• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bent Shock

B
Dec 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Its porbley next to impossible to bend the shaft straight. You most likely will still have a slight bend in it. This will cause all the seals to go. Best bet is to get a new shaft.

I agree. Just rebuild the shock with a new shaft. Shouldnt be more the $100 to rebuild and thats still cheaper than a new shock. Plus Im sure that shock could use some tlc if its still the stock on on your 05.

P
Dec 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
ride the rest of the season unless it bottoms out too hard or rough too often at full stroke, therefore possibly ruining other parts internally, or the outer wiper. Then yeah, 50 bucks for a shaft, 50 for rebuild. no biggie.

D

dp2826

Dec 31, 2007
NW Iowa
put it in a press and straighten it. if its at the very top the seals will most likely never reach that far. i did this to one of mine and it worked very well.

R

richardsb014

Nov 28, 2007
Wyoming
If you can get through the season like it is, I would recommend sending it to Fox for rebuild. I bent one this year, and one last year. Sent them both in at the same time (had loaners on my sled) and Fox replaced both shock rods, all the seals, and one of the bodies. Cost me a total of $270. That's just a tad bit more then one new shock.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
I straitened the shaft on my m7 shocks 3 times. Some patience with a vice and some good soffeners, and it came out awesome! The last time, it had two bends, one in the shaft, and one right up at the eye, could never get that one back to good tho. It can be done, especially to get ya through.

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Ya thinking im just going to straighten it with the press and see what happens. Thanks all

These shocks seem to bend close to the mounting eye where yours bent. I have bent mine 3 times over the past e years and I have just straightened it out. seems to work just fine and have had no leaks. If the bend is in the area furthest from the shock body it will be fine. I have the good fortune to have access to a nice air/hyd. press but a sturdy vice will do. I would not recommend using heat to assist the process as it can damage the wiper and then it needs to be rebuilt.

Premium Features