• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone else think CAT is dumb?

S
Nov 21, 2007
manitoba
Over the last 2 months I have been looking at getting a new or leftover sled.

Started really looking recently and have been turned right away from anything Cat is offering. Not due to there product but due to there prices.

I can't understand why there stuff is so expensive. Especially if the sled hasnt changed much in the last 7-8 years. Im looking at getting a leftover or new xfire 800sp or the R or the Ho version. Should have bought last year but didnt. Anyway, get some prices for a leftover. Almost crapped my pants as it has gone up 800 bucks in price since my quote last fall for it BRAND NEW! Get the same thing in terms of increase on the 09 sp. Get a price for a new HO. What a rip. I know its got a new engine. But thats it. Not worth 1500-2000 more then a 09. So I ask about the 09 and 2010 xfire 1000's. 1000 bucks more for a 2010 for the same exact sled as the 09. hmmm

Was told the prices went up due to the dollar. For the prices to go up that much the dollar would have had to drop to below 40 cents to show those increases.

Im dumbfounded why they went up other then the new HO but that is even a rip. The dollar cant be the reason, the new tech can't be the reason as there isnt any other then the HO and they sure arent offering clothing/cat cash like they used too.

Cat you have a good product, what I want, but holy crap you've priced yourself so high I'm looking at doo now cause there actually a decent price and not gouging the customer as much. Never thought Id go yellow but after 10 years on cat and looking at new now again it just might not happen.

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
The season is coming. Prices always go up from now until after xmas. Come Jan 1 the sales will start.

I bought a holdover 09 M8 in April for about $1000 less than the "fire sales" people are reporting lately.

S
Nov 21, 2007
manitoba
The season is coming. Prices always go up from now until after xmas. Come Jan 1 the sales will start.

I bought a holdover 09 M8 in April for about $1000 less than the "fire sales" people are reporting lately.

Prices went up here in the spring and havent gone down. The fact is when the tech hasnt changed why is the price going up so much. A dealer is advertising, pay what we the employees pay on 09's. Well that price is more then the fall quote I got last year. So how can the employee price be more then the non-sale price but then they say the employee pays less.

Personally, with the way both economies are at the moment dealers should be trying to off load as much as they can. But with these prices they will have a lot of leftovers hanging around.

Can't wait to see what the same sled will cost next year. I'm think up another 500 bucks or more.

When the xfire R and the firecat are the same sled minus the tunnel and hood and there is a 2-3 thousand dollar difference for the same tech but 7 years later, people have to start wondering what the manufacturers are thinking when there pricing. Maybe going bankrupt is something they want? At least the auto industry has noticed this and lowered prices. Guess the quad/sled industry hasnt noticed that people arent going to buy there stuff for there high prices. Quads are as bad as sleds. Was going to upgrade the 07 H1 but it would have been another 6500 with trade in for a new 700efi. not worth the extra.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Prices go up every year thats just a fact that most eveyone has learned to live with. The price of the hold over sled went up b/c the the new sleds are quite a bit more expensive so that in turn raises the value of older sleds. Its not just AC its a manufactureing. I i went to the farm equipment dealership and demanded to buy a seeder for the same pice i bought one for last year they would laugh me right out the door and sleds are not differrent.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I dunno, the Cat dealer here was selling '09 M8 non sno pro's last spring for around $7500. Maybe it's a Canada thing...they want you to buy Doo and support the local economy!:beer;

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I saw dealers a few weeks ago selling them cheaper than last year, I bought my 09 m1000 162 for $9,900 the beginning of last janurary. I thought that was a great deal, and I've seen them for the same price or less. but now they will go up until Jan like said above. If you cant figure out a good deal then buy a doo. better yet if you cant afford the sport theres always skiing.

A
Nov 27, 2007
McCall Idaho
got my 09 M8 Sno Pro 153 for $9300. 10k out the door.

I thoughtis was a good deal for the quality of sled i was gettin.. my 09 has been the best sled ive ever had....put over 2000 miles on...with a turbo:D

S
Nov 21, 2007
manitoba
Yes I know you get what you pay for and that Cat has a good product. I just dont support paying more every year for the same TECH year after year after year. Thats like going to yamaha and buying a apex gt for over 15grand canadian and it hasnt changed in years. There is no reason a sled with old tech should cost 60% of what my truck costs. Especially if its a leftover.

R
Nov 26, 2007
Welcome to the real world. You may not like it but thats how it is. Inflation, exchange and time of year (lead-in to sledding season) are all working against you.
I'd get the doo, those cats suck;)
Be patient and Good luck!:beer;

Apr 21, 2008
No amount of crying and complaining is going to change it, the prices keep going up. That same "old tech" that Cat's been using on the M/CF chassis for 6 years has evolved a lot in that time. Ride an 05 or an 09, and there is a big difference. I'm not saying the prices are necessarily reasonable, but the cost of manufacturing and everything goes up, so will sled prices.

The difference in price between the Cat and Doo is the cost of reliability. You can pay it now or pay it in smaller payments to the Doo parts counter.

S
Nov 21, 2007
manitoba
Welcome to the real world. You may not like it but thats how it is. Inflation, exchange and time of year (lead-in to sledding season) are all working against you.
I'd get the doo, those cats suck;)
Be patient and Good luck!:beer;

The problem is they cant be using the exchange rate to set there prices. If they did the prices would be a LOT closer to last years. In the past prices werent subjected to the exchange like they are now. Seems odd that they can adjust leftovers on the exchange rate when they were in the country and purchased by dealers before the new stuff was out and adjusted with the exchange rate. O well, there pricing themselves out of the market and there sales will show it. Love there arctic blast sales event. 2 year warranty and 250 dollars cat cash. OMG talk about a big time sale. :rolleyes:

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
I would guess you dealer is just trying to keep his doors open and if the market is good then he might make a $. Unlike us in the U.S we are trying to get ride of old inventory so we can take the new stuff. We pack it deep and sell it cheap. Cat rebate have not changed from spring in the states we have as much as 2k on old M1000 but nothing over 600 on the M8.

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
snopropanther

Looks like you just walked into reality! Every business is trying to stay alive in this day and age. Look at the auto business, discount the slow movers, keep the price up on good inventory, try and make a dollar or two. Have you ever stopped and thought what a person in business may be paying in interest on a floor planned inventory. Not every business man has a million bucks to pay for his products. So if cats are too high because the dealer and the manufacture is trying to stay alive. Maybe you should look at brand X. Oh by the way brand X may not be in business in two years because they sold them too cheap and no one made any profit to pay the bills. just my thoughts from my business experience.

Last edited:
S
Nov 21, 2007
manitoba
Looks like you just walked into reality! Every business is trying to stay alive in this day and age. Look at the auto business, discount the slow movers, keep the price up on good inventory, try and make a dollar or two. Have you ever stopped and thought what a person in business may be paying in interest on a floor planned inventory. Not every business man has a million bucks to pay for his products. So if cats are too high because the dealer and the manufacture is trying to stay alive. Maybe you should look at brand X. Oh by the way brand X may not be in business in two years because they sold them too cheap and no one made any profit to pay the bills. just my thoughts from my business experience.

Leftover on the floor is worth more then it was NEW last fall. So if there paying interest you would think they would want to lower it a bit instead of raising it so it stays on the floor longer and pay more interest (dont need a business degree to figure that out, usually income is better for a business then paying interest).

If I was in business I would want to get rid of everything and make a margin that is reasonable. Some dealers make 300-400 per sled. They are the ones that sell mostly everything and order more. So its either sell or pay more interest. I guess most dealers want to pay more interest. I've walked into 2 dealers and offered 11grand OTD on the sled I want. That is taking last years prices, economy, and inventory. 11grand OTD is 400 less then my OTD quote last year. What dealer wouldn't want to sell a leftover that there paying interest on and still make a margin from last years prices. Beats the he!! out of me. Havent low balled anyone and personally I think 11grand for a leftover 800 is a little high but stuff is expensive. Still have to check the local dealer which I think is where I'll get a decent price. Just havent been in town recently.

Big sleds years ago were under 10grand easily, they sold, and there were tons on the trails/mountains (look at the used market and there are tons), dealers were staying alive and doing well.

Snows in the forecast, maybe that will make some dealers want to deal? Who knows.

Premium Features