• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

bca mtn pro vest - Any real customer reviews

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I'm used to my tekvest being inside my coat and accessing those pockets, but those pockets on the vest are perfect for me.

The outer shell of those pockets is Lycra or something. It's stretchy.

If you are on the fence, you HAVE to check it out in person.
Adjust the side buckles and front buckle... Get it dialed in the showroom.

Put a couple items, shovel, probe couple bottles of water. Spare gloves.

You'll see.

If you are used to a tekvest and backpack together, I predict you'll like this.

You can't put a lot in it. Les than a Float Throttle 22. But for me, I'm done with the days of a 25 pound pack. I'm embracing more of a minimalist backpack. My back and spine thanks my.

Last edited:

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I'm used to my tekvest being inside my coat, but those pockets are perfect.

The other shell of those pockets is Lycra or something. It's stretchy.

If you are on the fence, you HAVE to check it out in person.
Adjust the side buckles and front buckle... Get it dialed in the showroom.

Put a couple items, shovel, probe couple bottles of water. Spare gloves.

You'll see.

If you are used to a tekvest and backpack together, I predict you'll like this.

You can't put a lot in it. Les than a Float Throttle 22. But for me, I'm done with the days of a 25 pound pack. I'm embracing more of a minimalist backpack. My back and spine thanks my.

I've been reducing the amount of .......crap in the pack every year and I'm down to a Ortovox Base 20 ABS pack with a little room to spare. So, I think It would have enough storage.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
We have had guys over 6'4" and over 250 pounds use the vest with no problem. Height range we have fit varies from 5'5" up to 6'5". Has plenty of overlap in the side panels to fit different sized people. Find it fits about 80% of the riders. Designed for more of an athletic build. If you have a big belly, a pack may work better. Try it on.

Mike Duffy

don't get all defensive Mikey, It is designed around small people like you, then the straps made longer to accommodate real men, that is a compromise, not a design, a compromise plain and simple, I am 6'2 ft 240 and don't have big belly but I do have a middle age belly and it definitely wants to ride/push up some, a second larger size would be better than one size fits some, I wore it yesterday and it is comfortable when standing and light BUT it could be more comfortable when sitting/bending, jams up into throat when you bend over to work on sled.

it did feel very light when riding, much better than any pack I have worn

storage in the pack is fine, could use a few more small item pockets but generally its a just the right size.

the front of vest could certainly use some more versatile pockets, the beacon pocket is fine but why not add a few deeper pockets for other stuff

I think I will keep it for a few rides and see if I can fix the ridding up issue, definitely could have made the neck area bigger

I want this to work, I love the idea, just the execution missed a little, any one size fits most is always a misfire in my book :juggle::juggle:

Just noticed that real Tekvests come in 6 sizes hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

http://www.tekrider.com/en/ps_04.html

Last edited:
R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Is there room to stash the link mic behind the zipper where it comes out? We had some freezing problems last year with them.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Is there room to stash the link mic behind the zipper where it comes out? We had some freezing problems last year with them.

Not really, its very tight there, barely enough room to put bag trigger in and close zipper, all the pockets on the front except beacon pocket are really just a zipper on the shell with no real room

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
I'm waffling on this one lol. I've been wearing the Snowpulse vest for 3 years. The Snowpulse fits poorly. It REALLY wants to ride up in front unless you wear it TIGHT. It is hot, I run hot anyway. The protection is not enough to really protect your ribs. I broke a rib clean thru 2 seasons ago and tore up the muscles between the ribs. I had a padded shirt under the Snowpulse too. Long painful recovery. Started wearing a TEK vest under the SP vest and it was too hot.
Likes on the BCA. The fit is awesome, I am 6'4' 245, no belly lol, and it feels great at the snow show. Design is clean and lean, just enough room for what you should carry on your back. I use the BCA radios and love them and these vests are set up will for them.
Dislikes. It is a vest and will be warm. The padding/armor is insufficient, way better design than the Snowpulse but still lacking. I don't like my beacon exposed on the front of the vest, I've smashed other stuff in front pockets and one hard hit on the bars and a $300 beacon and a day of riding are done. Beacons are pretty tough but that's a fail. I always carry my beacon in the thigh zip up pocket of my Klim pants so thats not a deal breaker. Or carry it in a harness under the vest.
I am buying new packs/vests for my boys and I this year. I think my son is going to use the BCA vest. My other boy and I are going with packs.

Interesting comment in red... Was ready to drop the coin on one but I just talked to a riding buddy and he said the same... Any others feel this way? I'm used to a klim tek vest under my outer layer. Is it lacking compared to that? Gonna have to check one out in person before I decide.

B

Bergie

Apr 28, 2013
Omaha,NE
vest

I'll be rocking one this season as well... haven't taken out yet thou

I like the all in one features.

BCA makes some awesome products.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I've got 1500 miles so far this season with the vest.

Bought it without trying it on. Was a little worried the first time I wore it (when it arrived-- not actually riding) it felt like it would ride up on my throat.

My only complaint is that the side straps seem to loosen a bit as I ride during the day -- not a big deal, I just pull them snug occasionally. I keep my shovel, probe, camelback, spare gloves and fleece inside.

I'm a hair over 6' about 175 lbs (not a real man I guess:face-icon-small-con)

It does ride up a little if I sit down-- so I don't ride sitting down-- I did catch the front on the mountain strap a couple of times when I first started riding with it and didn't have the side straps cinched down.

I run hot, rarely ever wear more than a thermal shirt on under my uninsulated Klim jackets. One jacket the chest vents are just wide enough to position outside vest (good thing) the other jacket has chest vents AND armpit vents (even better)

Way lighter feeling than a backpack airbag system when I wear it-- better weight distribution.

I'm stoked on it.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
The more miles I get, the happier I am with it.

I've got 1500 miles so far this season with the vest.

Bought it without trying it on. Was a little worried the first time I wore it (when it arrived-- not actually riding) it felt like it would ride up on my throat.

My only complaint is that the side straps seem to loosen a bit as I ride during the day -- not a big deal, I just pull them snug occasionally. I keep my shovel, probe, camelback, spare gloves and fleece inside.

I'm a hair over 6' about 175 lbs (not a real man I guess:face-icon-small-con)

It does ride up a little if I sit down-- so I don't ride sitting down-- I did catch the front on the mountain strap a couple of times when I first started riding with it and didn't have the side straps cinched down.

I run hot, rarely ever wear more than a thermal shirt on under my uninsulated Klim jackets. One jacket the chest vents are just wide enough to position outside vest (good thing) the other jacket has chest vents AND armpit vents (even better)

Way lighter feeling than a backpack airbag system when I wear it-- better weight distribution.

I'm stoked on it.

2litre

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Got mine with the snowcheck, best snowcheck present ever!!! Have a couple trips on it now and will never ride without it again. Probably remove the bottle and wear it at home in the flatlands as well. I am 6'3" and 275 and no issues (fits over my poppa ponch ok) just important to adjust before you ride. I haven't found the external shovel add on yet, but that would be nice to have. My tunnel bad has a easy access shovel storage so no biggie. Protection is excellent.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
The Tekvest was designed for racing and designed for the impacts of racing. The Float MtnPro vest is designed for mountain riding. The Float MtnPro is better ventilated, more flexible and lighter. It's not as thick as the Tekvest and has slightly less protection due to the fact the plastic is not as thick. Tekvest is an excellent product, the BCA Float MtnPro vest was designed for mountain riding and does not pass ISR regulations for racing. One big advantage to the MtnPro vest is comfort and not having to put on multiple layers of transceiver harness, jacket, protective vest, airbag pack and radio. The vest holds transceiver, radio, airbag and has storage for essential avalanche and survival gear.
I have hit hard with the MtnPro vest, bounced over the bars a few times and slammed the handlebars and it worked fine. I would suggest trying it on and asking those who ride with it.

Mike Duffy

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Super super super happy with mine. The weight distribution is awesome, for me works so much better then a backpack. BCA really thought this one through. I do have the external shovel pouch. The bag is a little small but I like that, prevents me from packing more in there then is necessary. So far I have not experienced any excess overheating issues; but I do ride with my un-insulted jacket more, which I prefer. I do not zip it up all the way, its very close to the top but leave the zipper down a bit. I get claustrophobic with things around my neck, rarely have the neck part of my jackets zipped up, and have no issues with it riding up on my neck or the zipper falling down (ie opening up) because it's not zipped up all the way. Works great with the BCA link radio and I prefer the beacon pocket vs a harness wrapped around my body. I don't ever see myself going back to a backpack!!!!

E

et3046

Dec 24, 2012
Lake Preston, SD
Check the BCA website. That is where I got mine. $40. I have a tarp shop in town so I took it to her and she sewed it right on. My shovel doesn't fit in it the best though so sometimes it gets a little diagonal with my body if I ride for awhile and don't adjust it.

Got mine with the snowcheck, best snowcheck present ever!!! Have a couple trips on it now and will never ride without it again. Probably remove the bottle and wear it at home in the flatlands as well. I am 6'3" and 275 and no issues (fits over my poppa ponch ok) just important to adjust before you ride. I haven't found the external shovel add on yet, but that would be nice to have. My tunnel bad has a easy access shovel storage so no biggie. Protection is excellent.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
My zipper drops a bit when I ride, but not enough to concern me. It's only about 2 inches. BUT, I sure wouldn't want that to be an issue in an avy situation that allows my vest to come off.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I got to try out the one that my dad got with his snowcheck last weekend. Way more comfortable than a pack! I didn't have any tightness in my shoulders and upper back at the end of the day like I usually do with a pack. Like others have said there is just enough room in it for the essentials: avy gear, first aid kit, some survival stuff, and a pair of gloves. Good thing I have my tunnel pack. I can see how any more than this in there would start adding weight and pulling the front up towards your neck. I'm 6'2-3" ish and 275lbs with wide shoulders and a pretty deep chest. The vest fits me snug and secure, but not overly tight. The straps have plenty of spare length in them. I don't notice it when I'm riding. It does fit with my Leatt neck brace and I can get the zipper closed all the way, but it naturally wants to go down an inch or two. 3-4 times during the day I did grab the vest in the arm holes and pull it back forward as it was pushing my neck brace back towards my neck. A larger model may help with this. Took one good spill with it when the landing went haywire on a jump and didn't feel anything. Snow was pretty soft though too.

Overall I like it better than a pack. It cuts down the # of layers I have to put on and I think the exterior beacon pouch is great. Keeps it more accessible should you need it and isn't sticking out the center of my chest. Main points of improvement for me: I'd like one size larger vest size to be available and add a goggle holding pocket to the top of the pack part like my old BCA Float 30 has.

R

Rev Kev

Nov 27, 2007
Lapeer Michigan
I like mine, very comfortable, my only complaint...the zipper pull is on the wrong side, very minor. Love the spot for the Link Radio, and with my BCA Tunnel bag, I have all my survival gear.

Srhone

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2016
Hit a rock in Cooke in early dec and handlebars shredded the front of my vest. That being said I had no broke ribs. When I got home bca replaced it free of charge and no questions. I am happy with it and the way they stand behind it

Premium Features