• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BDX Diamond Drive with reverse

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Exactaly!!!!!!!.. wish they would change that.. but then people wouldnt be getting that extra pound off for a mod. which they could have lost by taking a heathly deposit in the morning.. :eek:

you guys don't get the mod...

it looses close to 12lbs of rotating mass first off and is MUCH stronger than the stock unit. BDX rates their DD to 350hp. The stock one WITH reverse is good for about 1500 miles at stock HP levels. it's a POS and should be recalled IMHO.

NOW - if you want to strengthen your stock unit, just add BDX gears do it for $230 and it will be stronger and you can gear down at the same time. if you've got a 1000 i recommened 56/64s, M8 maybe one lower to 55/65s...

and snow_knight, i'd love to hear about you taking 12lbs dump. ;)

mountain_tamer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Rimbey, Alberta
Because they offer different gears for the diamond drive so those "Reverse Xtreme Gear Selection" will be for the diamond drives with reverse.

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
you guys don't get the mod...

it looses close to 12lbs of rotating mass first off and is MUCH stronger than the stock unit. BDX rates their DD to 350hp. The stock one WITH reverse is good for about 1500 miles at stock HP levels. it's a POS and should be recalled IMHO.

NOW - if you want to strengthen your stock unit, just add BDX gears do it for $230 and it will be stronger and you can gear down at the same time. if you've got a 1000 i recommened 56/64s, M8 maybe one lower to 55/65s...

and snow_knight, i'd love to hear about you taking 12lbs dump. ;)

No actually I do get the mod.. and fully understand the physics of rotating mass.. however.. I've been running the DD with different gears in it for almost 1k miles with around 300h.p.. and havent had 1 problem with it...I understand that it is more efficient at getting the h.p. to the ground also.. just cant get over the fact of no reverse.. :eek:Its a personally preference... Another plus to having electric reverse..

ohh... 12lbs.. you have never been to a bar with all you can eat wings and all you can drink beer for $10... :eek:.. hahah ;)

C

cobaltpilot

Nov 26, 2007
BC
12lbs of rotating mass is HUGE. Additionally you get a much stronger drive unit, and you lose the main culprit that causes water leaks into the stock mech reverse drive unit. BONUS.

Here's a snippet from AVID's web page discussing static vs. rotational mass;
_________
An old rule of thumb is that every pound of rotating mass you remove is equal to reducing your sled’s gross weight by 7 pounds. Putting a 5-6 pound lighter track on your sled will increase track speed.
_________

So that 12lbs of rotational mass works out to an effective difference of approx. 84lbs static mass.

Enjoy your wings. Alot of wings.

Last edited:
C

cowkiller

Nov 26, 2007
Eugene Or.
I do not belive all of the 12Lbs is all rotating mass correct me if I am wrong. But....
some of the extra weight comes from the motor that kicks the lever or fork that engages reverse. I understand the gears are different but I do not belive all 12lbs. is rotating.
I am sure if I am not correct someone here will set me straight. I just remember yanking that little bugger out when the wifes sled screwed up early 07. It looks like a small starter motor. again I am not 100% sure I am remembering correctly

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
cowkiller, don't let your old age fool ya;) your abosolutley correct, the reverse motor has got to be close to half the weight savings of the bdx unit. sure the rest is getting rid of the planetary. have never seen the inside of the bdx unit but would assume:eek: the bdx unit is just the same diamond drive with thier gears with the planetary removed... if i'm wrong i know someone on here will correct me:) also i got 4,003 miles out of mine, which i atttribute to almost every ride oil changes. my engine is totally stock... uh-oh almost forgot the bdx has a dipstick also! sure it is MUCH stronger than the stocker since the planetary is the weekest point by far...

C

cowkiller

Nov 26, 2007
Eugene Or.
This OLD AGE Thing is Getting out of hand! twice yesterday at work and I had to talk the waitress out of the senior dicount at lunch!

cowkiller, don't let your old age fool ya;) your abosolutley correct, the reverse motor has got to be close to half the weight savings of the bdx unit. sure the rest is getting rid of the planetary. have never seen the inside of the bdx unit but would assume:eek: the bdx unit is just the same diamond drive with thier gears with the planetary removed... if i'm wrong i know someone on here will correct me:) also i got 4,003 miles out of mine, which i atttribute to almost every ride oil changes. my engine is totally stock... uh-oh almost forgot the bdx has a dipstick also! sure it is MUCH stronger than the stocker since the planetary is the weekest point by far...

C

cobaltpilot

Nov 26, 2007
BC
I do not belive all of the 12Lbs is all rotating mass correct me if I am wrong. But....
some of the extra weight comes from the motor that kicks the lever or fork that engages reverse. I understand the gears are different but I do not belive all 12lbs. is rotating.
I am sure if I am not correct someone here will set me straight. I just remember yanking that little bugger out when the wifes sled screwed up early 07. It looks like a small starter motor. again I am not 100% sure I am remembering correctly

That's a good point and makes sense for sure.

It would be interesting to weigh the DD lite gears and driveshaft vs. the stock gears and shaft.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
I would say 8lbs of of rotating mass and 4lbs of servo motor. Sorry i didn't clarify that before. regardless its a 12lbs weight loss and 8+/- is rotating mass it removses the big drum and extra parts inside the DD unit. It still has planetary gears though - that's how DD work.

Jul 11, 2001
Waconia, MN
I would say 8lbs of of rotating mass and 4lbs of servo motor. Sorry i didn't clarify that before. regardless its a 12lbs weight loss and 8+/- is rotating mass it removses the big drum and extra parts inside the DD unit. It still has planetary gears though - that's how DD work.

Correct, The BDX lite unit just has stronger and lighter gears with different casting for the case.

Premium Features