• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker box failure

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
Sled: '05 M7 162" with RKT M8 kit and RKT head w/ sea level domes
Problem: Intermittantly cuts out and dies

I put a 3" riser on my sled last fall along with a bunch of other work and was certain that I had an electrical short or stretched wire somewhere on my sled killing the engine. I found a couple loose connections, fixed them and that didn't help. Then it dawned on me and my riding buddies that maybe its a fuel problem acting like an electrical problem so just for the hell of it, I removed the boondocker box. Problem solved!

Now that I am running without adding fuel to my big bore on the stock '06 map, I am a little uneasy about running my sled real hard. I do have EGT's to keep track of temps and the temps haven't changed much at all since before the box was removed, plugs are chocolate brown. I was only adding a touch of fuel on the top and mid range and Kelsey at RKT claims that he has run this motor hard with nothing but zeros on the box. So far, at 0 to 2500 ft, I concurr.

1. Has anybody else had this problem with their boony box? What is the right course to fix it, call up Boondockers and send it back to them to test it?

Recently my 2 window Digatron has been acting really weird. It will turn on/off on its own, flash lights, flash the same numbers over and over, flash different numbers over and over, etc. I don't think this problem is related to my boondocker box and I made sure I had a good ground connection. I think there is a bad connection in the hot wire at the digitron since it feels loose and at one point it came unhooked by itself.

2. Is this a common problem? Is it more likely to be the wire side of the connection or inside the case of the digitron? Suggestions on troubleshooting it?
Any help appreciated

L

lynxer292b

Jan 19, 2009
It is evident that the Boondocker box has failed, but now that you have found the damage what caused it is the question. If just your box was damaged I would blame the box for possibly getting moisture inside or something like that, but when you are having electrical issues with your digitron as well it makes me fee like there is an electrical problem somewhere. I would think a voltage regulator would cause other problems like headlights blowing out and stuff like that, but there has got to be some kind of electrical issue in your sled. It could be a bad ground or maybe a short somewhere. Make sure to get rid of any questionable wiring and get a hold of boondocker for a new box.

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
You bring up a good point lynxer, and it very well could be an electrical issue that caused the failure. I mounted my boony box in a different location this year and I think that the wires coming out of the box may have gotten kinked and caused a connection to come loose, pinched wire, etc. My digitron started acting up after I removed my boondocker box and I didn't touch anything with the digitron this last fall other than reinstalling the probes into the Y pipe. What mean by "didn't touch" is didn't reroute wiring, where unit is mounted, etc. so I am thinking it is the connection of the hot wire at the digitron the way the screen is acting.

Is F Bomb still here on the forums and availible to answer questions? I think he is a dealer for digitron and know he is a pretty good resource for questions about their products. I think i'm going to call/email him after I look at my user's manual first.

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
No, I didn't notice any errors on the display. Sled would just die, and then it would fire right back up and be fine. The display would read the AC serial no. just like it always does. If there is say an "injector error", would it show up automatically, or would I have to hit a button to get to the main menu for it to be displayed?

Y

y0han

Dec 10, 2007
Boliden, Sweden
Yup, it will show up automatically. In case you should kill the ignition without clearing the error, it would show a "Previous injector error"-message when you start the sled again.

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
I guess just because I didn't see an error doesn't mean there isn't one. Could it have cleared itself when powered back up? If there was an error, would it still display an error now that it is off the sled and powered by a 9 volt battery? I'll power it up with a 9 volt tonight to see what it does...

Premium Features