• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

adjusting walker evans shocks?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I tried a search & found nothing on how to adjust the shocks on a dragon.

I have 2 buddies with dragon shocks (one front, one rear) that don't know how to adjust them. I have looked at them & not sure what is needed, I figured they were like my nitrogen shocks, just add nitrogen, but the dealer told one of them that that's not posible.

You guys don't really buy sleds with shocks that don't adjust do you??

I like the new Polaris sleds (iq chassis sleds), but this might change my mind!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
You can get a dealer to adjust them, but you cannot. If your dealer says it's not possible, he shouldn't be a dealer. I changed mine to Fox Float Evol's and I have a ton of adjustment!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Yeah, I know the floats are great, I run them on my cat. I also have a set of nitrogen shocks that i thought were like the WE's, but I can bring them to any offroad place & get them charged easy.

Obviously his dealer is a tool (same dealer for both guys, that explains a lot)

The one with an 09, the front end falls to one side or the other like a set of floats with 15-25 lbs in them, pitiful.

thanks for the reply.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I had the dealer charge mine up to 250psi front and rear from stock 225/200psi. Not too noticeable but does feel like it dives less on the front end and suck up landings better in the rear...

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
Can only add/subtract nitrogen for adjustment. Of course fabcraft makes chambers that are adjustable. I believe mine are 260ish on the high side and 225ish on the low. The shocks also have a goofy soft side at the top of the stroke. It causes the sled to rock back and fourth really easy for the first little bit before it starts the compression. Without the stabilizer bar in, things have to be very equal from side to side pressures or it is a nightmare to ride.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I had the dealer charge mine up to 250psi front and rear from stock 225/200psi. Not too noticeable but does feel like it dives less on the front end and suck up landings better in the rear...

Who is your dealer? I thought you went to co powersports? they're who told my buddy that the shocks couldn't adjust!
the one with the 09 is Jason Busch, I think you know him? His 09 D8 is great aside from the soft shocks.

You guys need to come play up here sometime, the snow sucks right now, but once it gets good again look me up!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
250 on the non-Assault shocks is not recomended by Walker Evans (directly from the design engineer). The seals can blow out more easily at elevated pressures.

Much of the poor performance in these shocks can be attributed to poor nitrogen charging methods

There are no Adjustments on the shocks... You can revalve the 07/08 shocks... change the viscosity of the oil (lighter for cold weather) and bump the pressure a bit..

Check out this post.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82007

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Who is your dealer? I thought you went to co powersports? they're who told my buddy that the shocks couldn't adjust!
the one with the 09 is Jason Busch, I think you know him? His 09 D8 is great aside from the soft shocks.

You guys need to come play up here sometime, the snow sucks right now, but once it gets good again look me up!

Motoadventure outside of Loveland. If they blow with 250 then that's my problem then and I will just replace with Fox. They still feel better as is currently. I like to run my shocks a bit more stiff like I do with the Fox's on my edge.

I know it's been forever since I've been up by in your playground. I just hate driving through Denver and dealing with I70 if you know what I mean. Been trying to find new areas up north this season. The new dragon is light years ahead of my edge btw. So much fun. Finally got the drops down too. The Mountain Cat burnt down at the end of last season so I sold it...

Last edited:
J
May 18, 2021
Oregon
Can only add/subtract nitrogen for adjustment. Of course fabcraft makes chambers that are adjustable. I believe mine are 260ish on the high side and 225ish on the low. The shocks also have a goofy soft side at the top of the stroke. It causes the sled to rock back and fourth really easy for the first little bit before it starts the compression. Without the stabilizer bar in, things have to be very equal from side to side pressures or it is a nightmare to ride.
Hey I have an 03 vertical escape im trying to put WE shocks on, from an '09 dragon. ever heard of anyone doing this?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
If they'll physically fit, I'm sure somebody has. That said, even if the center lengths are close, they're still not a great match: a-arm vs trailing arm geometry mean the spring rates and valving will be off. Still probably better than the plain factory shocks – if that's all you've got – but the two front ends are very different animals. What shocks does your current sled have? I've got an '02 EDGE 600 that I run a rebuilt set of Vertical Escape shocks in. They're RydeFX brand clickers all around (except for the front track shock) and the best shock you'll get without a long search for a period aftermarket set or a very expensive custom shock set. I got three from a parted out VE, plus one from ebay to complete my set. While it might take a while to get and/or rebuild them, there are still enough around. They will be borderline garbage unless/until they're rebuilt, but if they're not beat to death, they can be made better than new with a good rebuild. Given that they're built for the EDGE RMK, I'd go that direction, especially if you already have them, over an upgrade that isn't.

Premium Features