• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

anyone tried this sec. spring in there M?

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
speedwerx black/orange with rates of 140/270? im running the cat orange right now (175/280) which seems pretty good overall but im wondering if its a bit stiff. backshift is good but after reading some posts im wondering if its why im havin a hard time matching up clutching, if that makes sense, my primary is always hotter and i've tried just about everything primary wise like adjusting weights and softer springs but still hotter. also i ride with some guys who use softer springs like the team red/black which is rated at 140/240 and the orange in mine has better backshift but they're sleds seem to average a few more mph trackspeed. so i was thinkin the speedwerx 140/270 would put me somewhere in the middle with decent backshift and better upshift for maybe a bit more trackspeed. does that make sense or am i way off base? maybe some of you clutching experts could chime in here as i am definately not an expert at this.

oh ya, my sled has been geared down and i've heard this usually allows you to run softer sec. springs, is this also true?

thanks for any info.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I have a spare secondary all set up and ready with Goodwin Blu spring because I have the same theory you do. I just haven't had a chance to run it yet. The Goodwin Blu is rated only slightly lower than the AC Orange. One does have to make sure the spring rates you are using are measured at the same length to get a relative comparison.

What lenght is the AC orange measured at for the 175/280 Cat spec?

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
yeah, that is true on the measuring hights. im not sure on either of them, i'll have to double check speedwerx sight and see if they have it on there. and i dont know where to look for cats, all i know is its a stiff bugger. but anywho just for the discussion at hand, say they are rated at the same hights does the rest of my theory sound accurate?

Last edited:
M
Nov 26, 2007
billings, MT
glad you brought this up vern!:beer; i too am having primary heat issues... tried lots of stuff and it just wont go away. it seems to me that the belt is not getting up into the better contact patch area of the primary sheaves... thus slipping occurs. any steep climbs, whether short or long, my primary gets hot.:mad: im running a torsional setup with the sno-pro green in the back... which is a stiff spring as well.

ps i was guided to the theory in bold by the way.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2007
Idaho
This is the same problem I have been dealing with (as i am sure most are). I have a torsional kit. I started with the green spring but notice every time I loosen it and/or put in a softer spring (red white) the heat is reduced. The only problem with doing that is my rpm becomes inconsistent. I'm sure the same principle will apply to your compression style as well. I have been thinking gearing was the answer but it seems like you have tried that and it wasn't. So in the mean time I have been venting and it is helping but only a bandage. I run the 046 belt and have been wondering if the softer 060 would help reduce heat and slippage? Thanks

Last edited:

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
hmm, nobody has any thoughts or opinions on the softer spring huh? on the speedwerx vs. cat spring measure heights speedwerx says they measure they're springs at the same heights cat does, just in case anyone else was wondering.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Tapps, Wa
I was just thinking the same thing, what are you using for a primary spring. May want to try a stiffer finish on the primary. I had the gold in mine and would get really hot and inconsistant rpm and speed. I put in a slp black pink (120/340 i think) and it cooled things down a bit with a little more consistancy in rpm and speed. My secondary is a straight 40 and black white team spring.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
in the primary i've tried cats gold, y/w, o/w springs, SLPs black/yellow and blue/yellow springs and adjusted my cutlers from 60-67 gr. with a stock 36 helix and a 42/36 progressive. currently im running the cat y/w pri. with about 66.5 gr. loaded mostly at the heal with a bit in the tip and the stock 36 helix, 42/36 pro. was very inconsistant. anywho this is the best setup i've had so far but the primary is still slipping a bit so i threw the gold in last weekend for one more try and i think it helped a bit with slippage but didnt have the snap the y/w does and occasionally had a hard time pullin the rpms after riding for a bit.

and after all that ^^^^ thats whats got me wondering if softening up the secondary just a bit might help balance things out.

F
Dec 5, 2001
back country
Ok, Vern, I haven't tried anything in that range, but it should be between the original white and the orange, down low. With that in mind, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like the back-shift, unless it had about 1/4" preload added, and then it gets stiffer up top, maybe preventing full upshift and adding heat in the secondary? I'm thinkin, with the gold, and a straight 38 (in mine, now), that a 175/250 might be better at allowing full upshift and good backshift...but not sure.

John

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
try the d&d gold secondary spring... hahaha i think it has a 360 finish. i tried this spring with a 42/36 prog. and im going to have to take the two black shims out cause once i get up to 70 mph i can smell belt... too much secondary i think. but man does it backshift a mofo!

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I finally had a chance to run the Goodwin Blue back to back with the AC Orange and I like it. Snow conditions were early spring type; minimal powder, some heavy near wet soft stuff, and lots of hardpack. The secondary upshifts faster, holds rpms, backshift seems equal and clutch temps normal. The sled definitely accelarates faster / pulls harder. So, will have to run it in some other conditions to be certain, but it is an improvement so far. Here's the setup: Stock 09 M8. 70g / AC Orange White primary. Goodwin Blu / 36 / shift assist secondary.

Premium Features