• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

AND....another one bites the dust....

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
2009 Dragon 800. Mag side failed at 785 miles today. 300 miles after the reflash (yellow injectors). Properly warmed up. Riding at 10K ft. Seized in 20" of fresh only 2 miles after I left the truck. Was running peak 8100 rpms and 122 deg temps when I lost the mag side. The mag side plug was all caked in a grey mess with debris all over the plug. Took it to the dealer for them to figure out. I'm pissed and pretty much know that I won't be riding it again this season. THANKS A LOT POLARIS FOR CUTTING MY SEASON SHORT. I THOUGHT I WAS ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES, GUESS NOT!!!!!!! :mad:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
sorry to hear that CO,...I thought I was done too..last ride went 50 miles on a new topend and it dropped a cylinder on the way home..pulled the exhaust and pistons were good....turns out I lost a reed valve, go figure...

M

Mr. Redrock

Nov 26, 2007
My last trip I noticed abut a 400 rpm drop from my earlier trip. I switched the helix to the 60/40 side to make up some rpms.
Seam to run OK. Got home and started checking things out and sure enugh my pto piston is scuffed across the hole front side. You can feel the drag when you spin the primary clutch over. I'm surprised it didn't lock up.
Dealer I bought it from said Polaris sent them a letter stating they are working on a fix. Guess I will be waiting to get it fixed.
Its a 09 800 dragon with 485 miles. And has the Jan. re flash.
I came back to Polaris this year thinking they had there sh?t figured out.
Its to bad I really like the chassis.

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
I am stunned that Polaris still has not come up with a fix for this.. It has been two seasons hasn't it?

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Add my brother to the list. He'll probably post the details Monday. '09 D8 with like 1700 miles on it. PTO side seized hard. Waited a few minutes and it spun free. Limped it back to the truck on one cylinder.

If someone has pictures of the scuffed pistons and damaged cylinders I can use please email them to me at sled_guy@yahoo.com... I'll update polarisindustriessucks.com with them.

sled_guy

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
The keep telling us a fix is being worked on, don't they? I just wish they would work on it without using us as their testers.

They said the 2010s would have "improved" calibration. I hope so.

sled_guy

Welcome to the R & D Consumer Department of Polaris Industries....
08 D 8, seized PTO side 750 mi into last season, 1000 mi on entire new engine, broke my leg before I could continue my R & D research for Polaris this season..I would however have preferred to having another engine seizure than the way my season ended, LOL:)

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
So got the call from the dealer. Piston ring was not what actually failed. The piston seized in the cylinder!!! Mag side. Too much heat, exhaust?

So Polaris tried to tell my dealer to just replace the one piston and rehone the cylinder. My dealer explained to Polaris that the scoring was too great for just a rehone to work. So after going back and forth with them they finally agreed to send out new cylinders, new pistons, and new piston rings.
SAME exact CRAP going back into my motor as before. So it's May 8th and that is their fix for me. Same parts as before. Polaris claims it's all in the software, but they didn't give my dealer too much info to begin with. The conversation resulted in my dealer cutting off ties with Polaris. They will no longer be selling Polaris as of June 30, 2009. I for one just want a new 2 year warranty starting when my motor is fixed. That's the LEAST you could do Polaris after all the crap you have put people through.

Moral of Story: Good job Polaris, you just lost another dealer and you will probably lose another customer (me) over your lack of quality and customer relations.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Yep polaris is junk the guys that have not had an issue have to be thinking am i next, Where will it it happen and when. No peace of mind what so ever. After 2 years and not being able to fix there problems why would any one step up and buy a new one? Because polaris said it would be fixed? i can't beleive any one would even buy one at this point. i live in a small area and 800s here dropped like flys this year some more than once resale on any newer 800s must be in the crapper. Pull the blinders off step back and look at the big picture. since 02 polaris has had major issues. then it was there cranks and they would not even offer any service parts for them,that one is still going on. there are after market companys trying to take care of polaris customers for them. thats how it is, now polaris can not fix there own problems for there customers so others are trying. Is that really some one to do buisness with?(polaris i mean)I know people will continue to buy polaris , heck people still buy psi even with all the info out there. WHY? Really i use to tell all my buddys that the 800 is the machine to have many bought them And i do feel bad about it. (sorry guy) I don't think there is a single 800 02-05 that has not lost a crank here. Just so you know i do still ride a polaris based wc have lots of parts for it but i would not buy a new one from them or recomend it to any one at this point.Ps trying to get a front bumper for 09 ,nope back ordered it's been a month now and polaris says they do not know when they may get any, a bumper for pete sake.

G
Dec 19, 2007
Surrounded by Dumbacrat's
Copy from amsnow

Some dealers should be out of buisness! There is no reason to blew 800CFI engine after the reflash. If the TPS is set Ok, no problem at all. But if, like many dealership, your dealer is to lazy to properbly check the TPS setting, because you have to remove the airbox and it take time on those 800cc, you can have engine problem. To properly set the TPS, many dealer think that they have to plug the labtop, look that the tps is set at 0.93-0.95 volts and that it. This is not the case, there is a procedure to properly set the basic adjustment for the TPS and it's CRITICAL for performance, fuel economy and durability.

Second, the exhaust port is not the problem. The one ring piston make no sens to me. It was nor working good 20 years ago and it's still the same. With a 2 ring piston, we should not have any problem with this engine.

Third, I would put my 2 cents, that many dealers don't even know that injector color means a lot when you reflash a sled.

Anyway, the compression of your sled is going down, have the piston change before to damage the cylinder (quicker for you to get your sled back)

Will let you know as soon as I have new about that new piston. For now, the answer I've received 10 minutes ago was that Polaris engineer are working on this issue.

Polaris parts and service manager
JG Busque inc.
Saint-Georges, QC
Canada

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Just what I heard from a mucky muck at Poo The reason it took so long is that all their testing was done on accelleration and everything there is OK but just like mod sleds when you let off the throttle the engine has a spot that runs lean because the crank is in free spin and the throttle bodies and tps tell it to shut off the gas. Poo has contacted a company called Orbital and they have confermed what is going on and are doing the fix, remenber you all have engine warranty until march of 2010. And piss poor dealers should go away,

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Hardass if your disapointed I'm really sorry butnot all 800 have gone down. IMO if a bunch have gone down from one area it might be the people setting them up, DON'T GET ME WRONG I'M NOT DEFENDING POLARIS, just saying I heard Carl's had little if any of his go down and some others the same but these guys sell at higher prices than some but with that you get a complete set up . Do you have a vent kit on, how about bar rizers, a shovel bag a underseat bag, Pipe ect? Then try a Power Comander from SLP or Dyno Jim haven't heard of a failure from them. Should you have to NO after missing one weekend from a failure people are foolish not to have one thou IMO
God I love to ride the mountains and a dollar is not going to stop me.

Cardiac Kid

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2001
Gainster

What was the Date on that Post from JG Busque Inc? I know that Canada and some of the other countries have a Flash that is still not available in the U.S. I wonder if that is the flash he is talking about and it doesn't apply to dealers in the U.S because it is not available to use at this time.

I disagree with this dealer and believe there is a problem with piston clearance on the exhaust valve. I have seen the damage on my sled and there is a great picture on another post that clearly shows a problem that can not be or has not been explained by Polaris yet. How this can happen is way beyond me as I have looked at it and looked at it. Something has to be expanding alot.

There is also ether an issue with piston size or cylinder bore because with all new parts in my sled the cylinder clearance is out of spec. and Polaris allows for way more piston to cylinder clearance than is typical for a cast piston. Polaris acknowledged that I had an issue with the excess clearance on these new parts and told me to run it until it dies again or they can get the parts available to fix it before next fall.

I don't dispute that setup is critical but I think having this dealer saying it is the dealer and not the product is a misrepresentation of what has been happening on these sleds.

And no I have not seized one yet. I have taken it in each of the three times before there was significant damage, and all three times it was still running-- just not running like an 800.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
What you say makes perfect sense and might have great merrit but if it's a clearence problem why haven't all sleds gone?, why do some never fail,so far? I know they have two sets of pistons one with tighter specs but still it can't be just that as it seems as you mod the thing it gets more reliable and if it's a clearence problem it should get worse as the added hp makes the bucket flinch from the explosion, it should really rock and catch something . Anyway I hope they tell us soon what's up. It has to be costing them a bundle so far and sucks to be us.

Premium Features