• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best RMK for Women Beginner?

B

braapin

Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Me and my wife to be are looking at a 2010 600 RMK or Possibly a 700 RMK 155. I cant decide which would be a better track length for a beginner - 144 or 155. I am thinking the 144 would be lighter and easier to handle, but the 155 might get her out of more jams in deep snow with the better flotation. I am leaning towards the 600 motor right now because of price and the fact that I just don't think she needs that much motor yet. She is smaller at around 120 lbs. I was wondering if anybody has had experience with buying either of these and if they had any regrets or opinions. Any input would be great. Thanks.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Me and my wife to be are looking at a 2010 600 RMK or Possibly a 700 RMK 155. I cant decide which would be a better track length for a beginner - 144 or 155. I am thinking the 144 would be lighter and easier to handle, but the 155 might get her out of more jams in deep snow with the better flotation. I am leaning towards the 600 motor right now because of price and the fact that I just don't think she needs that much motor yet. She is smaller at around 120 lbs. I was wondering if anybody has had experience with buying either of these and if they had any regrets or opinions. Any input would be great. Thanks.

I would do the 155 track...hard to tell any difference in them other then in deep powder or when launching them at the moon..trail ride the 155 is sweet...as for 6 or 7..I would do the 7(my 17 yr old son rides the 6 155 right now)and as sweet of a sled as it is..it runs out of power quick when things go steep..so if she is an avid powder rider..the 7 works much better(although the 6 with some carls engine work(a 660 or 685 kit) down the road would work as well....best thing to do is find a dealer that will let her demo both sleds and see what she feels best on......

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
My opinion...

The 600 144" will be the easiest to turn and least snappy. I don't know that she would really know the difference in a 600 or 700 anyway. But, if she gets aggressive and wants to go into the fluff, 144" could be harder than 155" because it won't stay up on top as well. The 700 is rock solid and would make a good backup sled for yourself if you needed it. If you get a 2010 600 or 2009 600 155", you get the CFI version. If you get the 2009 144" or older, you get the carb version. The CFI is easier for her to start and she won't have to deal with a choke.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
I don't have experience with the Poo's....but I would say to go with a 155" track over the 144". That's what I started with, and though nice, when learning, one might not be on the throttle as much....so having some extra track length can help to tractor through some stuff instead of getting stuck. :eek: Not getting stuck a whole lot while learning helps one's confidence (though we all get stuck, it just sucks when learning)

I was set on a 600 when I picked out my sled in '03. A few years ago, we put a 153x.225 under it......HUGE difference from the 144x2!! :D That's as long as I want to go. Now I just wish I had more power (and have wished that for awhile). Your wife sounds to be about my size.

Getting enough sled to last her awhile is a good thing. It's also good to have the power when needed to get out of some oops moments. :)

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO

Aside from the 1999 700 RMK i have for sale ;)

I don't think you can go wrong with a 700 155" ... that is about as versatile of a sled as is on the market today. Not too big, not too small, just right for %90 of the sledding population.

As far as "that much motor" ... when you consider that that 600, 700 and 800 RMK's are all based off the same block and are thusly very close in weight, it's more of a price issue. It's pretty easy to out grow a 600 sled IMO .... My parents have two 600 RMK's with the 144" track and while they are very nice sleds, I think anyone who takes riding off-trail even remotley seriously is gonna wish they had more power before too much longer.

B

braapin

Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Yeah tough call, but I think I have my mind made up on a 600, it's just which track length to go with. I think it will come down to what sled I come across that I can get a better deal on.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Yeah tough call, but I think I have my mind made up on a 600, it's just which track length to go with. I think it will come down to what sled I come across that I can get a better deal on.

I know what ya mean ... that's why i went M8 instead of M10 LOL ....

Premium Features