• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic cat 900 owner's chime in

S
Mar 29, 2008
Sunlight Basin, WY
Was climbing yesterday with my King cat and noticed I was only getting about 7000 rpm's at best during my hill climbs, I know I should be around 7600-7500 when at full throttle, this was about 9,500 ft. why would I be so doggy?

C

CatndHat

Nov 8, 2003
Snowville WY
could be several causes, but first possible issue to check if no major clutch changes latley:
Do a search for exhaust valve servo actuator cable length specs.
Cable stretch can cause the valves to stay closed and cause a rich condition holding Rs to about 6700 rpm,
Noticed a handy new quick checker billet template tool I need to buy also on the cat sled seg just yesterday for the same cable correct adjustment. $29.00

C

CatndHat

Nov 8, 2003
Snowville WY
Start the sled on a stand with the plastic servo cable cover off, hit the throttle to 3/4 or more and watch the cable roller to cycle valves once for a cleaning pulse
cycle, I think the servo will cycle once at initial start up too. If the valves do not cycle at all odds are the cable has stretch.

C

CatndHat

Nov 8, 2003
Snowville WY
Worn belt/primary clutch busshings,fouled plug, spider going south, driven clutch rollers went flat and are hanging up. Did you get the Rs back as you dropped elevation?

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
check weights in primary...if a set screw backed out, it will hinder your Rs a bit...also since your in there check the o rings on either side of the bolts holding the weights in.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Start the sled on a stand with the plastic servo cable cover off, hit the throttle to 3/4 or more and watch the cable roller to cycle valves once for a cleaning pulse
cycle, I think the servo will cycle once at initial start up too. If the valves do not cycle at all odds are the cable has stretch.

Only the carbs sleds fire the servo motor at start up for a self test. The EFIs dont do it till 6900.

C

CatndHat

Nov 8, 2003
Snowville WY
Even if the problem is not the exhaust valve cables, which it still may be,
buy a cat clutch puller tool for that model clutch because you will need to
replace the bushings/washers/and stay bolts on the primary clutch pins every 350-450 miles for good performance and to preserve the clutch integrity, Also a good opportunity to inspect all clutch parts condition at that time. Blow the clutches out with compressed air after every ride.

The clutch weights should be stamped on the side of the weight, if not you will need to weigh them individually on a gram scale. The shop that sells the weight
can recommend which way to go with the gram denomination for target rpm.

Premium Features