• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat To Matryx

T
Dec 10, 2018
Calgary, Alberta
After watching everyone make strides ahead and AC sitting watching everyone for the last 10 years I’m contemplating jumping ship. Anyone come off an alpha and go to the matryx chassis? Potentially looking to snowcheck a 9r and seeing if anyone has any regrets? Currently on a 2020 Alpha , elevate kit and many other goodies.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I’ve always had cats, about 5.
The last was an 18 MC with a lot of extras, elevate too. Ran great and was a fun sled. Clutch troubles-of course.
Decided to switch teams last year and got matryx Khaos 165.
It’s a very fun sled. Easy to ride, goes where you say. Does what you want it to. Lots of power.
I don’t miss the Cat, I did at first because of familiarity. Now, not at all and I think I’m much more confident riding the Matryx. You won’t be disappointed in the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
I came off a 19 Alpha and got a 22 Matryx to try something different until Cat released the new chassis. Matryx was better on trail, climbed out of holes better, noticeably lighter, seemed quicker (maybe cause of the belt drive). Alpha easier to pull over and ride more neutral. About the same for fuel and oil consumption. I really enjoyed the Matryx but Alpha is still my favourite sled. I’ll be on a Catalyst next season…..can’t wait to get back on a Cat.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Ive always had cats. Recently alpha and twin rail ascender. Really great sleds. It’s really easy to switch over to axys or matryx. I was more of a fan of the cat twin rail in the super technical terrain and the matryx feels very similar to ride in similar terrain.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
^^
Agreed with that.
I also have a 21 Axys Khaos 155. It’s extremely similar in feel to my ascender cat with elevate. I was a little surprised the first few rides on the Matryx that it was different but similar. It’s smaller and more compact feeling. I would say that with the Matryx I’m finding myself very comfortable on it after 600 miles. I am also getting myself into situations I’m not used to getting into also, which is good, but working my nerves a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
1 year on 19 alpha 165 and 2 years on a 2020 alpha 154. They were both awesome. Probably liked the 19 better after looking back at it. That is weird because I usually like 150ish class sleds better. I actually thought these sleds were the funnest ever and about the easiest to ride. Bought a 22 kaos boost and rode my wife's 22 kaos matryx a bunch. They were extremely easy without all the downfalls of the alpha. Just rode our spare 22 165 mountain max, yesterday, because my lynx heat exchanger isn't fixed yet. Absolutely hated that sled. Really heavy. Cut up a hillside, in the trees, and it tried to slide out on me. Coming back down i hit a soft spot and dove and buried a ski. Just had to dig out front-end but basically stuck going downhill. One extreme to the next. Told my buddy that i couldn't believe how much i loved those sleds and now i Absolutely hate them once i got away. We have a 9r. So much better than the alpha in every way.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Biggest issue is guys get used to the floppy rolly feeling of the alpha and the matryx might feel like it takes a tiny bit more effort to get on edge, because it actually has an edge. I spent a lot of time during the 18 and 19 winters doing development on them. That being said rode one again yesterday and felt like I was riding a wagon. Front end tucks and dives downhill really bad. Sled feels super rough and unrefined.

Cons - Open meadow pow turns may feel a tiny bit harder.

Pros - everything else.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
1 year on 19 alpha 165 and 2 years on a 2020 alpha 154. They were both awesome. Probably liked the 19 better after looking back at it. That is weird because I usually like 150ish class sleds better. I actually thought these sleds were the funnest ever and about the easiest to ride. Bought a 22 kaos boost and rode my wife's 22 kaos matryx a bunch. They were extremely easy without all the downfalls of the alpha. Just rode our spare 22 165 mountain max, yesterday, because my lynx heat exchanger isn't fixed yet. Absolutely hated that sled. Really heavy. Cut up a hillside, in the trees, and it tried to slide out on me. Coming back down i hit a soft spot and dove and buried a ski. Just had to dig out front-end but basically stuck going downhill. One extreme to the next. Told my buddy that i couldn't believe how much i loved those sleds and now i Absolutely hate them once i got away. We have a 9r. So much better than the alpha in every way.
Exactly how I feel about the alpha. I haven’t been on a matryx yet but the axys is better in every way.

T
Dec 10, 2018
Calgary, Alberta
Perfect good to know . Know the feeling of it wanting to slide out and diving …
Biggest issue is guys get used to the floppy rolly feeling of the alpha and the matryx might feel like it takes a tiny bit more effort to get on edge, because it actually has an edge. I spent a lot of time during the 18 and 19 winters doing development on them. That being said rode one again yesterday and felt like I was riding a wagon. Front end tucks and dives downhill really bad. Sled feels super rough and unrefined.

Cons - Open meadow pow turns may feel a tiny bit harder.

Pros - everything else.

The floppy rolly feeling of the alpha is a blessing but a curse sometimes , really makes you have to think on tight technical stuff. After 1000kms still ends up catching me by suprise.

Appreciate the input gents, see what tomorrow brings maybe a new 9R snowcheck for the stable..

B
Jul 28, 2008
Funny thing about sleds is if they're not set up for you suspension wise etc, you're going to dislike whatever it is.
I've hopped on and off from Alpha to 9r several times this year. I love both sleds. When they're setup correctly, I think they feel fairly similar. Differences seem so negligible at this point that you're just going to like whatever you're used to without spending some time on the other. Same goes for jumping from AC/Poo to Doo. Doo's just feel different and take time to get used to. Not better or worse, just different imo. That being said, the low end throttle response of the 9r is pretty special. That's definitely where that sled shines.

I'd like a 9r with an Alpha rail. That's about what the catalyst will be in 2 years when they release it with the new motor. I'll probably just keep and ride my turbo'd alpha until then.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Funny thing about sleds is if they're not set up for you suspension wise etc, you're going to dislike whatever it is.
I've hopped on and off from Alpha to 9r several times this year. I love both sleds. When they're setup correctly, I think they feel fairly similar. Differences seem so negligible at this point that you're just going to like whatever you're used to without spending some time on the other. Same goes for jumping from AC/Poo to Doo. Doo's just feel different and take time to get used to. Not better or worse, just different imo. That being said, the low end throttle response of the 9r is pretty special. That's definitely where that sled shines.

I'd like a 9r with an Alpha rail. That's about what the catalyst will be in 2 years when they release it with the new motor. I'll probably just keep and ride my turbo'd alpha until then.
In good conditions they are similar, especially with an elevate kit, probably giving a little nod to the alpha mainly because of the track. But when the snow sets up the alpha kinda sucks to ride. Why after 1 season i was back on a polaris

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

B
Jul 28, 2008
In good conditions they are similar, especially with an elevate kit, probably giving a little nod to the alpha mainly because of the track. But when the snow sets up the alpha kinda sucks to ride. Why after 1 season i was back on a polaris

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Yeah, Alpha isn't good on set up snow...but it's a powder sled. It's like complaining about having fat skis when it's hardpack conditions. That's why I have another sled for trails :)

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
Just got rid of my 2015 Yamacat turbo for a
snowflake check and I like it, I’ve switched nicely, it a 165 boost with 80 miles so far….but I hear a dozen plugs and new clutch are required tools….I’m gonna give it the Muskoko treatment soon…. But I’m now 61 so I dream:)))) Pemberton here we come! I’m a Jerry…..

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Just got rid of my 2015 Yamacat turbo for a
snowflake check and I like it, I’ve switched nicely, it a 165 boost with 80 miles so far….but I hear a dozen plugs and new clutch are required tools….I’m gonna give it the Muskoko treatment soon…. But I’m now 61 so I dream:)))) Pemberton here we come! I’m a Jerry…..

Make sure you hook up with @kanedog. He will take you to the goods and maybe give you a lesson on CVT theory.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
All are welcome so pick up Chadly on your way up here. My theory says May is best for delicious warm spring riding.

Premium Features