• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

anyone want to rent or sell me a flywheel puller?

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
The last thing I have to do is pull the flywheel off my motor so I can get the crank replaced and put back together.. Nobody around here has one.. I only need it 1 time (hopefully) so I dont really want to buy one, but will for the right price.. anyone want to rent or sell me one? I can pay shipping both ways + whatever you fell is fair.. Let me know. Thanks

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Please tell me more :D.. I went out there looking and all they had was the claw type puller.. Let me know which ones you are talking about... Thanks

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
I seen those out there, but didnt think they would work that well.. not sure I trust them to pull off straight, but if you say they will work, I will give it a go.. Do you just use the bolts included in the kit or did you buy some others?

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
the kit bolts dont fit and i forget what a 800 looks like.LOL.you know the more i think about it,you might still want to buy,borrow or rent a quility sled flywheel puller.that cheap harbor frieght stuff probably isnt what you should use.

Last edited:
X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
I have a harmonic dampener puller, (that's what the harbor freight one is) but it's a quality Lyle version. Works great for sled flywheels, bolts that come with it fit and work well, No issues so far using it. Just remove the flat/wobble adapter from the end so you can use the tapered tip and your good to go.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Well thanks for all the help guys.. I am going to get one of these.. the harmonic puller and the one on ebay are essentially the same thing as the Harbor freight one, just maybe a little stronger.. As long as I use the right bolts it should be fine I think.. doesnt matter if I mess up the crank since its broke anyway and I really dont see how this could mess up the fly wheel itself.. I will buy one tomorrow and post how it all goes.. Thanks for the idea :D

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Just don't screw the bolts in too deep and run them into your stator, that can cost you a few bucks, just make sure you get all the way through the flywheel without hitting anything behind it.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Well, I went and bought the tool, screwed the bolts into the flywheel and gave it a shot.. its a no go.. I have tried everything.. the bolts keep trying to pull through the puller.. The washers under them look like tacos now:p. I am not sure what to do.. I tighten it snug, tap the end with a hammer and repeat. I have pulled more flywheels from atv's and motorcycles than I can count and have never had such an issue. This is my first snowmobile flywheel.. are they normally this tight? I dont know what else to do.. any suggestions?

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
i added bigger washers.had 2 on each bolt.my kit came with 2 i think..:beer;

Last edited:
Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
I had 2 on each bolt also.. 1 wasnt very thick though.. going to try something just a little different..I have blown through about 6 washers now since I have tried 2 times now and still nothing.. going to go at it again soon.. I cant believe this is being so difficult..

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
im pulling a cat engine now.i have stripped out star bolts,broke a cable and busted the oil tank and havent got to the flywheel yet.LOL

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Third and final attempt was a failure.. I cannot find anything strong enough to use to keep the bolts from pulling through the puller.. the heads of the bolts I am using are just to small and I am getting so much pressure to that flywheel and it isnt budging I am afraid the bolts are going to pull out of the flywheel itself.. Not sure what else to do now.. This is VERY frustrating..
banghead.gif

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
well poop.that sucks.if me,id probably get money back for the puller since i didnt work.and maybe run the engine to a sled or bike shop and they will use a quality puller and pop it off for free or 20 bucks.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
I was thinking thats what I might do.. Just haulin the engine down there is what I want to avoid.. and them doing it for free.. thats a joke.. They will probably charge me about $50.. Not really worth it since I can buy a puller from SLP for that price, but they are an hour from me.. Not sure what I want to do at this point.. I was really hoping this was going to work..

P
Jul 12, 2009
Crosby, MN
im not sure if this will help but in high-school we had what we called the "widow maker" it was a heavy weight 3-5lbs on a rod the screwed into the crank... then from the top of the rod two large springs opposite each other with a 1/2" flat bar hook on the end...

you would screw the rod into the crank, attach the hooks to either side of the flywheel... lift the weight and drop it. 90% of the time it worked better then the bolt style pullers because of the vibration and tension working together at the same time...

idk if this helps you but you could easily make one however the engine would need to be upright for this to work.

let me know if you have have any questions about it...

basically this slide hammer but at the top Tee there would be two springs going down to you flywheel.

puller2.jpg

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Definitely makes sense and I could see how it would work.. I think I am just going to have to bite the bullet and either take it down to the shop or buy the right puller.. Thanks for the info though..:D

Premium Features