• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BackCountry Cooking

R
Oct 10, 2014
Stupid Question from a stupid Newb:

I have a GGB Mtn can on the new summit. Looks like a great spot to clamp on a muff pot. Havent ever done this but it does sound appealing. Any other better place to put the muffpot than on the can?

For the stupider question:

Frozen HotPockets or Frozen burritos in the muff Pot. How long to they take to cook? Usually start riding around 8am. Putting these in the muff pot at that hour, the would burn correct? Tired of eating cold sandwhiches on the side of hill. Something hot sounds awesome, but don't want to be eating lunch at 930am either.

What time are you guys putting the food in the oven to have it ready?

Jblaze74

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2011
Reno/North Tahoe
When I was running my muffpot on my slp can, it took a good 30-45mins of good pulls to get warm enough to eat sometimes more. I usually would flip it half way though to get an even cook. When I'd ride trails up to the deep pow, i'd put my meals in way earlier. Try an hour before your ready to eat, then adjust from there.

P.S. Hot pockets and burritos are awesome but don't forget these
totinos-pizza-rolls-pepperoni-56843.jpg

Super bomb on cold days

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Yep.

I also carry a Jetboil Sol and a couple Mountain House meals.
Boiling water in less than three mins. They are unreal.

S
Nov 30, 2007
cda, idaho
leave your burrito's and hot pockets in the plastic bag when you cook them. the bag will keep the moisture in and keep them from drying out. if you cook sausage's or hotdogs do the same thing...wrap them in plastic wrap and then wrap them in aluminum foil. the plastic will shrink and keep all the juices in.

put the stuff in when you leave the truck. when you smell your food, you know it's lunch time.

Scott...do you have a picture of the thing that you use to boil water with?

J

jonasumb

Nov 27, 2012
Boise/McCall Idaho
Take two cans of fuel which fit in the jetboil and 2 water bottles and you will eat better than the rest of your crew

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

maurfello

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2009
Washington
I like to bring a steak with me seasons the way I like it then put in a zip lock bag and throw it in my back pack, under seat bag, tunnel bag...... We usually get to the parking lot to unload by 7:00-8:00, ride till around 10:00 stop take the steak out of the zip lock and put it in the muff pot with a half a beer, ride around till I can't stand the sweet smell of cooking steak any longer and stop and eat.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I prefer fresh food over frozen processed crap. So we may prepare stuff ahead of time of buy some shrimp and mix with some butter and nice veggies. Or throw in some steak or fresh chicken. This is why I prefer my muffpot closer to the Y pipe.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
My wife just made some shrimp and sausage jambalaya that she baked in the oven in tinfoil packs. This would be easy to do in the MuffPot. Pre cook the rice, buy pre cooked shrimp, add a little butter, Cajun seasoning, chunks of Kielbasa, green and red peppers and that is it.

I like to use Oven Bags wrapped in tinfoil. You just need to allow the oven bag to vent or they can explode!

My buddy had boiling BBQ sauce and Little Smokey shrapnel all over his engine from wrapping an oven bag too tight!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jblaze74

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2011
Reno/North Tahoe
I prefer fresh food over frozen processed crap. So we may prepare stuff ahead of time of buy some shrimp and mix with some butter and nice veggies. Or throw in some steak or fresh chicken. This is why I prefer my muffpot closer to the Y pipe.

I love my "Thing" cooker. The wife makes awesome lasagna and meatloaf. What ever i can fit in these mini to go tins. This year I need to try steak, chicken and shrimp.

IMG_4593.jpg

clatla

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
MN
I had a HotDogger mounted on the stock muffler on my 13'. I bought this for my 15' https://rmproducts.net/ski_doo_xmxs_quick_release_center_hood_vent_panel
and mounted a Muff Pot under the hood. Looking forward to having a bigger cooker.
I have made dogs, brats, hot pockets, pizza rolls, left over pizza, meatballs and mini weenies. I love something warm to eat on the hill. I use oven bags to help with clean up.

IMAG0664.jpg IMAG1857.jpg

R
Dec 12, 2007
Orting, WA
Go to Costco and get the Philly Cheese steak sandwiches. Wrap em in foil. put it in the muff pot 15-20 minutes before you want to eat. I started doing this a couple of years ago and I will never eat another diarrhea pocket again.

e6d2232dccee3f1e545569555b4b311b.jpg

C

Covelli44

Jan 2, 2011
North Aurora, IL
I recommend putting the cooker, whatever brand it may be, closest to the motor where you will get the most heat. This will decrease cook time and give you the higher temps for the foods that require it. As you have heard the possibilities are endless! Whatever you can think of packing in there, it works. And like everyone has said, there is nothing like a warm meal on the mountain. No matter how ****ty it is, it is still warm!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Wow. You guys are serious! I have never owned a cooker. I take a BBQ hot pocket, when we stop to BS I put it on the exhaust somewhere (where depending on rig) and eat when warm. Guys I ride with are a little more serious about it, but not like you guys! I eat a lot in the truck before launching, we don't ride for more than 4-5 hours, I get dinner when I get home. I guess if we did all day rides it would be more important. Only time in the last few years I had an issue was when all the guys busted out hot fried chicken, the smell about killed me. I guess I need to step up.... :)

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Salami and cheese sandwiches -- any hot dogs -- Ruben sandwiches really don't matter what it is wrap it in tinfoil and stick them in the cooker. Warm is always better even if they sometimes get a bit soggy . so take it easy on the lettuce and tomatoes:face-icon-small-hap
Anytime we ride in the trees we just find a dead tree make a fire and have a Moose sausage (weeny) roast now that is hard to beat.

Premium Features