• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Busted Clutch Puller!

C
Dec 11, 2007
St.Regis MT
You guys will love this! Bought a '03 900 on Fri. Brought it home and decided to clean it up and check it out before taking it out.The clutches looked dirty so I blew them out with the air compressor and got the puller out to remove the primary. Damn was it tight! Backed it off....tapped it a bit...tightened some more. Then SNAP! The puller broke off! I took the grinder to the end and flattened it off again and got out the cutting torch to warm things up a bit....ran out of gas!:mad:
Today I left work early and got new bottles and came home to try again. Heat didn't work. So I teflon taped the he!! out of the threads and filled er up with 50 wieght oil. She finally popped. So try the hydralics if this happens to you. It works!:D
It was very rusted....guess he didn't sevice the clutches as often as he said he did.Need to order a new puller now.....this one is about to become a piece of "ShopArt" alongside some broken pistons,valves etc from other adventures!

P1.JPG P2.JPG P8.JPG P9.JPG

Snowmaker

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
So I teflon taped the he!! out of the threads and filled er up with 50 wieght oil. She finally popped. So try the hydralics if this happens to you. It works!

learning something new so i put oil in the crank and builds more pressure when tightening down??????????????

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
So I teflon taped the he!! out of the threads and filled er up with 50 wieght oil. She finally popped. So try the hydralics if this happens to you. It works!

learning something new so i put oil in the crank and builds more pressure when tightening down??????????????

more surface pressure and continuous constant delivery...also there are posts where people do the same but with water and will let it freeze outside and the expanding ice has your clutch popped of easily..i use to remove pilot brgs in flywheels with heavy grease packed and bolt close to pilot brg size and wallop with hammer..the grease impacted drives the pilot brg out

C
Dec 11, 2007
St.Regis MT
water trick

My bro Dave told me about the water freeze trick too. I thought I'd try the oil first and it worked. I wasn't even touching it when it came off.My prybar had slipped and I smashed my index finger good...so I was cussing and sucking on my bloody finger when I heard it POP! Looked down and it was laying there off to the side....

P3.JPG

M
Nov 29, 2007
WI/MN/WY
Is that a Parts Unlimited puller? I had one like that and it did the same thing. I think the PU one is just plain old steel with some cheap paint on it. Got the Arctic Cat one which is made a little tougher and haven't had a problem yet.

Premium Features