• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

blown belt, 09 m8. anyone else

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
Blew a belt today.09 m8 320 miles on sled. running down road about 65. the hole outside peeled off. Anyone else blow one with this low of miles on sled.belt?

anyone running a different belt? better belt?
thanks

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
I have 3600+ miles on my M8, I put over a 1000 miles on 2 belts and still have them. I got a new belt from the dealer the other day ( just thought I would change the belt because of the miles on the current one). After 130 Miles the belt blew the outside layer off. I took it back to the dealer and told him what happened, he said it was my sleds fault and to take a hike. So I put the old belt back on with over thousand miles on it and rode over 200 miles with it in the last week. :rolleyes:

I think there maybe some poor manufactured belts out there.

JasonAK

D
Sep 3, 2008
just turned 900 miles on mine now and i've blown 2. this last one was boondocking across a lake and chopped a nut and BOOM! over the bars. the time before that was on the trail doin about 60 mph same as you. gonna invest in more venting for that thing thats for true!

C
Feb 1, 2008
Poor belt design!!

I have 3600+ miles on my M8, I put over a 1000 miles on 2 belts and still have them. I got a new belt from the dealer the other day ( just thought I would change the belt because of the miles on the current one). After 130 Miles the belt blew the outside layer off. I took it back to the dealer and told him what happened, he said it was my sleds fault and to take a hike. So I put the old belt back on with over thousand miles on it and rode over 200 miles with it in the last week. :rolleyes:

I think there maybe some poor manufactured belts out there.

JasonAK

I agree with the poorly manufactured belt business. I believe that all of the venting and deflection and offset being correct are good BUT even when all of these are good there ARE MANY belts being blown out there. The cords stick out of the side of the belt slightly more than other belts, i.e. Ski-Doo, Polaris and Yamaha- and when you grab a cord it is VERY EASY to unwind the cord out of the belt. POOR VULCANIZATION MAYBE!! POOR DESIGN??? Stock 800 sleds blowing belts trail riding IS RIDICULOUS!! DANGEROUS?? YOU BET!! IS AC LOOKING AT A LAWSUIT BECAUSE SOMEONE BLOWS A NEW BELT ON A STOCK SLED WHILE TRAIL RIDING AND GETS KILLED BECAUSE THE BELT CORDS GET WRAPPED UP IN THE SECONDARY AND LOCKS THE ENGINE AT 40-50-60 OR 70 PLUS MPH??? MAYBE THEY ARE JUST KEEPING THEIR FINGERS CROSSED AND THEY MIGHT JUST GET AWAY WITH IT, BUT THEN IT MIGHT JUST BITE THEM IN THEIR BACK SIDE SOME DAY.COME ON CAT-GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER:confused::mad:

S
Mar 1, 2009
ur lucky i was getting 100 miles to a belt and everytime they popped i had her to the pin and was doing around 90mph threw a field,there fun to get all the strings out that are in the clutches haha NOT

F
Nov 30, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I had stopped in the dealer for a belt mid season. They brought a belt from the back-room that had a loose cord for about 3" on one side. I asked for a different belt and the guy brought out 10 more belts. They all looked less than perfect. The cords were uneven on every single belt. I was surprised how close to the outside the cords were at some point on every belt. None of the belts had the cords completely covered. I questioned the guy about this and he said that is just the way that belts are made. He explained that they are made as one big belt and then cut down to the specific width required. I find this hard to believe. We used so many different types of belts on other equipment that never had cords showing on the side.

C
Feb 1, 2008
Poor Quality Belts

i had stopped in the dealer for a belt mid season. They brought a belt from the back-room that had a loose cord for about 3" on one side. I asked for a different belt and the guy brought out 10 more belts. They all looked less than perfect. The cords were uneven on every single belt. I was surprised how close to the outside the cords were at some point on every belt. None of the belts had the cords completely covered. I questioned the guy about this and he said that is just the way that belts are made. He explained that they are made as one big belt and then cut down to the specific width required. I find this hard to believe. We used so many different types of belts on other equipment that never had cords showing on the side.

exactly!!

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
09 M8 SP 153

Blew the first belt at about 100 miles. Went about 500 miles on a used belt then blew that one racing on a lake, 600ft or so. I then put on another used belt and blew it 15min later doing the same thing.

Seems to me these longtracks don't like to held wide open unless your in powder with no load on the track? This same thing happens with my M1200. I can boondock all day long, on and off the throttle, but as soon as I hold it wide open for a long stretch, Bye, Bye belt!

bcsnowdog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
frank mountain bc
i picked up a couple of 046 cat belts last week and cord is not hanging out like previous ones,looked way better than the belts i had bought earlier.

S
Dec 6, 2007
same here had 1000 km on my origional 046 and installed a new one broke it in nice and my first pull boom pieces everywere put the old one on and rode 3 days of hill climbing and still ok

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
600+ miles on my original 046 belt with a few 100+ mph runs in there before i got venting and swapped tracks, so far it looks just like new!

Premium Features