• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Backshift Help

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
What part of the clutching increases/decreases the back shift on a M sled. My M8 with current mods seams to not back shift very fast in comparison to other sleds I ride, including other M's.

Would lower gearing affect the backshift?

Thanks,

Jason

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
Different things will affect backshift mostly controlled by secondary spring and helix angle. You are pretty steep on your helix angle 46* is a steep hill to climb back up. 42/36 would be a better choice. If you have the stock strait 36* helix, try it and see if you like the backshift better.

F
Dec 5, 2001
back country
Now, I'm not sure, but just thinking about this...I think the lower gears could reduce torque feedback from the track to the secondary...? Not that you can't compensate using the usual tricks. If your secondary is adjustable endcap, just add more preload. I also didn't like the 46/36P in my m7...wouldn't hold rev's climbing (which is a backshift problem), but a straight 38 works great, which tells me the helix is too steep at climbing track speeds...but that's my stock m7. Still, might be too much helix for those gears.

John

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
Now, I'm not sure, but just thinking about this...I think the lower gears could reduce torque feedback from the track to the secondary...? Not that you can't compensate using the usual tricks. If your secondary is adjustable endcap, just add more preload. I also didn't like the 46/36P in my m7...wouldn't hold rev's climbing (which is a backshift problem), but a straight 38 works great, which tells me the helix is too steep at climbing track speeds...but that's my stock m7. Still, might be too much helix for those gears.

John

So adding preload to the secondary will provide better backshift? I have and ajustable end cap, right now it is all the way out. That is how the dealer (ASAC) told me to run it.

Jason

F
Dec 5, 2001
back country
Adding preload will increase spring pressure at all shift ratios (pushing secondary sheeves together harder), which will increase backshift force, but should raise shift RPM's also (it also increases secondary belt squeeze, so if you LOOSE RPM's with more spring, you had secondary belt slip with less). If you find yourself adding significant preload, you might consider more secondary spring (goodwin blue/white or blue/orange?).

John

B
Dec 21, 2006
If you have the adjustable secondary spring, put more pressure. I have seen that helix work but not with the lower gearing. Are you running the orange secondary spring or did you change that?

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
If you have the adjustable secondary spring, put more pressure. I have seen that helix work but not with the lower gearing. Are you running the orange secondary spring or did you change that?

I have the Factory orange spring. My brother has the same secondary set up on his M7 (Milled Head, DD full single pipe Set, Reeds). It has a Very fast backshift, Mine almost feels like I coast compaired to his. I never noticed it untill I rode his M7.

Jason

B
Dec 21, 2006
I am running the 40/36P myself and am having really good luck with that. I am running the fixed spring rate(stock on 07's and newer) style

MUZBOMB

Lifetime Membership
Aug 15, 2008
Albeta sometimes Saskatchewan
Buy a RKT secondary kit, they are the anwser i put one on my 07 M8 and it backshifted like crazy. Sno pro green spring in the secondary and orange/white spring in the primary and the RKT helix you will be impressed.:beer;

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
Buy a RKT secondary kit, they are the anwser i put one on my 07 M8 and it backshifted like crazy. Sno pro green spring in the secondary and orange/white spring in the primary and the RKT helix you will be impressed.:beer;

What helix angle are you running with the RKT kit?

Jason

Premium Features