• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Burning Coolant....

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Well I got this 1200 running finally. Took it out on it's maiden voyage, and during the day noticed oil in the water, a lot of it. No coolant loss.
That night I drained the coolant and flushed the system. Got it all back together and went out the next day.
I noticed a small amount of white smoke in the morning but, chalked it up to condensation. Half way through the day I noticed some coolant on the ground after I sat for a while. Just about the same time I noticed white smoke again. Well it went downhill fast, lots of coolant loss and lots of white smoke. Ran out of water so we towed it out.
So here is my question. The motor is out and disassembled. Water pump seals are toast, both water and oil. Bushing is bad, water pump shaft is bad. So I found the loss of coolant. But, what about burning it. The head and base gasket were good.
Do you think that I could get enough water through the crank seals to burn? If so, now that the leak will be resolved, should I replace them? I am not interested at throwing good money at good parts, but I need to find where the coolant is getting into the engine..
Any thoughts?

K

Klimbing Kitty

If it is not one thing it is another brother

OK who is the 1200 made by? Is your coolant blowing out the overflow? I am just asking because i threw a lot money at something that sounds exactly the same. Grey oily sludge in your coolant? My sled ran perfect for the first 500 miles then it all went to hell. Are you sure the O-rings are good in the head? There should be 4 of them i think. Pull your head off and put it on a flat plate and look to see if the bottom is not flat. Shine a light across the bottom to make sure there in no warp. The oily sludge would be exaust blowing back into your coolant lines which will make it overheat. If it is the same problem they should warranty the cylinder. i replaced pumps sensors o-ring after o-ring and it ruined a 10 day trip at Revy and cost about $2500 before we figure it out. Hope it helps:confused::confused:

K

Klimbing Kitty

Do you mix your oil or have you deleted your oil resevoir? I replaced the water pump it was not that. If you are not mixing your oil your water pump will run your oil pump and if your water pump is broken you will not be getting any oil to your engine. Bet your last dollar it will seize. Do you have side vents that you would see the coolant running out or is it just pooling in the belly pan and then running out the hole? If you have a tube on your overflow you would probably not see it blowing out the side like i did.....

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Yes sir, one thing after another with this sled. Thanks for the help though.

As for the sled, BDX oil delete. Water pump is completely shot, this I do know. I need to check the head for warpage but, the o-rings were good, and yes there is four of them.
When I drained my coolant the first time, it was almost black. Lots of oil in it.
There was not as much in it but, most of it was lost out the belly pan. I do not think it was pushing the coolant out the overflow. I know I was loosing a ton out the weep hole in the water pump though.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
I just checked the head. Looks flat. Although it looks like it was offset from the pistons just enough that they were tapping the head on the sides about 1/16th of an inch.
I guess it could have been lifting the head a little?

gopher-it!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
m1000

Yes sir, one thing after another with this sled. Thanks for the help though.

As for the sled, BDX oil delete. Water pump is completely shot, this I do know. I need to check the head for warpage but, the o-rings were good, and yes there is four of them.
When I drained my coolant the first time, it was almost black. Lots of oil in it.
There was not as much in it but, most of it was lost out the belly pan. I do not think it was pushing the coolant out the overflow. I know I was loosing a ton out the weep hole in the water pump though.

i just went through this my 09m1000, shaft, bushing in cases, impeller, housing, all water pump seals. shaft walked back 1/8 of an inch into the case bushing, also have bdx oil delete, i had pumped a bit of grease into it went i assembled it, not sure if that did it. anyways i put oil pump back on and run a small skidoo bottle now.also black in my coolant.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
i just went through this my 09m1000, shaft, bushing in cases, impeller, housing, all water pump seals. shaft walked back 1/8 of an inch into the case bushing, also have bdx oil delete, i had pumped a bit of grease into it went i assembled it, not sure if that did it. anyways i put oil pump back on and run a small skidoo bottle now.also black in my coolant.

This is also what happened with the bushing on mine. I wonder wtf? Is the BDX kit too long do you think?

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Hard to see but here is a pic of my defective cylinder. It ran good for the first 500 miles and then fell apart. Check them over very careful and make sure the o-ring's sit in perfectly and do not get squished or pinched

Ha, that's crazy. I have never seen that before. Must have been a friday that day eh? lol

gopher-it!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
bdx

This is also what happened with the bushing on mine. I wonder wtf? Is the BDX kit too long do you think?

maybe letting the shaft walk back and forth and working its way into the bushing? not taking anymore chances. put oiler on , still premix, but oil only to the crank from small bottle.

Premium Features