• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Brand Bashing Yamaha Sleds

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Says the guy who lives in front of multiple computer screens LOL

Says the free loading sob. Christopher makes a positive contribution at least. You, your a waste of skin buddy. Still haven't pulled your head out of your arse and realized nobody likes you and your crappy comments. Get a clue would ya.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
And you are trying to say that all Yamaha apex engines are junk.
Seriously....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

No....what I am saying is that my Yamaha came back on a rope more times than my friends cats and skidoos. I spent more money to keep mine rideable than anyone else in my group. Sometimes you got to take the blinders off Chris...........

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Seriously, I am VERY surprised to hear it.
I am running 4 Yamaha sleds right now, with a 5th on the way.
And in all honesty I have had almost no issues at all that were not 100% the result of some modification I made with aftermarket products.
In the OEM configuration, they have been wildly dependable.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Seriously, I am VERY surprised to hear it.
I am running 4 Yamaha sleds right now, with a 5th on the way.
And in all honesty I have had almost no issues at all that were not 100% the result of some modification I made with aftermarket products.
In the OEM configuration, they have been wildly dependable.

Mine was a 100% stock engine with the rollover valve installed, oil and filter changed every year 0-30 mobile 1 with zddp additive. But it wasn't only that, it was the gage pod that busts off if you look at it wrong, the front end bushings that are shot in 1000 miles, steering post bushings that are junk in 500 miles, multiple fuel pump relays, oil that runs out if the sled tips in its side, nonfunctioning handlebar warmers, factory track that sheds lugs like its going out of style, oil tank that cracks out and drools oil. Not my idea of being reliable.......... Part of the reason you say they are "widely dependable" is because there aren't any out there. Ive rode the Snowies and the Horns for a long time and typically I was the only one unloading a 4 stroke.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
No argument, 4 strokes are always rare in the mountains.
I SELDOM come across another 4 stroke in island park.
The 2 smokes still completely own the mountain segment.
But your experience kinda stands out from common comments of other Apex owners here on SW.
Though the dry sump roll over issue is an absolute flaw in design.

Why they never corrected that is beyond me.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
No....what I am saying is that my Yamaha came back on a rope more times than my friends cats and skidoos. I spent more money to keep mine rideable than anyone else in my group. Sometimes you got to take the blinders off Chris...........

And its the internet where anybody can say anything. I had 37 Polaris snowmobiles and they all blew up! LOL, anybody believe that? I hope not.

Go take a look at the ultralight and experimental plane builders and see how many rx1 and apex engines are in use? Not interested in facts you say? Well....I knew that!

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
No argument, 4 strokes are always rare in the mountains.
I SELDOM come across another 4 stroke in island park.
The 2 smokes still completely own the mountain segment.
But your experience kinda stands out from common comments of other Apex owners here on SW.
Though the dry sump roll over issue is an absolute flaw in design.

Why they never corrected that is beyond me.

Other than the motor blowing up, the problems I had are common to ALL first gen Apexes. One thing I didn't have to replace is the exhaust donuts and head pipes...............

Last edited:

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
And its the internet where anybody can say anything. I had 37 Polaris snowmobiles and they all blew up! LOL, anybody believe that? I hope not.

Go take a look at the ultralight and experimental plane builders and see how many rx1 and apex engines are in use? Not interested in facts you say? Well....I knew that!

Coming from a guy that sits when he rides.....I will that info with a grain of salt.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Coming from a guy that sits when he rides.....I will that info with a grain of salt.

If you get rid of that Doo and buy a proclimb chassis you too can sit most of the time you ride.

I have had 1 Apex and 3 RX1 (still have one of those RX1) Amazing engines but what an ill handling turd. Blew one engine as the previous owner turned it over and ran it without oil, does that count as an unreliable engine? :face-icon-small-hap

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
If you get rid of that Doo and buy a proclimb chassis you too can sit most of the time you ride.

I have had 1 Apex and 3 RX1 (still have one of those RX1) Amazing engines but what an ill handling turd. Blew one engine as the previous owner turned it over and ran it without oil, does that count as an unreliable engine? :face-icon-small-hap

The ability to run upside down and dump the oil is a SERIOUS F UP on Yamahas part..........12 years later and the same thing still happens, cutting edge engineering at work. :tsk:

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
The ability to run upside down and dump the oil is a SERIOUS F UP on Yamahas part..........12 years later and the same thing still happens, cutting edge engineering at work. :tsk:

Yeah we finally agree, they could have at least put the low oil pressure system they put on the Phazer on the more expensive sleds....right?

Just an FYI have rolled Viper a couple of times and didn't puke out the oil but did have to reprime, the Viper has a diff breather system. Still recommend a rollover kit before somebody says something.

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Blew one engine as the previous owner turned it over and ran it without oil,does that count as an unreliable engine? :face-icon-small-hap

Not an unreliable engine but a piss poor design. When trail riding my sled has been known to end up wrong side up. When mountain riding it's a given at some point that it's going to be over far enough/long enough to puke some/all it's oil. Year one - ok I'll give you that one. Year 12 and 3 motor designs (apex, nytro, and phazer) later the same issue is still being talked about on the latest and greatest Yamaha offering. That's pretty much ridiculous by any ones definition. I'm a Yamaha rider until I have reason not to be and have no reason to change but the reality is that while Yamaha makes a great trail sled (not without it's own issues) their mountain lineup has been severely lacking for years. They can be made into a decent sled but it's been up to the owner to make it happen while more often than not the other manufacturers mountain sleds are much more capable out of the box and the needed improvements cost less overall to obtain. A person shouldn't have to dump a pile of cash into a sled in order to be on the same basic playing field as their buddies on a different brand. Is the new viper a step in the right direction? Appears like it. But it still has warts like all the rest of the sleds on the market. To date the perfect sled for everyone hasn't been produced. When it finally is the aftermarket industry will cease to exist and so will these discussion boards. Till then - May the force be with you all:)

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
If you get rid of that Doo and buy a proclimb chassis you too can sit most of the time you ride. :face-icon-small-hap

Just an FYI have rolled Viper a couple of times and didn't puke out the oil but did have to reprime, the Viper has a diff breather system. Still recommend a rollover kit before somebody says something.

Bold above really sheds a light on the differences in opinions on sleds due to riding styles... I seriously have a sled upside down once an hour and rarely sit down until I'm dog tired headed out on a smooth enough trail that lets me.

rmk8000

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2013
saskatchewan canada
Bold above really sheds a light on the differences in opinions on sleds due to riding styles... I seriously have a sled upside down once an hour and rarely sit down until I'm dog tired headed out on a smooth enough trail that lets me.

last winter I climbed a steep hill sitting down, very bad idea! Hit a bump and sled rolled over me and down the hill:redface: I looked like an idiot lol

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
$.02

I find it humorous how sensitive (butthurt) some get over this.
I see it simply as male bonding, we find each other's weaknesses and poke at them a bit to get a reaction, the stronger the reaction the more aggressive the poking.

The same goes for your sled (truck, wife, girlfriend, etc.) of choice, regardless of your choice and rational for such, those that disagree or even agree and just want to bust your balls for a reaction are going to do so. It is just for entertainment value, every manufacture has their Achilles heel which makes them an easy target for this. Yammi is easy with them being the one with the fat chicks and last in sales. Cat for their lack of fit and finish and overall quality and workable setup in recent years not to mention the clothing line and those color choices. Skidoo for all their gimmicks and again pretty gay color choices. Polaris for their perceived engine and chassis weaknesses.

Really no different from me flicking you a little crap because your sticking it to the town slut or whatever the jab at the moment happens to be.

If your comfortable with your choice, great, defend it! To those that disagree it is free entertainment. We are willing to defend our choices as well, for your entertainment value. I think most, regardless of which brand/s they support, respectfully disagree with the rest, until that manufacture delivers a product that does not have the weaknesses he or she is opposed to.

The Mountain segment of sled design has not kept pace with what the consumer wants the sled to be able to do; regardless of brand, IMO. I base my sleds off of the Polaris PRO geometry because it is the closest of the four for what want to do with it. I'm looking more for a "trials bike"; ultra lightweight (under 400 #'s fueled and ready to ride) razor precision handling, able to stick an impossible line from one obstacle to the next. Able to look certain death in the face and laugh, kind of riding. Flawless clutching, HP to me means little (as I'm at sealevel to ~6K). Even the stock PRO RMK is 100#'s too heavy IMO.

Nothing is Sacred, ALL warranties are BS, engineers don't know sh!t, and I can build it better than the big 4!
But can you build millions of them?:face-icon-small-con

I will only comment from a Minnesotans point of view. Here 60+ years ago 3 guys like yourself were also building things in their shop. That's how Polaris came about. Then of course Arctic Cat was soon to follow, and the rest is history. If it wasn't for back yard mechanics like yourself this forum would not exist. Brand loyalty comes up here all the time and I will say I am guilty of that. For me, and I say for me, I buy Polaris because it's made here in the USA. Anyone who has lost their home, or had to relocate, or got divorced because they lost their job due to imports may feel the same way. LH, you bring up an excellent point about poking fun. That's all it is, poking fun. In my world I call it construction humor because that's the field I am in. Right or wrong. We all do it. It's who we are.:face-icon-small-hap

http://www.kare11.com/story/news/lo...4/02/09/polaris-david-johnson-roseau/5230895/

Premium Features