• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

anyone want to rent or sell me a flywheel puller?

W

Wildcat

Nov 26, 2007
Shakopee, MN
What worked good for me to get my stuck flywheel off is attach the puller with pressure applied, then heat up the center with a blow torch and wait for it to pop off.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
It does not sound like you have the correct tools or knowledge to do what is needed, the best thing you can do at this point is take it some where. If you mess something up it's going to cost a lot more.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
The right tools, No. The knowledge, Definately. If I had the right tool, this would have been off already.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
im not sure if this will help but in high-school we had what we called the "widow maker" it was a heavy weight 3-5lbs on a rod the screwed into the crank... then from the top of the rod two large springs opposite each other with a 1/2" flat bar hook on the end...

you would screw the rod into the crank, attach the hooks to either side of the flywheel... lift the weight and drop it. 90% of the time it worked better then the bolt style pullers because of the vibration and tension working together at the same time...

idk if this helps you but you could easily make one however the engine would need to be upright for this to work.

let me know if you have have any questions about it...

basically this slide hammer but at the top Tee there would be two springs going down to you flywheel.
Hahaha, I've used that exact one a few times my self in Mr. L's shop. :D Graduated from Crosby in 96.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Well I broke down and took the engine to the shop to get the flywheel pulled.. 2 minutes and $5 later it was done.. Surprised it was so cheap.. They told me over the phone it would be like $50 for some reason.. Oh well its done.. Thanks to all who chimed in and offered their help..;):beer;

B
Nov 27, 2007
Kfalls, Or
Good mechanics are hard to find. Take that guy some donuts or something! :D

+1 on the washers bending. I finally went to a parts store and got the thickest, stiffest, hardest, baddest washers I could find and still bent 'em some before the flywheel popped off. I ended up getting SLP's super-heavy duty puller, and have not had to pull one since. Go figure. (not having those Edge 800's any more helps with that ;) )

Premium Features