• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Brand New belt missing chunks

I was looking around my 09 M1000 and noticed some chunks missing out of the belt:mad:So I pulled the belt and found even more damage on the back of the belt. The sled has Zero miles on it and I already need to replace the belt. Is there any possibility that this would be covered by warranty or am I screwed? The damage is on the inside and outside of the belt and its bad enough that I'm sure it will cause slippageand vibration. It looks like its been cut with something sharp.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I would take the whole sled to the dealer so they could see there was no time on it. If they won't warranty it, then give Cat a call and see what they will do. Check to make sure that there isn't somthing that came loose and can fall down into the belt.

J
Nov 26, 2007
Stayton, Oregon
I was looking around my 09 M1000 and noticed some chunks missing out of the belt:mad:So I pulled the belt and found even more damage on the back of the belt. The sled has Zero miles on it and I already need to replace the belt. Is there any possibility that this would be covered by warranty or am I screwed? The damage is on the inside and outside of the belt and its bad enough that I'm sure it will cause slippageand vibration. It looks like its been cut with something sharp.

I wonder if someone wanted to hook their buddy up with a brand new belt and decided to swap for the one off of your sled. Does the belt look used in any other way??

rockdog2112

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2008
Cheyenne,Wy USA
I bought an o8 M8 in June. It also has zero miles. After reading your post, I went to look at mine. I didn't take it off, but it looks ok. I hope you give your dealer an ear full. I guess if they're worth a damn, they'll own up to it. I would think it would be under warranty. Good luck. Let everyone know how it played out.

I plan on talking with the dealer, the messed up part is that even if it did have miles I cant see how you could do this to a belt I've seen a belt that was ruined by operator error, they just have marks on the side. This one is actually missing some small pieces. I'll try to get some pics up in the morning. And talk to the dealer on Monday.

S

SilverGriz

Oct 22, 2004
Hayden, ID
Take it off and take it back. This should be a no brainer for your dealer. Explain the situation and be nice. Don't fly off the handle and make accusations unless they give you chit about it.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Sounds like someone forgot to install the belt all the way and started the motor with the belt hanging on the primary. I have seen that take chunks out of brand new belts!

C
Mar 19, 2009
Nice and easy

Been in the sled game a long time folks and the guy who said be nice about it is right. I'm sure if you approach them and tell your side of the story calm and collective, no dealer would have a problem. Go fly off the handle at them and see how far it gets you, then you'll be on here whining like half these clowns. Seriously though approach them like you would like to be, if rolls were reversed and your relationship with your dealer will never suffer.
No belts are warrenty but an install or pdi mishap is arguable, be nice.

D
Nov 28, 2007
I would be interested in seeing close up pictures of the sides of the belt. When the off set is off the angles will wear totaly different from side to side. You will see it shiny near the bottom of the one side and shiny near the top of the other side.

Off set is a big deal for cat guys that are use to letting the secondary float.

Don.

C
Feb 1, 2008
Are the missing chunks still in the belly pan? If they are then my guess is that it happened on that sled whether the dealer put it on wrong or it was run with the brake on. If no chunks then you possibly got screwed by someone trying to save a buck for themselves by not buying a new belt. Good luck and as others said be friendly.:beer;

I don't have pictures of the belt but I can tell you the damage had to be either from using something to pry it on or as stated before they didn't have it all the way on the secondary and started the sled. Its just one of the many problems I have had with the sled. I do just about have it set up now, too bad the season is just about over.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I had the same thing happen on my 09 m8 picked it up from the dealer got home and took the belt off and found this. The dealer is going to give me a new belt.

bad cat belt 003.jpg bad cat belt 001.jpg bad cat belt 004.jpg

Premium Features