• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Be careful when useing torch to burn off freyed bits on powerclaw track!!!

B
Jan 20, 2009
K went to just use a hand held torch to burn off the little freyed bits on my powerclaw track. Just touched the freyed bits then moved on, didn't hold the torch on one spot for long at all. finished then went to work on my atv. My mom came and got me and said my sled was smoking. I thought she was crazy and it was just steem from the cooler but I check anyway.

Looked underneath the sled to see FLAMES!!!! ya lucky my dad had a fire extingusher in his shop. Sleds fine but now I need a new track. Burnt a hole in the track. Now I need a new track.

Cant understand how this happend. Sled must have stored heat somehow or somtihng. So Just a warning BE CAREFUL!!!!!!

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
I've done the same thing except i used a gloved hand to make sure the freys didn't smolder like i'm assuming yours did. Sucks this happened! But thanks for posting so others don't make the same mistake. I don't know if you've looked but there are a few 153 takoffs for sale in the swap portion of the 4um. Good luck!

B
Jan 20, 2009
after havin the P-claw I wont go to anything else. haha I was either thinkin 156 camo extreme or another P-claw. After claming down and looking at my track it still might be usable.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
i was doin the same thing to my track the other day and noticed there was a few spots that would flame up pretty good. got to looking and noticed it was little spots with excess rubber flaps where the rubber squeezed out of the mold or whatever. maybe you hit one of them spots and didn't notice it, either way it sucks you burned up your track.

its an expensive bit to fook up, i know the feeling last monday i pulled a stupid stunt and instead of pulling the ramp out i figured i could jump off the bank and on to the trailor. the jump turned out fine and landed square but i was going a bit fast and locked up the brakes to not slide off the front and hit the truck and the rear slid over and the track caught the ski bar for one of the rear sleds and ripped about 1/2 or 3/4 inch rip in my PC that i just bought about a month ago. pissed me off at myself, i just hope it wont tear anymore as i cant afford a new track and after havin the PC i don't want to go back to the stock challenger.

C
Dec 11, 2007
St.Regis MT
Fire safety!

Good thing your dad had a fire extinguisher! Every home and especially garage/shops needs a good fire extinguisher. Its your first line of defence in case the unexpected actually happens. I have a water can that i can refill myself and air up,as well as the chemical powder type.I even have a small one that I carry in my pickup in case of a vehicle fire.
Thanks for posting Braaap.....good lesson here for everyone.And don't buy one then forget about it.The dry powder type have to be serviced.They are under pressure and over time will cake up and clog the siphon tube.

Premium Features