• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blowing Belts Please Help 04 800 RMK Vertical Edge 159

pshirek

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2012
ND
My brother has an 04 800 RMK Vertical Edge 159 that is an absolute beast, but we've been having some issues with belt wear. Now this time he let me bring it up to the lake so friends could ride and now its my fault.

Could there be something causing belt to blow prematurely? I'm thinking the belts are not lasting as long as they should (or at least as long as the other sleds I ride with). They are lasting about 400-500 miles, and they are the polaris brand belts that are supposed to go with this sled. This last one took out the coolant hose too which was quite the mess. I forgot the belt at the cabin to show pics, but this one split right down the middle the long way if it makes a difference the way they brake.

Thanks,
Phil

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Check for a broken left front motor mount. Also make sure the stop at the rear left corner of the motor is adjusted correctly and in good condition. Finally check clutch alignment and off set. Have the clutches been service lately? If not you may have something binding.
Any of those things can cause belt failure. After you get the problem fixed, switch to the 115 belt. They are pricey but last forever.

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
+1 on the obligitory LH motor mount...My 800 blew belts every other ride when my friend owned it. replaced motor mounts and adjusted snubbers and I have yet to blow a belt with it...

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Install a steeper helix in it as well, the stocker limits the shifting too much and binds it up...

cowboyrmk

Lifetime Membership
Apr 28, 2013
Most likely clutch misalignment due to bad mounts. Added the slp torque arm and stops to keep the engine tight on mine. Also put the race belt on from Polaris and have been running it for the last four seasons and no problems with belt wear. Plus I have a camoplast extreme 162* 16* 3 inch on the sled.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
+1 for a floating sec, and alignment. -1 for a steeper helix. can drop a tooth on top gear if it not already geared down too.

Premium Features