• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arm pump sucks kinda

P
Dec 15, 2018
Terrible post I know but iam new and have no mentors so…how do you cope with it? Better yet how do you not get it at all? My arms are toasted and tomorrow will be at a permanent 90 degrees stuck and painful lol? I tried breathing and relaxing my grip and I flinged off… lol. Thanks for sharing the secrets ! Had a fun day and only got stuck half the time so improving!! Thanks

C
Mar 5, 2018
Buddy you've been on quite a journey on this forum but ahh how many years did it take you to get good at skiing? And how much of that fitness was built when you were young? Building muscle is hard when you're not a kid, either hit the gym or expect slow progress as your body adapts to the new sport... Not overgripping will help too, you will learn when you need to hold on tight and when you can relax moment to moment as you start to anticipate better. But it ain't gonna happen tomorrow! Glad you're getting stuck less...

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i think it just comes with more seat time. learinging how to ride while not fighting the sled as much. Takes some time. working out and trying to mimmick the push and pull should help too.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Never had it, seen plenty get it on our rides.
Definitely tied to daily job or activity levels.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Learning proper technique, body position, throttle control and anticipating changes in terrain will make things a lot easier and will greatly reduce the effort you are using.
Small ladies 110 lb ers with good technique can ride these sleds very well.
Riding shape come with time riding, keep after it and most importantly have fun.

K
Apr 12, 2018
As you learn more about your sled, you will learn to let it do more of the work for you. You will learn to relax more and not be so tense. Right now you are probably hanging on for dear life, not even knowing it.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
What gloves do you wear?

I only ask because I tried a new pair a few rides back and the arm pump was severe. Went back to a thinner glove and the problem was solved.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Certainly don't use a finger throttle with anything powerful as when you accelerate you need all 4 fingers to hold from falling backwards. Lots of guys I know that try the finger throttle get arm pump. It is all physics. Some days I wish I had 6 fingers on each hand. Does Klim make 6 finger gloves?

P
Dec 15, 2018
Hmmm… maybe the finger throttle has to go. I have some gloves from klim that are more like ski gloves than dirt bike gloves? I need to figure out the throttle because it’s just not working. I may actually have to try it I’m on the left bar but it makes me nervous as many whiskey throttle accidents as I hear about. Sucky. My arms are so stiff and I know why guys want carbon helmets too lol. Keep trying. Getting a little better. We did a long day did off trail 50% and even tried a few tree runs lol. I side hiked accross a steep hill for first time lol. But now I feel like I was hit by a car . Thanks!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Its a sore, tired feeling that gets addictive. If you don't feel like that you didn't ride hard enough. :p Don't even try a lefty throttle. I sold many Phantom Teth-Air's to guys with the horror storys of the freezing lefty throttle. Many finger throttles pinned by tree branches too, even if they have a gaurd.

P
Dec 15, 2018
I know some know but the throttle thing is due to a disability in my right hand. Iam not going to be a quitter though just need that feeling and control a normal hand has. My hand was cut clean off lol. They say it’s about 40%normal. When o was a kid I called it my claw cause it was just a hook kinda. Anyways I hated how my thumb was but it maybe better than my finger lol. Maybe someday we’ll be able to control the throttle with our minds ooohhh…lol. Iam going to be burandt someday so maybe I’ll invest in a hot tub? Could do snow plung then hot tub all better lol!!’n

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I know some know but the throttle thing is due to a disability in my right hand. Iam not going to be a quitter though just need that feeling and control a normal hand has. My hand was cut clean off lol. They say it’s about 40%normal. When o was a kid I called it my claw cause it was just a hook kinda. Anyways I hated how my thumb was but it maybe better than my finger lol. Maybe someday we’ll be able to control the throttle with our minds ooohhh…lol. Iam going to be burandt someday so maybe I’ll invest in a hot tub? Could do snow plung then hot tub all better lol!!’n
Wow, sorry didn't know. You can put a lefty on but I recommend running the throttle cable directly to it and not have a secondary cable to the right hand throttle. Good for you for not saying "I can't".

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
More seat time is no 1.
Getting more comfortable will make you relax more. And learning the technique, body English, brake/throttle control etc will also take much of the brute force out of directing your sled.

S
Jan 21, 2016
Are you just getting arm pump or is there some cramping along with it? If you are cramping 2 or 3 oz. of pickle juice will help. when cramping drink, the pickle juice. Cramps will subside in minutes. Drink some before riding and there will a less chance of cramping. I know this sounds absolutely crazy. There have been university studies on this, and they explain in detail why it works. Harvard did good one. i carry a small container with about 8 oz. while single track dirt bike rides. I do not usually cramp on the snow though. I did not believe it till i met a group of riders on 60-mile loop trail. told one guy i had cramps and that the last 15 miles were going to be hell. he told me to try his pickle juice and in minutes it was getting better. 10 minutes later no cramps. It does a muscle reflex reset. i was amazed. got home and looked it up. many pro athletes use it. amazon sells it in 1 or 2 oz bottles. enjoy the flavor or let the cramps cramp your day.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Hmmm… maybe the finger throttle has to go. I have some gloves from klim that are more like ski gloves than dirt bike gloves? I need to figure out the throttle because it’s just not working. I may actually have to try it I’m on the left bar but it makes me nervous as many whiskey throttle accidents as I hear about. Sucky. My arms are so stiff and I know why guys want carbon helmets too lol. Keep trying. Getting a little better. We did a long day did off trail 50% and even tried a few tree runs lol. I side hiked accross a steep hill for first time lol. But now I feel like I was hit by a car . Thanks!
I wish i was closer to u.
I would take u out and show u how to make the sled do the work.
Save the body.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
We buy pickles by the 5 gallon bucket from Sysco cuz my kids drink so much juice plus love the pickles.
Lifesaver for their sports.
Definitely shuts down cramps.

G

greenmtnboys

Oct 12, 2009
BC
Try standing up more changing your body position might help. if you are standing move around on the running boards just to change angles. you could try leaving your throttle a little loose so you can move it it run with your thumb or fingers as you go. Not too loose tho

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Drink lots of electrolytes. I would go through 2-3 litres a day when I quit riding 6 years ago. Now I’m getting back into it, so I’m stocking up on Pedialyte and Gatorade Propel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features