explain the lack of belt dust when blowing out the clutches during maintenance. I know it hasn’t been a stellar year for snow, but still it is odd not to have to adjust the deflection more.
Like always the back shifting has been great coming down a steep incline. Giving one blurp on the throttle the clutches engage making the descent controlled instead of a bobsled run. I have let several people ride my sled and upon returning they comment on the first time letting off the throttle not expecting the strong back shift and catching themselves almost going over the bars.
One of my favorite features of the iBackshift clutch kits is the ease of changing weights for the altitude you plan on riding. Being I got the Expert Turbo this year I haven’t had the need to change my weights at all. I put in Joe’s recommended weights on install and it has worked awesome.
Last week after a climb one of the other riders said they were catching up to me fast on the way up the hill. I said I didn’t know it was a race, because I wasn’t going full throttle. Between the turbo, and iBackshift clutching I go just fast enough to make most climbs. I have the conference knowing how much performance I’m holding in reserve.

Thanks again iBackshift for an awesome product!

C
Mar 15, 2018
I also put an "ibackshift" kit in my '22 summit. I have had the sled out twice since, last time was this last weekend. I quite like it. I chuckled at your comment about people almost going over the bars as I have had that happen several times on the trail. I particularly like the low engagement. To be fair I did not have a good chance to REALLY try it out even though we rode two days. I had also put my finger throttle back on to give it a proper try and took it back off as soon as I got home. Having the finger throttle pretty much screwed up my whole weekend as I just could NOT control my throttle off trail so I did very little "riding". At least I KNOW for sure that the finger throttle is NOT for me. Can't wait to get to try the clutching to its fullest extent but from the little bit that I rode it seemed like a significant improvement.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I also have a finger throttle on mine, and love it off trail. I don’t care much for it on a cold long trail ride to some of our play areas, but feel it gives me considerable better throttle response when playing. I think half the people that tried my sled commented that they really liked the finger throttle, and I know one of them is looking for one for their new Polaris right now. It does take a few rides to be totally comfortable with it.

C
Mar 15, 2018
I know that a LOT of people that try the finger throttle love it. I think the % that try it and take it back off is EXTREMELY small. For me, I just have ZERO confidence when trying to ride off trail with it. I had a couple episodes where the I gave th sled a blast of throttle and the machine lurched so far that I was delayed in letting off due to the pull of the machine and the end result was........not good. If we were in GOOD power, rather than hero snow my experience may have been different and I may have had a better chance to learn better control. I dunno. It's gone now and it will never see my handle bar again.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Thanks for the feedback. its a testimony for my test guys, their work mostly. You are riding their works, i just put it together like an amateur editor from all their feedback.
Engine braking with the iB 850 turbo clutch kit should hold....
21 top gear hold to 12~14mph
20 top gear hold to 9~11mph
19 top gear hold to 6~8mph
...strength depending on belt deflection.

rabidsnowmobiler

Lifetime Membership
May 27, 2011
Very similar experience on my 21 turbo expert. 1800 miles on my sled now and it's had ibackshift clutching from day 1. Works great! Original belt and only had to adjust deflection once so far. Backshift when tree riding is awesome!

Premium Features